2004 Olympics: anybody care?
rarnom Wrote:Yah, sometimes the olympics just seem boring now. When you compare it with stuff like the 'strongman' competitions. There is just something awesome about a guy doing a dead lift with a volkswagen.
I am going to eat my words right now about the olympics being 'boring'. I have been watching them every night and it has been pretty rad...
I thought the same as u but then changed my mind, but now ive changed my mind again. ITs just plain boring now.
Quote:Originally Posted by Andromeda18_
Well, if there was a a judging mistake that means the gold medal was wrongfully awarded and therefore it should be returned.

Would that happen in American or Europen Football... take for an example a player stepped out of bounds, but stepps back in and scores the winning points. LAter after the game is over they review the tapes and see he should have been disqualified and there for change the score and now the other team loses the game with no chance to try and score again. No way...

Plus by just looking at the tape they have to review the whole event and all the game show talkers have said he (the Korean crying foul) would lose points because he held four times (you are only allowed 3 holds) that would lower his score even more even after it was upped due to an error. Should Paul Hamm be punished for this no way.

As for Alexei Nemov... he recivied a lower score then he should of I am in complete agreement, but he failed to due a requirment. That alone takes him out of a gold or silver I believe he deserved bronze. As for what happen. You need to that Paul Hamm again, why you ask for the same reason he is in trouble for the first thing. If he had went up and did his routine befor eth judges changed the score, guess what they would have been able to change it. Him holding off allowed the crowed to get more ups and bring the judges to thier senses and allowed for a change. Now would this have happen in another sport... I think not...
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
I have nothing against Paul Hamm, he's a wonderful gimnast. When I said the medal should be returned I was speaking about such situations in a general way.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
morgorath Wrote:Would that happen in American or Europen Football... take for an example a player stepped out of bounds, but stepps back in and scores the winning points. LAter after the game is over they review the tapes and see he should have been disqualified and there for change the score and now the other team loses the game with no chance to try and score again. No way...
Somehow, I don't think that's a good anology with what happened. It wasn't a judgement error, rather it was a technical error, giving a start value of 9.9 instead of 10.

This is my anology. A team score a touchdown and ref only give them 3 points for a touch down. And the team loses by 1 point. I don't think that will go over well if that happens in American football.
hbk101 Wrote:This is my anology. A team score a touchdown and ref only give them 3 points for a touch down. And the team loses by 1 point. I don't think that will go over well if that happens in American football.

You're using an example that would never ever ever happen in a million years in the NFL. If you want to be more realistic, you can look at when a ref blows a call leading to a score that makes a team lose a game. Once the game is final, it's final. The NFL admits it was a bad call and they screwed up, but they never change the results of the game.
I gotta try that policy of yeah I screwed up but I'm not gonna do anything about it. :p
i watch it when my mom does, but its to boring to watch on my own.
Once the threads of fate are tangled they can never be undone..
Vicious Wrote:You're using an example that would never ever ever happen in a million years in the NFL. If you want to be more realistic, you can look at when a ref blows a call leading to a score that makes a team lose a game. Once the game is final, it's final. The NFL admits it was a bad call and they screwed up, but they never change the results of the game.
Again, you are using a flowed analogy. Your example is a judgement error by ref. What happened in gymnastic was different in nature. It was a technical error. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been such a big controversy in the first place. I'll give another analogy that actually happened. A few years ago, during a women's volleyball game, a team won a crucial rally. However, somehow, a point was awarded to the other team's score by a mistake. That team went on to win the game. The protest was filed after the game, and the whole game got invalidated as a result.

This is a quote from Olympic correspondent and news reporter Ray Ratto, who used a similar analogy about the gymnastic controversy:
"this is the equivalent of your team losing the World Series because the umpires forgot how many runs a home run is worth, and then having the commissioner's office say, "Yes, it's worth one, but we're still going to make it a half because we don't want to fuss with all the paperwork"
I couldn't be any less interested in the Olympics.
?The louder he proclaimed his honor, the faster we counted the spoons.? - Ralph Waldo Emerson
http://browncoats.serenitymovie.com/sere...&linkID=36
hbk101 Wrote:Again, you are using a flowed analogy. Your example is a judgement error by ref. What happened in gymnastic was different in nature. It was a technical error. Otherwise, it wouldn't have been such a big controversy in the first place.

I don't care if it's flawed or not and I don't care who gets the gold or the copper or aluminum medal. All I want to reiterate is that no way in hell does a scoring error like the one you described earlier happen in football. They've accidentally given extra downs to a team in the past. That's not a judgement call. That was a 'technical error'. And the results did not get reversed. Once a game is final in the NFL, it's final.
How come the ameri's arnt doing too good in the basketball. I thought they wud just walk through.
fahad17 Wrote:How come the ameri's arnt doing too good in the basketball. I thought they wud just walk through.
Simple we are using a team that has played together for less that 3 weeks and the teams we are facing have been playing together for years. Second we are sending 2nd and 3rd rate playes saying they represnet the best of the NBA. Third the game of international BB is more a kin to American College BB. Which 1/3 of are US team never played a college game in thier lives...

The 'technical error' doesn't add up after they view the tape if they view the tape to see if the routine was a 10.0 then they have to view for other mistakes which there are and still cause the S.Korea to come in third or worse...
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
OK, i dont really get u, bout the whool collage rule.