why HKDVD may be played in one DVD player and not in another DVD player?
I'm finding more and more of my HKDVDs can be played in one player and then not the other player. Does it mean the HKDVD encoding is not good? Or, I need to buy a new DVD player? Like the MAC new FY perfect set Seiryu set, the last 4 eps in disk 1 and last 2 eps in disk 3 simply cannot be played on my standalone DVD player but play fine in my laptop player. My instant response has been I should avoid buying new MAC DVD series because they are badly encoded.

I know I've read threads before ppl complaint that some episodes of some disk of some series just couldn't be played. But, only recently I have my own share of such headache.

What part of HKDVD that introduces such no-playable problem comparing to R1/R3?

Thanks.

Ps. I've read Kak's AN broken DVD thread but it's too much work, too complicated, and I prefer to watch HKDVDs on TV.
I can only suspect at this point. I haven't got up to date on DVD structure, so I really can't say. My guess would be multiple factors. First, Region Compatibility. some players may just reject Region 0 DVDs for the hell of it. Codec conformity: Some DVDs may have been encoded using a codec that is slightly out of spec or some sort of funky programming (may have been a menu, or some sort of file has been tampered with). These two problems can also be in conjunction with DVD player sensitivity. Cheaper DVD players are more sensitive, that is using hardware that recognizes only DVDs of Mpeg-2 Spec, and no deviations, so if there may be a slight problem with the DVD, the DVD player will have a fit and not recognize the DVD. Whereas better DVDs players (not necessarily more expensive however) will be able to recognize non-Spec codec encodes and play them just fine (better hardware with more expansive programming).

Like I said before, I'm no DVD officiando, nor do I have any real knowledge on the subject at hand, so this is all speculation, but that's basically all I can surmise.

P.S. - Glad someone read my guide :p
hey l blame the gremlins!!
I also think sometimes when a dvd is printed there are some errors during the printing process.. because my friends dvd player wouldn't even play an R1 dvd that he purchased and it was only disc 2 of the 2 disc set that he bought.. but my dvd player would play it fine..
I was having the same problem as you. I had a Toshiba $250 DVD player but it would not read some of my HK DVD's or some episodes on some DVDs. I had about 10HKDVDs that my Toshiba could not read.

My brother purchased a Mintek $54 at best buy and that crap could read them just fine.
Word of wisdom: If the shoe fix, it must be your size.
Same with my Pioneer DV-333, it had trouble reading MI's Magic Knight Rayearth TV. It eventually did but it couldn't do AV's Karte. Sad
Steve_the_Talking_Pie: Hampsters Bumpin' and Grindin' Since '99.

Region 1: DVD Collection
ive also had similar problems with ranma series 1&2, spirited away and lupin 3rd series 1, they all skip on my dvd player but play fine on my dads and my laptop.

i also blame the gremlins
We could always sodomize the Gremlins till the cows come home. Or at least until we do. Rolleyes
Steve_the_Talking_Pie: Hampsters Bumpin' and Grindin' Since '99.

Region 1: DVD Collection
steve, i like the way you think Big Grin