Priority Mail?
No one is being senseless about shipping here. We are just being economic and conscientious buyers. How is it such a bad thing to want a good deal? The most I've ever had to pay for shipping on one dvd, from an independent source is four dollars (not counting the only other place I've bought pirate anime from - maybe it's a pirate thing).

Flat shipping rate may be a good idea if you order more than a few dvds, but I would be very surprised indeed if the average buyer here ordered anywhere remotely close to 100, Mathew Malay. The only way this is a deal is if you do buy about three or four dvds at one time. And the only way that is a deal is if you're buying it from an independent dealer like this one. Even from sellers who market their product on used stores like eBay and Amazon, one generally only pays a few bucks for shipping. Actually, the Inuyasha Perfect Collection Vol. 2 which some of us were discussing in another thread, was listed on eBay with free shipping. (Of course, this seller also charged $10 more than I'm expecting it to sell here, but regardless.)

As for seeing if I can find a better deal elsewhere, Matthew Malay, I thought my last post resolved that point. There are no better deals on pirate anime that I know of. If you can find me a better deal, be my guest. Until then I am sticking with Import-Anime. But there's no law against trying to find a good deal, or comparing costs and shipping.
Let's be rid of it, once and for all! I can't carry it for you, Mister Frodo, but I can carry you!
- Samwise. ("Mount Doom", The Return of the King)
Quote:Originally posted by Lasher
But there's no law against trying to find a good deal, or comparing costs and shipping.

However, there's a difference between looking and arguing with the owner on how he set up his store. You would not walk into a store in the mall and argue with the shop owner that his prices were too high and you think he should lower them, would you? He'd laugh at you and tell you to look elsewhere.

JJ is charging $6. Live with it. That's not going to change just because you said it's too high.
[Image: ShinnSig.jpg]
[ #Uke-Fansubs current projects: Gundam SEED Destiny ]
I live in Canada as well and I think $6 US for shipping is fine. It's worth it all the way as I recieved my package in one day (I live across the country too!). I think I know the ebay seller your talking about Lasher, I recently bought four sets from him before finding this site. This site provides the same sets for much, much cheaper. Even if I bought only one dvd with the $6 shipping, it still beats the other price by $3.99. I think one of the only reaons he provides free shipping is because he marks up the prices. Now, I know, being a conscientious when it comes to spending is what all of us do, hell, spending less means more anime, but there's a difference between (like Suzakuseikun said) looking and arguing. JJ doesn't owe us anything. I actually think we owe him for providing us with a great service (both his store and site). Most of us (I would imagine) buy our anime in bulk. I know I get at least 2 titles when ordering (regardless of what site/ebay seller I buy from). Save shipping that way. Really, this site has already saved me more than $20 and that was on my first order with only two items. I'll be doing all my anime shopping here from now on.

*PLUS* There is another import site (that I am a member of) that also has a $6 flat shipping price. They're based in the US and I've never heard any of their customers comment on shipping.
Who's arguing? I was not aware that stating my distaste for a shipping fee and comparing it to other stores I have shopped in constituted arguing. And I am not arguing in any case with Junkie Joe. This is a forum. The discussion is with anyone who wants to participate. Junkie Joe seems to be posting a lot in this thread, but that doesn't mean we're arguing. jeez. You people need to simmer down, and stop taking offense to everything.

Also, Terrex, just because people on another site don't complain doesn't mean I shouldn't. And some of us aren't so rich that we can afford to buy many dvds at once.

And yes, I am grateful to all pirate distributors dor getting to product out there at a better price than the non-pirate product (well, duh, I mean that's the whole point of pirate dvds, isn't it?) but I also keep in mind that the nature of the pirate anime industry is that the dvds are copied and translated and put together for next to nothing, many cases very little care or expense was put into it, and the distributors sell the product for huge profit percentages. I am grateful, but I do realise that Import Anime is making a nice sized profit and isn't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. That's the nature of the industry.
Let's be rid of it, once and for all! I can't carry it for you, Mister Frodo, but I can carry you!
- Samwise. ("Mount Doom", The Return of the King)
Maybe I shouldn't have used the word 'arguing'. I agree with you, you have the right to ask, complain, heck protest the prices if you feel the need. I'm just stating my own opinion on the subject. I understand, up until a year ago, I couldn't even buy sets, let alone buy multiple copies. I'm not a very rich person either, so I understand that some people may take weeks, heck, even months to save up to buy one set (I've been there). I am just suggesting an alternative. And yes, the pirate companies are really doing this to make money, I think most of us know that. I'm not angry or riled up or anything, I was and am just stating my personal opinion =).
Who's arguing? I was not aware that stating my distaste for a shipping fee and comparing it to other stores I have shopped in constituted arguing. And I am not arguing in any case with Junkie Joe. This is a forum. The discussion is with anyone who wants to participate. Junkie Joe seems to be posting a lot in this thread, but that doesn't mean we're arguing. jeez. You people need to simmer down, and stop taking offense to everything.

Also, Terrex, just because people on another site don't complain doesn't mean I shouldn't. And some of us aren't so rich that we can afford to buy many dvds at once.

And yes, I am grateful to all pirate distributors dor getting to product out there at a better price than the non-pirate product (well, duh, I mean that's the whole point of pirate dvds, isn't it?) but I also keep in mind that the nature of the pirate anime industry is that the dvds are copied and translated and put together for next to nothing, many cases very little care or expense was put into it, and the distributors sell the product for huge profit percentages. I am grateful, but I do realise that Import Anime is making a nice sized profit and isn't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. That's the nature of the industry.

JJ isn't making near as much as you'd think. If you'd stop and think about it JJ is just the middle man. He pays FX, Mac, MI, etc.... to get the DVDs here then he sells them for a buck or two more a DVD to us (which is a lot less of a markup than thier competitors). Hell in order to get it from the distrubutors for the kind of prices he gets he has to put alot of money into each order. Most manufactures won't give you a decent price unless you spend hundreds of dollars on pretty much each order there. I mean I even e-mailed MAC's website and they told me basicly that I had to order at least 20 DVDs in order to get them for the same price I pay for here, and basicly a buttload more to get them cheaper. I mean regardless I could probably talk them down in price if I ordered like 70-80 DVDs from them but that's still alot of money.
[Image: gametz-ad6.gif]
Quote:Originally posted by pugmagician
JJ isn't making near as much as you'd think. If you'd stop and think about it JJ is just the middle man. He pays FX, Mac, MI, etc.... to get the DVDs here then he sells them for a buck or two more a DVD to us (which is a lot less of a markup than thier competitors). Hell in order to get it from the distrubutors for the kind of prices he gets he has to put alot of money into each order. Most manufactures won't give you a decent price unless you spend hundreds of dollars on pretty much each order there. I mean I even e-mailed MAC's website and they told me basicly that I had to order at least 20 DVDs in order to get them for the same price I pay for here, and basicly a buttload more to get them cheaper. I mean regardless I could probably talk them down in price if I ordered like 70-80 DVDs from them but that's still alot of money.

Very true. To quote Bella: "It's more a case of our supplier giving us a break for the time being and us passing the savings along to you all. I place my prices at enough profit to pay my employees and set aside a little bit for myself too. "

They're not rolling in the money, they have to take it and turn around to spend it all on the DVDs we order back. I'm sure we wont get a direct answer from JJ, but I'll bet he only makes a few dollars per DVD.
[Image: ShinnSig.jpg]
[ #Uke-Fansubs current projects: Gundam SEED Destiny ]
Plus the Canadian dollar has really gone up these last few months compared to the US dollar, something like 20%. So JJ gets his money in US funds but has to pay the shipping in Canadian funds. It's like there was a 20% increase in shipping for him. Thats why I wont mind the shipping increase thats gonna come
Flat shipping rate may be a good idea if you order more than a few dvds, but I would be very surprised indeed if the average buyer here ordered anywhere remotely close to 100, Mathew Malay. The only way this is a deal is if you do buy about three or four dvds at one time. And the only way that is a deal is if you're buying it from an independent dealer like this one. Even from sellers who market their product on used stores like eBay and Amazon, one generally only pays a few bucks for shipping. Actually, the Inuyasha Perfect Collection Vol. 2 which some of us were discussing in another thread, was listed on eBay with free shipping. (Of course, this seller also charged $10 more than I'm expecting it to sell here, but regardless.)

Maybe some might charge lower shipping rates for one DVD title on eBay and other places. However, it's almost a guarantee that the prices they charge for the titles themselves are higher than the ones you pay here. You either pay MORE for the titles or MORE for shipping. Either way, you pay MORE.

I am sure most would agree with me that when we purchase anime DVDs, we almost always purchase more than one title. For most ppl here, I am sure it averages around 3-4 titles per order. If you are only looking to purchase one title at a time, then perhaps this is not the best place for you. For the rest of us, however, IA is just perfect!

Cheers!
IA is my best pick to purchase HKDVD from. Lowest AC/MAC and competitive MI/AV/FX prices. Customer service is impecable. No qualm/fuss in request defective disk replacement. Prompt reply to email. Fast order processing. And most important of all , he is reliable ;-)

I live in Canada. I'm glad JJ lives in Canada too ;-).