Is it... Star Wars?
Check out this online article that talks about the release date of the original Star Wars Trilogy on DVD.

How long after it's out do you figure we'll see HK rips of this set?
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
I give it within one month after they're released. You???
- The Original Lord Of Darkness -
"Ahh The Murthless Laugh of the Damned"
Quote:Originally posted by DARK OSAMU
I give it within one month after they're released. You???

Ooohhh. I don't know about that. Lucas is very very strict when it comes to anything Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if he's watching those HK's like a hawk and threatens to sue them for everything they're worth if they rip Star Wars. That being said, I'm sure there's still gonna be someone out there who tries to rip it.
Uhhhh somebodies already ripped them? I have all 3 DVD's of Star Wars Original Trilogy Special Edition Region 0's... got them off Ebay some time ago...
Yeah... but those are captures of the VHS originals.
There hasn't been an official DVD production of Star Wars yet so there is no source material to rip it from.

These releases are going to be true anamorphic wide screen releases when they come out.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
I too give it a month before they are ripped.
The monkey with the most
Quote:Originally posted by Vicious
Ooohhh. I don't know about that. Lucas is very very strict when it comes to anything Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if he's watching those HK's like a hawk and threatens to sue them for everything they're worth if they rip Star Wars. That being said, I'm sure there's still gonna be someone out there who tries to rip it.

Sites like d9dvd.com and dtsd9.com sell rips of every hollywood movie and they have them within a month of US releases. They also ripped the Indiana jones boxset so I don't think they will pass up on this opportunity. And then its the same story as anime rips, what can Lucas do to them over there? They won't get arrested because of just star wars and I don't think Lucas has more "power" than other hollywood companies who have been trying to shut them (pressing plants) down for a long time.

Ohh, and I thought the rips sold on ebay were copied from laserdisc.
Ive been waiting for dtsd9 to get in the new screener of Lord of The Rings The Return of the king which has been poping up all over hong kong.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
Yeah... but those are captures of the VHS originals.
There hasn't been an official DVD production of Star Wars yet so there is no source material to rip it from.

These releases are going to be true anamorphic wide screen releases when they come out.

These are Widescreen and they are better quality than a VHS rip.. and were supposed to be santioned by Lucas... He released this stuff over there, and never did bother to release it here in the US... go figure...
Quote:Originally posted by elcoholic
Sites like d9dvd.com and dtsd9.com sell rips of every hollywood movie and they have them within a month of US releases.

I think d9dvd.com is busted. Nothing's on the site, everything's been taken down. Eh...it is not really that expensive to buy R1s regular movie, is it? Except for my animes (both R1s and HKs), all my other movies are originals. They are not really that expensive unless they are OOP or limited edition sets. I checked out dtsd9.com. The rips are only a couple of dollars less than the originals. If you don't want to buy them brand new from retail stores, you could save a buck or two by buying from ebay as used items or just go to your neighborhood video stores to get them when they are a mth old from their street dates. They should cost less than $15, at least my video store only sells them for $10 used.
In most cases with R1 non anime DVDs you're right, I hardley ever pay more than $6 for a DVD unless it's a new release. But one R1 DVD series that I wish I could find in HK because of the huge price is Star Trek: TNG Season Box Sets, they cost about $120 or more new, and not much cheaper used. X-P
[Image: gametz-ad6.gif]
Quote:Originally posted by Japschin
I think d9dvd.com is busted. Nothing's on the site, everything's been taken down. Eh...it is not really that expensive to buy R1s regular movie, is it? Except for my animes (both R1s and HKs), all my other movies are originals. They are not really that expensive unless they are OOP or limited edition sets. I checked out dtsd9.com. The rips are only a couple of dollars less than the originals. If you don't want to buy them brand new from retail stores, you could save a buck or two by buying from ebay as used items or just go to your neighborhood video stores to get them when they are a mth old from their street dates. They should cost less than $15, at least my video store only sells them for $10 used.

d9dvd.com is being set up again. Couple of weeks ago there was nothing on there exept an e-mail adress and now there testing the site again. I have about 200 R2 live action dvd's so I do buy official material. I use this site (and recommend to others) to replace my 400+ movies vhs collection which I can not afford to buy on R2 unless I stop buying the new stuff. I figured i paid the movie companies for the VHS version so I can get the dvd without giving them their cutBig Grin . New movies on dvd in europe cost more like $25 to $30 in stead of $10 to $15 and with the dollar/euro value it saves me an extra 25%. Also you guys in the US have some movies released on dvd BEFORE we get them in the cinema and its a good opportunity for me to see the movies before anyone else over here.
Elcoholic,

Oops, I didn't know that new movies cost that much in Europe. Is that the full retail price? Generally, new dvd movies here, their full retail prices are $29.99 and above, depending on whether are they just regular editions or special editions. But 90% of the stores sell it brand new at about $21. Big retail stores only get them for abt $13 at the distributor while small video stores get them for $17++.
As for VHS movies, dohz...hell of expensive here. LOOONNNGGG time ago, before I started collection movies on DVDs, I bought a lot of VHS movies brand new for US$80 ea. (before they were released to the public for sale). Started with me breaking a 1 day old vhs movie...... the video store showed me the invoice...dohz....had to pay for the cost. Sad

So now I know why you recommend those websites. Big Grin If I have to wait ages before those movies come out in my town, I'd rather get them at the websites if they are direct rips. Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith katherine_jean 97 27,558 06-07-2005, 10:22 AM
Last Post: geo85
  Star Wars Trilogy DVD evilomar 34 10,792 10-04-2004, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Homeless Joe
  Star Wars book gohan32 4 1,816 03-16-2004, 02:20 PM
Last Post: rav96
  Star Wars Kid: Reloaded !!! Atomic Orgasm 12 4,546 07-25-2003, 05:38 AM
Last Post: evilomar
  Star Wars Trilogy Malay LD Rip !!! six_plus_one 8 3,540 07-11-2003, 11:09 AM
Last Post: six_plus_one