why do some ppl like their anime dubbed?
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
They can't do that for an American dub. In the Japanese version, they animate the mouth for the duration of the script, for the American Dub, they couldn't just act, because they have to experiment with length, duration and speed of speech and words. Many times editing the script on the fly to get it down.

Personally, I have a lot of respect for the English VAs, they work with a lot more adversity than Japanese VAs, considering the Japanese VAs just have to act, the English VAs have to transform a meaning into dialogue and get it to fit in less/more syllables than they would desire.

Whilst I don't disagree with you at all for having respect for the English-speaking VAs, I'm sure it's more than just a simple case of having to act for the Japanese. They too have to turn words into speech and dialogue filled with substance and depth.

The scriptwriters/translators will prepare a script for an English dub. It is then up to the English-speaking VAs their skills as actors to transform their English lines into believable dialogue.

There is very little difference - it boils down to your ability to voice act. This is evident in some of the A-list actors they get for Ghibli English dubs - they're great on-screen in their movies, but some of them aren't that impressive when you can just hear their voice.

I'm sure after several tries I could speak at least one line in time with an on-screen character, but I would be absolutely shit because I cannot offer any other emotion in my voice other than it's usuall dull, monotonous tone let alone be 'someone else'.

There are good English-speaking and Japanese VAs just as there are bad English and Japanese VAs.

Messages In This Thread
why do some ppl like their anime dubbed? - by Prophet Hero - 09-29-2003, 08:12 AM