Poll: How was your first anime translated?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
My first time was Dubbed
89.13%
41 89.13%
My first time was Subbed
8.70%
4 8.70%
My first time wasn't translated
0%
0 0%
Who can remember that far into the past?
2.17%
1 2.17%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The first anime you remember watching.
Another thread on this board has me wondering about this.

For all of us anime junkies who actually spend the time to go online and chat about anime, was the very first anime you watched subtitled or dubbed.

This thread isn't about seeing which is better. It's pretty much been established that is a matter of personal preference.

I want to know about the first time you saw a show that made you want to see another. Can you remember back that far? Did you see some raw show without any translation and just want to know what the heck was being said? Were you at a friends house who showed you a subtitled show that blew you away? Was it a TV show that sparked your curiosity?
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
My Neighbor Totoro, English Dubbed, an exchange student we hosted got it for us, he also got us Castle of Cagliostro. I guess he wanted to show us the best (Miyazaki).

This was a long time ago... I didn't really get into anime and start buying it until much later.
Im sure mine must of been the UK VHS of the Akira dub over 10 years ago... If not it would of been another Manga Video release...
I saw alot of anime when I was a kid (15+ years ago) without knowing it was anime on tv (transformers etc.) and that was all dubbed. But I regarded those as just cartoons. First anime that I knew was anime was Ninja Scroll and I saw it eng. dubbed. What got me hooked was DBZ also dubbed.

I don't think it matters what you see first in regards to the preferences we have now. I do know if DBZ wasn't dubbed I would have never watched all of it becuase I would have dismissed immediatly. I guess you could say I've always been biased negatively towards listening to a language I don't understand.
First would be Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) back in 1979-80. It was on TV and, of course, dubbed.

However, I'll admit that I didn't know it was anime so the first would probably be Akira in '93 and that was a dubbed VHS. A couple of months afterwards the BBC showed the subbed version on TV.
Playing: Final Fantasy X-2, Silent Hill and MGS (PSX).
Watching:

My Anime Collection
The first anime I seen was Sailor Moon..The dubbed version on tv..Kristy
If all flower's were roses, they wouldn't be as sweet.
First saw Iria on the sci fi channel, dubbed. She is an awesome, awesome woman. My heroine!
The first anime I remember watching was over 10 years ago so I don't even remember it's name. I watched it with subtitles back in the days when anime here was broadcasted in Japanese with Portuguese subtitles (nowadays it's dubbed). All I remember is that it was about a girl with magical powers.
I think I was four, so about 22 years ago. With Marco, Yamato, Astroboy, Kimba the White Lion and other anime that came on at that time in Peru. However I really got into anime with Robotech, not Macross, ROBOTECH!!!! Hellz yeah those were the days.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
Ugh...Robotech.

Anyways, the first anime I remember watching was probably the original 0079 Gundam, about 18 years ago. Of course, that's not to say I hadn't watched any other titles earlier, just that I was too young to have remember if I did. I watched Macross, along with tons of other titles, a few years later.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
Ugh...Robotech.

Hellz Yeah Robotech!!! Praise Carl Macek!!! If not for him the anime industry in America would not have begun as early as it did. 0079 was awesome I remeber watching that as a kid , but it was still no Yamato.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
i remember watching transformers when i was little, i just thought it was like any other cartoon. the first time i remember watching anime and knowing it was anime would have to be dbz or sailor moon on tv, it was dubbed.
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
1st anime I saw would have to be Speed Racer in like 81-82. But since I was so young, I could never remember what it was called. All I remembered was in the theme song, they kept saying 'Grocery Racer'. :o It wasn't until years later when I saw it on MTV that I realized they were actually saying 'Go Speed Racer', but still didn't realize it was anime.

But the 1st anime that I saw that I KNEW was anime would have to be Ninja Scroll.
Astroboy! Who knows how many years ago that was... remember watching it in the mornings before going to school... could have been as early as kindergarten, like 20years ago.
[Image: bluetmp2.jpg] <-- Look, a broken link!

My Shiny Region 1 Anime Collection
My first were speedracer and transformers when I was little. My friends rented a Castle of Crystawhatever it is *vhs not dvd* (dvd's didn't exist at that time lol) and it was great. (Didn't even know they were anime) Many years later I saw a DBZ marathon on CN and even though Pioneer did a horrible job with the editing/voice acting the show was so cool! I was hooked on dbz after that and other anime soon followed. I never knew just how heavily edited it was until recently. I'm currently watching the hk dragonbox set and it's awesome!

First anime I ever owned was Ninja Scroll.