Neon Genesis: Fav Anime... Any Suggestions?
eva is about the best anime somebody's never seen before or someone who's just getting into anime..

if your just getting into anime its gonna be a good show but if you seen other series before it well the show becomes a chore to watch..

i'll make it simple avoid EVA if youve seen these

tench muyo universe
slayers
record of lodoss war
robotech hard to do since everyone on this planet has seen it..
gundam wing or G gundam
dual
genocyber
akira
ghost in the shell
md geist
ninja scroll
vampire hunter d
bio hunter
berserk

i had eva on VHS a while ago its was fun at first but then it became hard to enjoy..but what you said about the biblical things it does make you think
alot.

if i happen to find it for say 25 t0 35 bucks i will watch it again just to see if anythings changed.

good anime if you want a mind f&ck
I'd recommend EVA to only those who are used to western culture. EVA's more of a shock-factor anime for westerners, since it really shatters the perceptions of most people when they think of animated shows. But if you're already past that shock-factor stage, then EVA's merely a casual watch. If you'll been watching anime for most of your life, then EVA shouldn't be anything new, shocking, nor spectacular.
Ok, now I've seen alot of anime I enjoyed more than Eva, but seriously back in 96 and 97 what other anime was more controversial or more fucked up than Evangelion. I have been watching anime since I was 3 I'm 26 now, growing up in Peru I have seen alot of anime that has never been aired here in America, yet nothing really fucked me up more than episodes 25 and 26 of Evangelion. True in recent years there has been more shocking and meaningful and brain fucking anime to have come out of Japan. On a side note Akira is the equivalent to Dune, you would enjoy it more if you read it.

So to get back to the topic too I will also suggest watching
Babel II (kid, giant robot, nuff said)
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
EVA is seriously overrated, perhaps one of the most in North America, next to Akira.

*Deploys flame shield*

But seriously, I see some people praising it as if a gift from god, and I just wanna kick some EVA fanboy ass.

Quote:[i]
Rahxephon is better than Eva.........better stories...better development...

Well, that's my own opinion.....Eva is sort of overrated

I agree to the fullest.. Jesus that ending makes me more angry than anything.. After 26 episodes of watching you get "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" with some weak ending. Blah. Everything is all ok. It wasn't good.
Rahxephon is a hundred times better than EVA-- I have alot of respect for Eva ( own both EVA and Rahxephon ) but who ever wrote and animated the last few episode of EVA - was bleeding it dry , hey scenes where they have folks standing in a Elevator( doing nothing ) for three or four minutes doesnt help the show- sounds to me like they were just trying to get it over with, or they ran out of money for animation ( which is probably what really happened )-- really limp-- Out of respect I will say it is the pioneering animation for alot of series --but it is way over rated !

a good series to watch ( which is where this thread started )
----Outlaw Star ( different - but its a Great Show )
I had to fast forward the last ep of EVA where he is just sitting on the chair.. That's how slow and bad it was. :p
My Current Collection ALL R1 (Will Give You An Idea of My Likes and DisikesSmile

Neon Genesis Evangelion Perfect Collection
Neon Genesis Evangelion-Death and Rebirth
Neon Genesis Evangelion- End of Evangelion
Gundamn 0083 Perfect Collection-VHS, NTSC-Jap Dialogue Eng Sub
Gundam 0080 Perfect Collection-VHS, NTSC- Jap Dialogue Eng Sub
Jin Roh
Ghost In The Shell
X the Movie
Blood
Patlabor 1
Patlabor 2
Patlabor 3
Princess Mononoke
Shadow Skill 1 and 2
Dragon Ball Season 1 - hate now- Neone Who Wants this, I would be glad to accept an offer
Robotech Season 1 - hate now- Neone Who Wants this, I would be glad to accept an offer

My HK Collection- NOTHING!

Lets hope that starts growing soon, so far i want:
RahXephon - (#1)
Argentosoma (#2)
Noir (#3)
Full Metal Panic (#4)
Tekkaman Blade Perfect Collection

Small Collection compared to the rest of you lol

O and on another note, is the patlabor series anything like themovie, because the descriptions make it seem lightehearted, but the movies were pretty serious and had really amazing plots. Probably some of my favorite anime.
Oh, and im no evangelion fanboy, but it is a truly awesome series, i have no problem accepting it had *few* faults, but it was amazing, and still is. Now some people may need action every five minutes, i personally dont, and the character depth and psychology aspects of that show alone were amazing, let alone the plot.

On and to respond to a post above, about the congratulations ending, i disagree, the ending was the movies, not the final episodes, and those last two episodes, although quite strange, really represented the depth of shinji's character, and were good in their own right. In terms of plot though, the movie ends with the end of evangelion.
The End of EVA was weak too. I highly disagree with what you say. Plot and character develop? Not really.. You want a real psychological anime go get Lain.