Divx problems
Just got a new videocard, Radeon 8500LE and when I play my divx files the qulaity doesn't look as good as it were before. There is lots of artifacts around edges. My old videocard was a TNT2 but the files looked better.

Can anyone help me with this?
Quote:Originally posted by "matthewmalay"

Just got a new videocard, Radeon 8500LE and when I play my divx files the qulaity doesn't look as good as it were before. There is lots of artifacts around edges. My old videocard was a TNT2 but the files looked better.

Can anyone help me with this?

Did you change post processing or anything? Also the video card might be doing the resizing when you go to fullscreen and it could have a shitty algo.. ont sure.. but i would recommend trying this filter for playback and see if it improves playback.
http://www.sf.com/projects/ffdshow
Yeah, when I resize it to fullscreen it looks like crap and I already have ffdshow. I think the Post Processing is still the same. It's not to big of a deal though, cause I got the video card for the TV out and the digisubs look pretty good on my TV.

I've got another problem now. I'm trying to rip the first volume R1 of Kare Kano and theres 3 english subtitle streams, the first only has the dialogue, the second has translations of the written Japanese text on the video and the third is both of them. I'm using Gordian Knot and I want to overlay the subs with DireectVobsub but when I ripped the 3rd stream I only get the dialogue and not the translations of the Japanese text.
Hum can you send me the subs.. if you rar them up they should be only a couple megs..
[email protected] and i will look at them.. Btw you are ripping them into the .idx/sub format correct? The only thing i can think of is the translated text is force'd subs and they all show up no matter what.. but please send it to me.. if not pm and i will give you a ftp site you can upload to..
Overlay may not be turned on with the Radeon.

When you rip the subs, are you using Subripper, or just extracting the DVD subs with Vobsub?

If you are using subrip, then I can guide you fairly easily through the process. Just PM me, and I'll give you my AIM name to give you step by step directions.
Well i think he already knows how to do it.. he is just having a few small problems.. but for guides if he needs them just read them from here
http://www.doom9.org/subtitle_guides.htm

Doom9.org one of the best places for ripping guides.. ;o)
the thing is, chances are the rest of the subs are a different color, and NOT a lot of people know how to rip subs of a different color (usually secondary subs) well. My method puts all the secondary subs at the end of the file so that you can adjust their font/color/shadow etc easier than if they were intermixed with the rest.
I guess that is why its easiest to rip with vobsub into the idx/sub format then use SubResync to rip into ssa since it will handle different colors.. ;o) or you can use DVobSub in the idx/sub with force subtitles also.
But the best way is Subrip, since it allows you to use SSA to change the font...THe subs that come with the DVDs are ALL ugly, which is why I never use Vobsub
hehe that is why i said to use SubResync it process's the sub's that are in idx/sub and then it keeps all the color information and stores it in a ssa.. ;o) yea it may be two seperate process's but its less hassle.. or the subs don't look bad if you use the polygonize feature in DVobSub from the idx/sub's it gives them more curves etc.. but takes a bit more cpu power.. ;o) but i guess in the end it all what a person perfers to do.. or which they know the best..
if you have a character matrix for most studios and production companies DVDs, subrip is very easy.
Thanks for the tips guys, I was extracting the subs with Vobsub. I wanted to be able to turn off and on the subs cause I was putting both audio tracks in the avi but since the english dub aint to great I just put the Japanese dialogue and hard code the subs, everything was there when I did that.
I can't seem to perform an inverse telecine when I hard code the subs, it worked before when I didnt hard coded them, does anyone know why this is happening.

About the video card, the overlay is on and working fine. I think it has to do with the deinterlace algo. , is there a way I can turn this off.
make sure you always do the Ivtc before processing the subs.. or resizing... I am not sure what steps you take for your process.. maybe you can post them.. I have done a bunch of encoding so i know many different ways.. ;o)

Also kakomu yes i know that.. but you can do the same exact thing with SubResync in the VobSub package.. Its all incorperated into one package so i perfer to use all that....

Also mattewmalay what you might try and do is make sure that Forced subtitles is turned on in Dvobsub that could be why they wern't showing up..
well I wrote a super long post showing the procedure I used but it got erased so I'll make it short.

I followed the divx5 guide in doom9.org , I got no translations of the written text when I overlayed the subs with dvobsub.

I then tried to hardcode the subs, choose field deinterlace fps was 29.97 cause IVTC wouldnt work. All the subs are there.

How do I hard code the subs after I have performed IVTC. I think I have to use either the textsub or vobsub plugin (dont really know which one) in Nandub or VirtualDub but does this involve completely re-encoding the file again cause I dont feel like doing that.

How can I find out if forced subtitles are on in dvobsub, I clicked on only show forced subtitles and got no subs at all