Poll: What do you think of the dub voices overall for Naruto?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Awesome
4.88%
2 4.88%
Great
9.76%
4 9.76%
ok
14.63%
6 14.63%
Pretty bad
36.59%
15 36.59%
The most terrible thing you have ever heard in your life
34.15%
14 34.15%
Total 41 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What do you think of the dub of Naruto?
Personally, I found Dattebayo's to be lacking, though honestly Inane's recent manga scanlations have certainately been subpar. I'm grateful they *exist*, but I'm saying that both formats can be suboptimal - dubbing/editing isn't the only way to change meaning, nor is messing with the language in subtitles. It's difficult to compare the two because they require different timing formats - the dubbing is much more difficult to get right because you have to pace mouths to character voices as well as retain the meaning, but the subtitling has a little more time to be read (and so tends to be able to get more information in). Effort-wise, I think the dub took a whole lot more time, money, resources, and willingness to execute than the fansubs. Granted, in either case it's difficult to translate beacuse some words do not have direct translation (or, at least, easy direct translation), like the accent 'dattebayo' itself, even; I've heard a plethora of opinions as to whether it's more of an accent, a phrase, an exclamation, or an idea.

The problem with their showing of naruto is that the U.S. has harsher censor standards than japan, especially when it comes to sexuality. (U.S. is bass-ackwards when it comes to that kind of thing). It's not particularly fair to peg the problems with one thing or another on the dubbing studio, the recording studio, the producer, or in fact the VA's themselves, because while they may have actually done the deed, it's likely to be necessary to get the anime published at all on normal TV.

Messages In This Thread
What do you think of the dub of Naruto? - by hakken - 10-06-2005, 12:22 PM