Poll: Opinion on Akira?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
It's Akira, 'nuff said.
40.00%
18 40.00%
It's good, but not the best.
24.44%
11 24.44%
Mehh.. it's alright.
17.78%
8 17.78%
It sucks.
6.67%
3 6.67%
Couldn't sit through it..
0%
0 0%
Never saw it.
11.11%
5 11.11%
Total 45 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Akira
Quote:Originally posted by israfel
it's a clasic and thats it. A pinacle of 80's animation!

A classic, maybe. But, then again, Pong is a classic and an innovation. That doesn't mean it's really really fun. Just a bridge. I'd rather be playing tetris or Castlevania than pong, much like I'd rather watch Cowboy Bebop and Trigun than Akira.
i understand that, but if you say it that way everything is a building block for something better. 10 or 20 years from now will somebody say that about trigun, or cowboy bebop. i'm sure of it. i enjoy it all for what it has to offer.
i understand that, but if you say it that way everything is a building block for something better(which is true anyway). 10 or 20 years from now will somebody say that about trigun, or cowboy bebop. i'm sure of it. i enjoy it all for what it has to offer.

Not really. Not everything spawns something else.
I think it still holds to todays animation, I remember driving 5 hours to go see it back in 1990 and I was blown away. I guess one could compare it to DUNE, you have to read the books to understand. Pioneer did a better job with the translation, but damn I miss those Streamline voice actors. People are now spoiled after watching new stuff like Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, etc etc and really don't give old classics a shot. Morgorath put it best by comparing it to Citizen Kane of animes, you have to respect what it did for the anime industry, specially in the States!!!!
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
It's Akira... Come on.. One of the pinnacles in bringing anime mainstream to the U.S.

Yes, I will agree the movie leaves many holes in the plot line and wondering how Tetsuo got his powers in the first place, etc... But as -Spike- said. "Read the manga and it will all come into place" Is very very true.

Obviously anime that is based off manga is condensed usually and it is the same way when a book is turned into a movie. Things get left out because of entertainment value or the movie would just be too long.

Check out the manga and it will be a bit clearer. I still think for the late 80's the animations is awesome. Get the newer version of Akira with the grey plastic case or the metal cover edition. The soundtrack is great too.
Hmmmmm I wonder what version of Akira R1 should I get.
There is:

1. Akira Special Edition- 2 Disks
2. Akira DTS Special Edition -1 Disks
3. Akira Movie Version

Can I get a recommendation?
[Image: WinterSonata.jpg]

A dream is like snow, it falls then it fades away through time...

~Ryoku Slayer~
DTS Special Edition is just the movie disc from the 2 Disc special edition. I dunno what the "movie version" is in relation to the first 2. I'd only buy an Akira DVD if it included the original ENglish dub.
I believe the movie version is the old school version with the original english voice acting. I loved the old school english dub a lot more cause all the voices were from common animated series.
Quote:Originally posted by tsunami
I believe the movie version is the old school version with the original english voice acting. I loved the old school english dub a lot more cause all the voices were from common animated series.

where do you get this "movie version"?
I was wondering the same, seeing I hate the redub.
[Image: ShinnSig.jpg]
[ #Uke-Fansubs current projects: Gundam SEED Destiny ]
http://www.animecornerstore.com/akirabrdvd.html

it is the first pick out of the three I think. I heard around here that the first pic (aka Geneon Signature Series) is the movie version of it.
[Image: WinterSonata.jpg]

A dream is like snow, it falls then it fades away through time...

~Ryoku Slayer~
it's not that easy to obtain, my friend owns it and he's very weird about it. i've watched it and i do agree that the original dub is better than the current one. i would burn it and send it too you guys if it wasn't on vhs.
it's not that easy to obtain, my friend owns it and he's very weird about it. i've watched it and i do agree that the original dub is better than the current one. i would burn it and send it too you guys if it wasn't on vhs.

I also have the old dub on VHS. Look around on Ebay for it. I don't usually ever watch the akira dub since I prefer the jap version more. But I have realized that the newer dub on my Special Edition Akira DVD is a lot different. It seems to say different curse words, usually more or more harsh than the original.
I remember driving to Chicago to see the North American premiere of Akira back when it was first released here. It will always stand out as one of the main anime movies that got me seriously into anime.

I also read the manga as it was being released by First Comics and thought it was one of the best things I'd ever read.

I currently have the R1 special edition in the tin box as well as an old copy of the VHS tape. I enjoy the original voices a bit better, probably because it's what I remember from watching the first time. On the other hand, the new translation from the more recent release is MUCH better over all and clears up a number of questions that were left hanging in the first movie.

This is one movie that I prefer subtitled as opposed to dubbed just because the English voice actors either feel too cartoony or too wooden. If I have to watch the dubbed version with a friend, I lean towards the newer release just because of the quality of the translation.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
The manga is superb. It is not something i'd read normally but it dragged me in and i had to collect it monthly back then. The anime is just too confusing. Non-anime friends used to ask me why i like anime after they watched that... i was like don't ask me about that...

To me it is an anime which has a strong appeal to westerners than your average anime movie.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Akira 2019 instore matrixsoul 2 1,888 06-02-2005, 01:38 AM
Last Post: Cidien
  Akira British R2 Limited Edition gubi-gubi 5 2,933 08-13-2004, 06:23 AM
Last Post: gubi-gubi
  Akira SirChico 0 929 06-14-2004, 04:16 PM
Last Post: SirChico
  Akira Metier9 0 1,029 01-21-2004, 02:45 AM
Last Post: Metier9
  akira and lupin the 3rd live-action movies? dodgy! sanosuke 21 10,178 05-23-2003, 02:52 PM
Last Post: kakoi_sugoi_yama