MAC, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop...
The Sex Pistols are a classic example of attitude over talent. The raw power and drive make it really easy to overlook any technical faults. Jonny Rotten went on to grow more with PIL and I think Jah Wobble grew out of the Sex Pistols as well. It's great seeing how these guys grew.

The Clash is one of my all time favourites. Balancing punk sensibilities with experimental productions took the band to places where no one else has been. Check out Joe Strummer's current stuff with the Mescaleros. Cool N Out is one of the most driving summer tunes I've heard in a long time.

Batz, I hate to say this but Pennywise and NoFx are both borderline mainstream. I think they've both broken into the top 40 at one point or another. That doesn't mean that they've sold out. It means that they made it.

I look back at all the great artists over the years like the Art of Noise, Thomas Dolby, Cream, Queen, The Beatles, PJ Harvey, Portishead, Carlinhos Brown, microbunny, Yokko Kanno, The Squirrel Nut Zippers, Benny Goodman, The Ramones, The Violent Femmes, and The Reverand Horton Heat, and realize that good music comes from all genres... it's just a matter of recognizing it when it comes along and giving it credit when you notice it.

Let's just be glad that most of the great musicians can't help themselves. Most of them like being able to make a living doing something that they enjoy doing and they bigger they get, the more people they can share that with.

My biggest complaint with the internet is that it makes it so easy for up and coming bands to get their stuff circulated that I can't keep up with all the new acts coming down the pipe.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.

Messages In This Thread
MAC, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop... - by Zagatto - 09-03-2002, 05:05 PM