Import Anime Forums

Full Version: i know i'm supposed to search but...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
the terms produce so many references it's difficult to find what i'm looking for...

sooooo... would someone be so kind as to explain to me some of the terms used here...

specifically:
r1 (region one?)
hk
fx (assume this is a provider company?)
etc.

thanks.
(interested in trading possibly but need to know what i have)
tommydynamite Wrote:the terms produce so many references it's difficult to find what i'm looking for...

sooooo... would someone be so kind as to explain to me some of the terms used here...

specifically:
r1 (region one?)
hk
etc.

thanks.
(interested in trading possibly but need to know what i have)

Ok ill explain those two; a Region 1 disc is basically a domestic licensed copy released by companies like Geneon, ADV Films, Funimation etc. A HK is stuff like FX, EZDVD, MAC, AV, and I think it's just another name for MAC but AS. To be exact the english dubbed ones are called perfect collections unless my info's wrong. So to be real simple

R1= Legit
HK= Bootleg
HK is short for Hong kong. Anything from that place is bootleg.

FX is a HKDVD company.

Welcome to the forums.
tommydynamite Wrote:sooooo... would someone be so kind as to explain to me some of the terms used here...
specifically:
r1 (region one?)
hk
etc.

R1 = Region 1 which means an official release targetted for North America
HK = Region free bootlegged disc
FX = Now defunct company that produced HK discs
etc. = etcetera which means additional unspecified odds and ends; more of the same

I hope this helps.
yeah in addition to r1 there are r2 r3 r4 which are different regions in the world.

The reason people are so crazy to get r1 anime is because ussually r1 has the best quality because these huge rich companies that buy anime are really picky (ussually) about their quality being the best out there.

So in many ways getting region 1 is best because it will have extras it will have like dolby 5.1 for most of the newer anime and so forth while HK are ussually stripped of these for space reasons. Then again r1 anime can be heavily censored while HK anime that is in japanese and not copied from r1 anime versions are uncensored and completely original.

Basically it comes down to a cost issue and a production company issue.

HK costing 24 eps ussually about a dollar or a lil more for a series and r1 costing anything from 50 for a 24 episode series to 200 dollars.

If you get a good HK company you should be totally happy cept most the extras will be gone most of the time and maybe some subtitles but never the english subs (at least i have always had english subs)
elcoholic Wrote:HK is short for Hong kong. Anything from that place is bootleg.

Nope R3 are offical discs that can be bought from Hong Kong and even R0's can be official. HK's aren't made in Hong Kong anyway.
You're right. I stand corrected.
R1's aren't any better than r2s or r3s, it all comes down to the disc quality. I have a few r4 discs and they're perfect. I also have some r1 fox dvds that play worse than any hks i have...
Cidien Wrote:R1's aren't any better than r2s or r3s, it all comes down to the disc quality. I have a few r4 discs and they're perfect. I also have some r1 fox dvds that play worse than any hks i have...

I was wondering about that... All the Fox shows I have on R2 are great. Weird how the R1's would be worse... Guess they use bad factories or something. Another issue with R2's though (UK) is the NTSC to PAL transfer... Can make scenes look choppy or aliased aparently (I buy mainly R1 so can't really compare). Affects anime more than live action.
thanks for the welcome...

i always assumed that r1, r2, etc were just region codes... and shouldn't affect the quality of the product?

i have many 'import' animes... i had always thought these were generally fully licensed by (for example) a hong kong company to reproduce in a compact version?
Publishers like some mentioned here... (assuming they're legit).

i have no doubt that i have some pirate versions probably... don't know how to tell...

gotta check out my collection and look for some of the "publishers" names...
(should be easy to find on the labeling?)

oh... and thanks for providing a definition for "ETC"... very much appreciated... using it in my everyday conversations now...
like my friend asked me how i was doing the other day... so i answered:
"caught my wife with the gardener... grabbed my shotgun... etc."
Hah, we're confusing you now. You're right about the region codes. It shouldn't affect quality but sometimes there seems to be a difference in R1 and R2 releases.

Quote:i have many 'import' animes... i had always thought these were generally fully licensed by (for example) a hong kong company to reproduce in a compact version?
Publishers like some mentioned here... (assuming they're legit).

You're right except for the licensed part. They just buy the R1 set from america and rip them, put them on less discs and sell them for less. They don't pay licensing fees at all. Mind you they don't burn these discs but they are produced at proffesional pressing plants so durability should be better than a burnt disc.

Now, you can tell if you have a HKDVD pretty easily. Main thing is does it have chinese sub option. If so its a HK. Then, when an R1 show is 6 or 8 discs but you get the same show on less discs (and cheaperWink ) its a HK. They are mostly 3 or 4 discs in a gatefold but there are single discs that look just like the R1. If you have alot of english dubbed sets check for the logo. If its the letters Fx in red and a green circle behind it its a HK and the letters MAC in purple are also from a well known HK company. Check the store section to see the logo's.
elcoholic Wrote:Check the store section to see the logo's.

Yep and also the review section. Most have the SKU on the page which you can compare to the SKU on your sets (the little number on the box) and also disc no. and covers. The way you worded it 'compact versions' sounds pretty HK though...
Thanks!! On to cataloguing... *sigh*

a few more questions:

1. they company with the "M" logo... not "Mac"... what is it?
I have a number of sets that aren't on the review list... i think they're this "M" company because of the packaging... (they have that yellow writing on the back that always says - "english and japanese * NTSC * rated 13 up * color * hi fi stereo" etc etc.
I'll add these to the list once i've identified them... or should i bother since i believe they're basically the same as the perfect collections offered by "M" but with new (english) packaging and covers.
If ya'll do want me to update the lists... how do i get a pic inserted of the cover?... or is that just for the moderators? (dig a photo for ya?)

2. have a few items with an "S" symbol... and in each loop of the S there is an "e" in a circle... (basically "see"). Didn't see this anywhere... any ideas?
3. I'm able to "add" sets to my ID by identifying them from the reviews list... can i add sets manually?
i.e. like my r1 sets (pioneer/genoen, etc).
tommydynamite Wrote:3. I'm able to "add" sets to my ID by identifying them from the reviews list... can i add sets manually?
i.e. like my r1 sets (pioneer/genoen, etc).

Nope just HK's here. The M is 'MI' aka Manga International.
Pages: 1 2