Come Join The Dragon Ball Bashing Party
Quote:Originally posted by Batz Kage
Does that not read That you don't like it because others do

Let me get this straight again. I neither like nor dislike Dragon Ball.

Quote:Originally posted by Batz Kage
If they feel that it deserves some credit, then to them it does, & if a massive amount of people feel the same way then it becomes popular. You're saying that because you feel a different way, all those people's opinions are wrong, & therefore you must raise up & inform them of this.

Now you're talking about fad and backlash. This is rather difficult subject to explain, but I'll try anyway. Fad ia by definition, a fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time. This means that during the time that a fad is in fashion, one will not be able to escape from its influence due to its large presence in immidiate surrounding environment. Therefore, one is forced to deal with its effect by default. Many gets attracted by the effects of the fad, others gets repelled by it, and it leaves only small neutral ground. This means that most people will end up forming strong opinion regarding the fad, may it be positive or negative.

A good example is 70's disco fad, and its huge backlash in 80's. For anime fans, Pokemon is a good example. To a lesser extent, Drangon Ball is currently a fad for anime fans in America. That means that if one is an anime fan in North America, they wouldn't be able to escape hearing about dragon ball. If you have friends who love anime, inevitably, the subject of dragon ball will be mentioned sooner or later by one of them. Hence, every anime fan is 'forced' to listen to the subject of dragon ball. This leads to the formations of very strong opinions regarding dragon ball. If one is forced to deal with the subject repeatedly, naturally, one is compelled to express the negative opinions regarding the subject. That is the backlash. It is a natural reflexive action against something that is forced on.

To me, Dragon Ball is just another anime. Just as a few said already, I don't mind watching to kill some spare time, if it's on TV. Only reason why I even pay any extra attention to is because it is talked about so much in anime world. Finally, all my babble above leads to this conclusion. Since many are irritated by the unwanted, coerced influence of current dragonball fad, they have the right to express negative opinions regarding the subject. (Come on, admit it!! Is there anyone here who never thought 'what's with this pokemon crap' a few years ago?)

Quote:Originally posted by Dark Osamu
I'm surprised THIS hasn't been locked.

Hehe...... Originally, this thread was meant to be comical, but it turned kind of semi-serious, as usual. Even then, if someone gets personally offended just because their favorite anime is criticized, then they got their priorities screwed up in wrong place. All things said and done, who cares if dragon ball is good or not! Now, let's go watch some truely good anime 'Cowboy Bebop'

Messages In This Thread
Come Join The Dragon Ball Bashing Party - by Vile - 04-25-2004, 08:21 PM
Come Join The Dragon Ball Bashing Party - by hbk101 - 04-26-2004, 04:25 PM