Poll: Opinion on Akira?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
It's Akira, 'nuff said.
40.00%
18 40.00%
It's good, but not the best.
24.44%
11 24.44%
Mehh.. it's alright.
17.78%
8 17.78%
It sucks.
6.67%
3 6.67%
Couldn't sit through it..
0%
0 0%
Never saw it.
11.11%
5 11.11%
Total 45 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Akira
Just saw Akira (for the first time). I am left with some mixed feelings: likes, dislikes and a little confusion.

I guess it was worth a viewing.

Just wondering what you thought of this anime.. uh.. classic?
I only think it's a classic because of [b]when[/] it was released. It was one of the 1st anime brought over here. And the artwork in it is awesome for that time period. The detail in it is amazing for 1988. If it was released now, it would be nothing more than average IMO.
I enjoyed the movie. I suggest reading all the manga, it makes alot more sence if you do. The movie is somehow like the beginning and end of the manga put together.
I actually thought the animation was pretty good, besides the dated character designs. But, your right Vicious it would be average today.

I like the voice acting (re-done version). I liked how they pronounce "akira" correctly. I also liked Johnny Yong Bosch playing Kaneda. It was like having Vash playing, IMO, the best character in the movie.

I'll probably watch it again.. this time I'll know what to expect and I can catch things that I didn't the first time to get a better understanding of what's going on.

Thanks -spike-
I cant question akira it is awsome nothing less. I cant believe ppl think otherwise. I cant fault it
Quote:Originally posted by fahad17
I cant question akira it is awsome nothing less. I cant believe ppl think otherwise. I cant fault it

Maybe because the story made no sense. Maybe because the Akira phenom was never explained whatsoever. Maybe because we have no clue as to WHY Tetsuo receives his powers. Maybe because we don't know what happened to Kaneda near the end with teleportation. It was fun to watch as an action film, but anything more is delving into the art of "pulling it out of your ass"-dom that anime seems to hit more often than not.
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
Maybe because the story made no sense. Maybe because the Akira phenom was never explained whatsoever. Maybe because we have no clue as to WHY Tetsuo receives his powers. Maybe because we don't know what happened to Kaneda near the end with teleportation. It was fun to watch as an action film, but anything more is delving into the art of "pulling it out of your ass"-dom that anime seems to hit more often than not.

Read the manga and you will find all of those facts out.
Quote:Originally posted by -spike-
Read the manga and you will find all of those facts out.

I don't care about the story, to be honest. I'm saying it's a shitty movie since it doesn't address any of those points.
I don't care about the story, to be honest. I'm saying it's a shitty movie since it doesn't address any of those points.

LOL, true. But its known for haveing groundbreaking animaiton for the time it was released, not haveing a great story.
-Sigh-
- The Original Lord Of Darkness -
"Ahh The Murthless Laugh of the Damned"
For the mere fact that it was brought to the US is groundbreaking enough to put in the top 5 anime films that changed the genera forever. If you are looking for a story watch any movie from the Studio Ghibli Collection. Akira did something the others had not at that point. I enjoy it from the same stand point I enjoy "Citizen Cain" they were earthquakes in there industries cause other compaines to change to keep up with the demand and presitends they set forth.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
Akira was one the first anime movies I enjoyed so much cause it made me think for a second as to what caused the story and how the story came to be. For me if a movie can make me think or get really into the action while still keeping a good story I will enjoy it.

Akira for the time is was released actually had computer graphics in it. If you don't believe me check the credits you will see some folks did computer generated graphics for the movie.

Oh yeah if you wanna see some funny stuff look on the wall when Kaneda destorys the bike and you will see a penis has been graffitied on the wall. And also if you look on the wall when Kaneda is in prison you will see someone graffitied a naked woman on the wall.
I didn't like the movie at all, story wise that is. The manga is so-so but the movie sucks (IMO).
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Maybe because the Akira phenom was never explained whatsoever.
This was one of the things that I thought could have been explained better or at all for that matter. I thought if they explained that it would explain the opening scene... the explosion in 1988. Which would otherwise be pointless. I guess since they didn't do that much explaining it is pointless, isn't it? Other than the fact that they briefly mentioned it.
it's a clasic and thats it. A pinacle of 80's animation!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Akira 2019 instore matrixsoul 2 1,888 06-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Cidien
  Akira British R2 Limited Edition gubi-gubi 5 2,934 08-13-2004, 06:23 AM
Last Post: gubi-gubi
  Akira SirChico 0 929 06-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Last Post: SirChico
  Akira Metier9 0 1,031 01-21-2004, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Metier9
  akira and lupin the 3rd live-action movies? dodgy! sanosuke 21 10,189 05-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Last Post: kakoi_sugoi_yama