why do some ppl like their anime dubbed?
Although I choose not to watch dubs, it's good to have the choice.

Admittedly, there are many English dubs that appear clumsy and totally unsuitable, but there are just as many shoddy subtitle jobs, which can upset your enjoyment before you even think of considering the quality of translation. I've praised the company before, but Animeigo, in my opinion, makes the effort to ensure both dub and sub fans are happy.

I think a far more pressing concern is localisation, particularly in terms of the English dub. How far should a company go to ensure it makes a show accessible for an American (I'm specifying the US because all the companies are American) audience. I'm thinking of Tokyopop's handling of Initial D. I'll admit I haven't seen it, but the review I read seems to suggest that some crimes were committed.

I don't have the problem of 'reading' subtitles - I can absorb whole lines at once as I'm sure any avid reader can. Neither do I do other things whilst watching. Others might not have the luxury, but I set aside some time for watching and make sure that is all I do.

Messages In This Thread
why do some ppl like their anime dubbed? - by Prophet Hero - 09-27-2003, 09:23 AM