Recommendations for introducing a girl to anime.
As others have said, it's a good idea to find out what kind of movies the girl likes and then take it from there. Stereotypes are meant to be broken, and usually are when you get to know a person. That said, I'm an older chick, and have been trying to get my girlfriends to watch anime. These are some flicks that have impressed them:

Escaflowne: The Movie
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Millennium Actress
Princess Mononoke (everyone loves this one)
Spirited Away (ditto)
Castle in the Sky
Memories (good because you have three distinctively different shorts)
Trust and Betrayal: Director's Cut
Samurai X: The Movie (you may need to explain some of the background first)
Spriggan
Jin Roh: The Wolf Brigade
Cowboy Bebop (movie or series, but I'd go with the series; everyone loves this too)

As someone else recommended, it's probably best to pick a flick, rather than a series, unless you get stand-alone episodes, as with Bebeop. Also, there's Tokyo Godfathers, which I haven't tried on my friends, but it's pretty appealing across the boards.

I hope this helps. I'm no anime expert, and am learning about it myself, but so far, it seems there is something for everyone, no matter what the person's taste in movies or TV shows.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
She also enjoyed Trigun but only the earlier episodes.

Same with my sister... she loved Trigun, then Vash got serious. Rolleyes

My sister hates anime, besides Love Hina, Trigun (as mentioned) and (oddly enough) FLCL. Most girls I know like Love Hina. So do my friends..
may be some Shojo anime as they are made with girls in mind?

but dont ask me

Women run from meWink
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
I dont really know because I have never know a girl that even cared about anime or knew what it was. However, I was over at a friends house for a party and his girlfriend and a couple of her friends were over there. I had brought over some anime because I knew that most of the guys there liked anime. So I poped in GTO because they had never seen it. Well after about the first 5 eps. his girlfriend and her friends thought I was perverted. So I wouldnt really suggest GTO for girls.
Also, pretty much any girl I've known that likes anime has always liked Rurouni Kenshin. So you might want to try that one.
Quote:Originally posted by -spike-
his girlfriend and her friends thought I was perverted. .

Major League D'OH Wink
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
i think it's hit or miss with girls liking certain anime, my girlfriend loved hellsing and finds mahoromatic funny as hell. it just depends on the girls interests i guess.
Well, me and my friends have always liked the magical girl shows, so I'd suggest..

Pretty Sammy
Pretear
Fancy Lala
Someday's Dreamers
Ah my goddess
Magic Users club

Some other choices might be..

Escaflowne
Ceres
Risky Saftey
Tenchi universe
Karo Kano
Ceres
*~ Tiffy~*

"Thank you God!! I've got... my PRINT CLUB!!!"

My R1 Collection

My list wish
Escaflowne worked for me.

In this case I would reccommend the series over the movie.
Definetly Spirited Away. Any Miyazaki film will work. A lot of chicks I've shown My Neighbor Totoro to loved it. They're suckers for that little girl and the little Totoros.
yup i agree most girls like kenshin, and ive met some that like fruit basket and cowboy bebop
"Focus upon your opponent's destiny. Bring it to them on the end of one perfect cut." -Kakita's The Sword
Well me and my friends like..

fruits basket
fancy lala
cardcaptor sakura
full moon wo
hana yori dango
marmalade boy
escaflowne tv series
slayers
pretear
di.gi.charat
tenchi in tokyo
last exile
full metal panic 2
fushigi yuugi
love hina
i my me strawberry eggs
Millenium Actress
Saishuuheiki Kanojo
kaleido star
super gals!
kodomo no omocha
someday's dreamers
kare kano
ai yori aoshi
ghibli movies
princess nine
wedding peach
magic night rayearth

Well that should be enough for now...
If all flower's were roses, they wouldn't be as sweet.
Since your friend is a girl, you should start with Shoujo anime. Here are some titles that she might like:

Fruits Basket
His and Her Circumstances
Studio Ghibli Movies
Fushigi Yugi
Ai Yori Aoshi+ Enishi
Love Hina
Angelic Layer
Someday's Dreamers
Ceres, Celestial Legend
Pretear
I My Me Strawberry Eggs
Ah! My Goddess
Memories Off
Sailor Moon
Marmalade Boy
Mahoromatic
Chobits
Sister Princess
One

These are my favorite titles and I think she might like them. Smile
[Image: WinterSonata.jpg]

A dream is like snow, it falls then it fades away through time...

~Ryoku Slayer~
All the girls I know that like anime are CRAZY about Inuyasha. My girlfriend already likes several so I dunno, instead of mentioning what I think, I'll just list the ones I know she likes. One thing though, make sure it has romance and a lot of cuteness in it, that tends to be the most attention grabbing to girls (ones I know anyway)... lol

Inuyasha
Rurouni Kenshin
Tenchi Muyo
Trigun
Fushigi Yuugi
Chobits
FLCL
Wolf's Rain
DBZ (she used to like it, not much now)

I'd have to ask her and update the list accordingly. What Kakomu said is the most true though, just find anime similar to the movies and shows they like because everyone is different, what one girl likes will always be a little/a lot different from another.
[Image: TrigunSig2.jpg]
Kind of an old thread but thought i'd reply as i'm fighting (and losing) to get my girlfriend into anime. Funny thing is the only one she's liked much so far is Hellsing lol. I've shown her some of Trigun and Gundam wing but she didn't like either. Cant believe she didn't like Trigun. =/ Crazy girl.