why do some ppl like their anime dubbed?
the almighty sub points:

1) it takes me less than half the time to read the subs and its quite possible to do two things at once, therefore anyone who watches with sub should be able to enjoy the animation as well as understand the dialogue, maybe not at first but it should be easy after a while.

2) the point of subs on the screen making it less like the original japanese version is just plain stupid. its just a bit of text, not like theyve replaced the entire cast with a bunch of canadians that couldnt make it as actors so they voice cartoons, oops isnt that what eng dubs are?

3) i know for a fact that around 2/3s of eng dubs are horribley acted, and usually badly cased. to me almost all jap dubs are infinately better acted and reflect character much more accurately, maybe this isnt the case but hey ignorance is bliss.

4) the easier route is no doubt the lazier route, i would know.

the japanese dub point is intirely valid. it would just be plain stupid to watch something in a lanuage you didnt understand without subtitles. its just as stupid to say that it effects the original form of the anime because of words on the screen. i dont care what way the japanese watch their anime, i want to watch it in its original, intended form. i wouldnt be too happy if some motherfucker changed altered something that i had created.

acting is so much better in japanese dubs because they are recorded in a "radio drama"-esk manner. this is fact. because english dubs have to fit the lip-sync of the original animation, they are forced to slowly change lines and words and eventually a good portion of the script. this is where alot of it goes wrong. imagine a japanese guy with a strong american accent shitting on an original picasso. this is called the eng dub. and im sure that the original japanese creator of the anime doesnt have much of a say in voice dubbing, but hey its not like theres only 3 male leads in japan that anime dubbers used over and over. its like tom cruise being in every one in three movies youll ever see, but whats so bad with that? whats so bad is that he stops becoming characters and is forever remembered as ethan hunt or shinji in animes case.

adding one more artist you say? adding one more american artist to a japanese show, if i want to watch american cartoons i can watch cartoon network, if i want to watch an american raping something japanese then im sure i could find it on the net.

and i totally agree that its all a matter of opinion what you watch and which version you enjoy. infact i couldnt really give a shit who watches eng or jap dubs cause i can do whatever i want and im sure ill sleep well tonight knowing that i did it my way. i only bothered with all this because i think that all the dubs points have been shit (basically people are too lazy to read) and i like to argue.

that, my friends, is waffling shit, but good shit at that

(hope you deleted that post from your hard-drive because all of a sudden it isnt quite as convincing)
see you space cowboy...

Messages In This Thread
why do some ppl like their anime dubbed? - by sanosuke - 10-01-2003, 03:03 PM