i know i'm supposed to search but...
Hah, we're confusing you now. You're right about the region codes. It shouldn't affect quality but sometimes there seems to be a difference in R1 and R2 releases.

Quote:i have many 'import' animes... i had always thought these were generally fully licensed by (for example) a hong kong company to reproduce in a compact version?
Publishers like some mentioned here... (assuming they're legit).

You're right except for the licensed part. They just buy the R1 set from america and rip them, put them on less discs and sell them for less. They don't pay licensing fees at all. Mind you they don't burn these discs but they are produced at proffesional pressing plants so durability should be better than a burnt disc.

Now, you can tell if you have a HKDVD pretty easily. Main thing is does it have chinese sub option. If so its a HK. Then, when an R1 show is 6 or 8 discs but you get the same show on less discs (and cheaperWink ) its a HK. They are mostly 3 or 4 discs in a gatefold but there are single discs that look just like the R1. If you have alot of english dubbed sets check for the logo. If its the letters Fx in red and a green circle behind it its a HK and the letters MAC in purple are also from a well known HK company. Check the store section to see the logo's.

Messages In This Thread
i know i'm supposed to search but... - by Zagatto - 12-20-2005, 04:55 AM
i know i'm supposed to search but... - by Cyrus - 12-20-2005, 04:56 AM
i know i'm supposed to search but... - by Cidien - 12-20-2005, 04:28 PM
i know i'm supposed to search but... - by Elcoholic - 12-21-2005, 02:03 AM
i know i'm supposed to search but... - by Cidien - 12-22-2005, 10:01 AM