ipod vs. other playas
Kak, you've annoyed me a bit in the past, but now I love you.

You've said everything I wanted to say.

Go play dreamcast.
<a href="http://elotroladodelburro.tripod.com">Website</a>
Quote:Originally posted by ZeroInterrupt
Kak - do not get the 410.. you will be very unhappy with it. The interface is clunky and hard to use and the software only downloading/recording sucks. if you can find a n707, 710, 810 or 910, I think you would be happier. Hell they even make a sports model in a shock-proof case but I venture to say it probably has the same internals as the 410. Just keep in mind that if it does not say "net-md" or specify long play times (in the excess of 320 minutes) it may be a standard mini-disk player and cannot record (or convert) MP3's

how exactly does the interface of the 410 differ from the rest (and how is it different from play/stop/pause/next/back/rewind/fast-forward)? Also, doesn't the 410 utilize the same software as just about any other MD player? Is the sound quality different? Basically, could you elaborate on why its inferior in more detail?

Quote:Originally posted by ElVaquero
Kak, you've annoyed me a bit in the past, but now I love you.

You've said everything I wanted to say.

thanks Big Grin
It only lets you grab data from the PC via usb (no line in for analog and or unit to unit recording/copying/microphone).. if that is all you are looking for then pick one up. As far as the sound quality I venture to say it is probably the same Digital to Analog converter so essientally they'll sound the same . The models I mentioned - 700's and up - let you record normally, meaning they have a line in, or from one device to another (another cool feature), basically they are more flexable in how you record (i used mine to record some of my college lectures). The 410, if they are anything like the n505 (which i believe they are) do not use the same software as the more expensive models. If you are interested in checking out the software that came with mine, let me know...

-Zero
Well, all I was looking for was the normal functions of any mp3 flash player, that is, plug it in, record, take it out and listen to it while I go running or working out. I don't need to record from any other medium (otherwise, I'd buy a mini0-cassette recorder).
iPod is major league sweet!

40gb AWESOME-O

and mine was off the back of a *cough* truck and it only cost £100

Big Grin
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
i think ipods are a ripoff top get cause i just bought a 20gb R ca lyra A/V which alos stores pictures for the same price i could have gotten a 15 gb ipod
Woe to those who call evil good and good evil
I'm kind of surprised that nobody has mentioned the SmartDisk FlashTrax as an alternative player.
It's available in sizes up to 80GB!!!! (also not cheap)

It has a display screen to show images as well as basic .avi and .mov files (although it doesn't support MPEG-4 or new Quicktime movies yet).

Check out the details at http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Digita...shTrax.asp

These things are mostly being marketed towards digital photographers who need a portable means of storing photos in the field but from what I've read, the MP3 playback is first rate.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
my mom just told me something about her iPod. She currently has to back up all her mp3s, since the iPod will actually delete all song files on the device if it doesn't find it on the computer. Not cool if you rip your CDs only to put on an HD player (like her) and don't want them all to take up Space on the computer. Very innefficient to have space taken up on two HDs.
its something to do with combating piracy!

it blows!
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
another thing about the ipod that sucks: THere is NO manual shut off. Which means that you can't turn the Damn thing off is something bad is happening or to save battery life.
mine turns off, it goes in sleep mode then it turns off
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/