Poll: How was your first anime translated?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
My first time was Dubbed
89.13%
41 89.13%
My first time was Subbed
8.70%
4 8.70%
My first time wasn't translated
0%
0 0%
Who can remember that far into the past?
2.17%
1 2.17%
Total 46 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

The first anime you remember watching.
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha, this thread was better than a soap opera, not that i watch soap opera's or anything.......lol
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
Quote:Originally posted by Homeless Joe
not that i watch soap opera's or anything.......lol

Um hmmm . . . Rolleyes
Well, unlike soap operas, which rarely come to an end, I will conclude this argument.

I apologize for some of the things said, particularly the manner of which I said it. My stance on english dubs has not changed (you all should know what it is by now), but I'll be a little more sensitive next time. Now let's put this matter behind us and continue our daily forum lives.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
Well, unlike soap operas, which rarely come to an end, I will conclude this argument.

I apologize for some of the things said, particularly the manner of which I said it. My stance on english dubs has not changed (you all should know what it is by now), but I'll be a little more sensitive next time. Now let's put this matter behind us and continue our daily forum lives.

Thanks for stepping up and acknowledging that you weren't stating your opinion in the most tactful manner... a few of us could probably retract some of the comments in this thread after it kind of fell to pieces.

...and don't worry, we're all 100% clear on your stance on english dubs, we all know you love them to death. Wink j/k
[Image: bluetmp2.jpg] <-- Look, a broken link!

My Shiny Region 1 Anime Collection
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack

You have gained my respect.
Quote:Originally posted by Jiro Komyoji
You have gained my respect.

Hey... happy birthday, Jiro. Smile
[Image: bluetmp2.jpg] <-- Look, a broken link!

My Shiny Region 1 Anime Collection
i just love happy endings Big Grin but seriously, i'm kinda new here and i'm really glad to see how things turned out. i think it shows a lot about everyones characters here.
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
Quote:Originally posted by SilverMuraki
My first anime was Sailor Moon on the wb. Then I got interested in Cardcaptor Sakura and Escaflowne when the came out on Tv.

Just curious, but do you like the escaflowne dub or do you just like the series regardless of poor voice actors? (Well I think they are anyways)
As odd as it sounds for me to say this, but I didn't mind the Escaflowne dub much. It sounded more natural most dubs I've seen, and that's what's important to me.
Quote:Originally posted by r00ster
Hey... happy birthday, Jiro. Smile

Thank you.Smile
Quote:Originally posted by Homeless Joe
i just love happy endings Big Grin but seriously, i'm kinda new here and i'm really glad to see how things turned out. i think it shows a lot about everyones characters here.

I'll just stay quiet and say nothing then. You don't want to know about my character.
Vicious, this can't be the true ending... otherwise your character would be dead with nobody to mourn you.

This is more like the stranded on an island ending where everyone knows there will be a new conflict next week when someone else starts going on about how only the Japanese know how to tell a good story and everything else sucks these days... tune in for further adventures in the forum.

And Robojack, thank you for your apology. In the past I have had to make similar retractions where I have made inflamatory remarks and I know how hard it can be to publicly admit you could have worded things better. I respect your stance on dubs and am more than a little amused by your admission that you enjoyed the dubs for Escaflowne (which I personally didn't care for).

I'm very happy this was all wrapped up before I left for my vacation.

See you all in two weeks.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Quote:RoboJack I believe you are whitewashed thinking that japanese sounds like chinese. I dare you to say that to a japanese person. I'd expect that from a non-asian.

Actually there are many japanese words which sound like chinese with maybe a couple of tones difference. I am just back from Japan and noted it at a meeting over dinner to some Japanese ppl.

About the only thing i agree with Robojack on is that a chinese dub of an anime retains the meaning better than say and english dub. Plenty of things still seem a bit awkward if they are literally translated but often some jokes can be left intact whereas if translated to english they just would make no sense at all.

----------

Anyway back on topic.... the first anime i remember is Doraemon as a kid back in 82 or 83. It is still my favourite and i finally found loads of the anime when i was in hong kong so i can relive my childhood memories. Big Grin
holly shit, i'm gone for 3 days and i miss out on all the fun. and yes i have played the ghost in the shell game homeless joe, it was ok.

Quote:originally posted by Zagatto
This is more like the stranded on an island ending where everyone knows there will be a new conflict next week when someone else starts going on about how only the Japanese know how to tell a good story and everything else sucks these days... tune in for further adventures in the forum.

i will definately be tuning in. i need my fix. i love conflict.
Quote:Originally posted by CrayonShinChan
whereas if translated to english they just would make no sense at all.

That's why I don't think it's so bad when they make script changes when they do dubs. Most of the time it helps to make it funnier or more familiar for the American viewer. Although there are some total screw-ups like Initial D.

Also, if any of you don't know this yet, ADV just released Super Milk Chan Show with 2 discs. 1 has the original Japanese version and also a dub that accurately translates everything. The 2nd disc has a different dub version with rewrites that makes it much easier for the American audience to understand and relate.

All the reviews I've read so far have enjoyed the rewritten dub better than the accurate one. They found the accurate one to be boring. Which just goes to show, accuracy or being true to the original isn't always as great as everyone thinks it is (as far as the dub is concerned anyways).

Quote:Originally posted by israfel
i love conflict.

So do I. But I like participating in them even more. Big Grin