mormon country
True the amish are mostly North Eastern USA but I have heard of them having communities in WI, MN, Eastern WA and Iowa

Quote:Originally posted by elcoholic
Ahh, I see now, thanks. Christian religion is kinda getting smaller in my region. People who believe in God are in the minority. Its still big in the farm regions but not in the city's. Never heard of the book of mormons though. I'll look it up sometime.

So do these american young men come to your country to try and convert people to their religion or something (is it an american religion)?

The same has been happening here in Portugal but the majority of people are still believers. I for one am an atheist as are all of my friends.
And yes, that's exactly what the mormon do. It's just like Nina said. But they're very nice people, they never force their beliefs on others, they just talk about it.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Quote:Originally posted by Mantis421
True the amish are mostly North Eastern USA but I have heard of them having communities in WI, MN, Eastern WA and Iowa

Actually, as one from the North East, I can tell you that the last "Shaker" (a form of Amish) died more than a couple of years ago. However in Penn, there are Amish communities every where.
"MADE IN HEAVEN, FORGED IN HELL"
Can someone explain to me what exactly Amish people are? I mean, I know the whole no modern technology thing, but what else makes them so different from everyone else?

Thanks in advance.
They don't believe in modern technology. They prefer to live simply. They tend to be fairly religious. One type of Amish community, the Shakers, took it to an extreme where you could get married, but you were not allowed to live together. Men lived in one building, women in another. They only adopted children.
Don't they have like one or two years in their teens that they go live in the 'normal' world to party till they drop and after that they decide if they want to live in the Amish or 'normal' community? I know there is atleast one amish community that does this cause I saw a documentary about them.
Quote:Originally posted by Andromeda18_
And yes, that's exactly what the mormon do. It's just like Nina said. But they're very nice people, they never force their beliefs on others, they just talk about it.

I'm mormonBig Grin , maybe that is part of the reason I am a nice guy...

Yah, I spent 2 years in the white shirt and tie as well, in Russia. It was great.
Quote:Originally posted by elcoholic
Don't they have like one or two years in their teens that they go live in the 'normal' world to party till they drop and after that they decide if they want to live in the Amish or 'normal' community? I know there is atleast one amish community that does this cause I saw a documentary about them.

It might be, but it wasn't that way with the Shakers.
What is funny is that Utah kind of creeps me out when I go there, even though I am mormon, there is something I don't really like about being surrounded by mormons on a daily basis...:eek:
yeah, and good luck trying to buy alcohol. shit my dad asked for wine at this restuarant and the people looked at him like he was crazying and started laughing.
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
Quote:Originally posted by Homeless Joe
yeah, and good luck trying to buy alcohol. shit my dad asked for wine at this restuarant and the people looked at him like he was crazying and started laughing.

One funny thing I saw was that there was this beer called 'Polygamy Porter', I am sure some mormons would find that offensive, but I thought it was classic.