Neon Genesis: Fav Anime... Any Suggestions?
I am a huge fan of Evangelion, by far in my opnion best anime. Now i know that Rahxephon is supposed to be similar and amazing, so thats one i want, any other suggestions based on my appreciation for Evangelion?
Rahxephon is better than Eva.........better stories...better development...

Well, that's my own opinion.....Eva is sort of overrated.Big Grin
Well uhhh thanks, but my question was whether u know of any other animes, similar in nature to evangelion.
You should watch Dual. It's sort of a parody of tenchi and Eva. Where this kid gets transprted to a parallel world and has the power to control this EVA like mecha and eventually all the girls end up falling for him. It's funny though because he has so much more power than the other 2 mechas which are supposed to be identical, but are piloted by 2 girls. Like I said, basically a parody of Eva and Tenchi.
hahah sounds funny.... What do u guys think of Argentosoma... someone elserecommended it to me...
oops...didn't read properly....:p

I don't think there's any just like Eva. I'm not a really huge mecha fan.
But other mecha animes I can think of that are pretty good would be:

Escaflowne
Gasaraki
Argentosoma
Dual Parallel
Super Dimensional Fortress Macross Box Set
Generator Gawl
Vandread First & Second Stages
Now And Then (Not sure if you could classify this as Mecha since it's more of a tragedy)
Tekkaman Blade (NOT TB2:mad: ) It's my fave Sci Fi and have to promote it every chance I get. You would really enjoy it. plus it's 49 eps!Wink Smile Big Grin Cool
- The Original Lord Of Darkness -
"Ahh The Murthless Laugh of the Damned"
Definitely The Dual, the Parallel Trouble Adventure. I cannot think of any other show that imitated Eva more closely. On top of it, it has more humor and a happy ending.
I haven't watched any myself but the Gundam series is a pretty popular mecha series. Someone elso can probably give suggestions of which Gundam series are the best since there are so many.
IF you want my honest opinion, I'll give it to you. When I first watched EVA, which was around 5 years ago, I found it to be quite typical in terms of plot. There wasn't exactly the best character development, and nearly all the characters were dysfunctional in some way (paritcularly Shinji, who really pissed me off at times), directed by a lunatic director suffering from depression. It was a good series, a typical anime that had been forcefully crammed with biblical theory, which nearly ran out of money towards the end of the series (which is obvious by the increasingly poor animation). Definitely not in my top 10, maybe not even in my top 20. Maybe in my top 50, but more likely in my top 100 list.

What makes it so revolutionary at times is its art style. It had brought back the trend of having smaller eyes on anime characters, and brought about more realistic proportion for facial structures. This influenced anime series for at least a few years, and made the industry concentrate on a more conservative appearance when designing character art. It seems that now, styles seem to be going off on a tangent again, and becoming more liberal and unrestricted in design. This is a good thing, in my opinion.

But I have to agree that Rahxephon is a better series than EVA. It's easier to watch, with many more likeable characters (and I'm not talking about the lust that many fanboys felt towards Rei in EVA). The main character, Hayato, strikes me as a much more mature and stronger character, and didn't need as many characters to act as a foil in order to develop his character. The story was lovely (with a nice ending), and the art is definitely commendable as well. Those who think Rahxephon as merely an EVA clone should think twice, as EVA took most of its elements from other series also. Bones definitely should be commended for its excellent work with Rahxephon.

I apologize for my poor writing style at the moment, as I just got up not too long ago.
As far as a series that was deep like EVA with giant robots, I can't really think of one, but you could just stick to just watching mechas with good stories. Here are a few I suggest that I didn't see on someone else's list above:

Giant Robo (6 OAV and if you feel lucky maybe the original live action!!)
Mazinger Z (Any of the series that had Go Nagai's characters)
Getter Robo and Armagedon (Another Go Nagai series)
Dan Gai Oh (The original 3 OAV I haven't seen the new ones though)
Gunbuster (Probably my favorite Giant, and I do mean Giant, robot series, it was also done by Gainax.)
Robotech or Macross (Practically the same show but you can see previous forums for the differences.)

Your best bet is just to watch something randomly and finding out if its your cup of tea or not.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
i love EVA. imo, rahxephon is a bad eva clone at best. i had a hard time keeping myself from falling asleep while watching it.

if u truely love EVA, i don't think rahxephon would be something that you'll like, but there are lots of ppl out there who love rahxephon

also, if u are looking for something thats consist of good mecha and character development, i suggest u checkout the any series from the gundam UC timeline: for eg, MS gundam (the original), 0080, 0083 just to name a few
EVA is seriously overrated, perhaps one of the most in North America, next to Akira.

*Deploys flame shield*

But seriously, I see some people praising it as if a gift from god, and I just wanna kick some EVA fanboy ass.
the best part about eva is its philosophical and psychological overtones. shinji's development as a character is amazing. the amount of traumatic events that happen to him and the way they affect his character can be described as moving artwork. the deepness of shinji alone is astounding.

when i first watched eva, it was when i was about 3-4 years ago (15-16) and i liked it because of all the actions. now im about finished my second year of college, and ive taken a few philosophy classes. the last two episodes alone raise so many topics for discussion in the philosophical field. evangelion is more than just entertainment, it is something to be studied.

-Vile
Look, maybe you just saw a one headed monkey carrying two watermelons.
It's really not that amazing, as it's merely the director channeling his growing depression into the main character. You see this a lot in fine art music, and film.