why do some ppl like their anime dubbed?
I don't understand japanese so i prefer to watch it in a language i understand. I watched it that was a child and suffice to say not alot was lost in Doraemon. Big Grin

While i do appreciate that often the Japanese VA's can convey emotion better the USA VA's often suffice for me. It doesn't bother me too much. There are some rare instances when i couldn't stand the english dub like SMoon's American Voice but then i couldn't stand Smoon anyway. :p

I guess what i am saying is that given i don't understand japanese (& providing the english or other language dub is not totally dire) i prefer to be able to concentrate on the anime rather than reading it.

While the Jap VA's can express emotion it's not as if the subtitles along can express it as well. At times the subtitles on screen are not a direct translation of what the characters are saying due to the order in which sentences are constructed etc.

In the past especially subtitle tracks sometimes westernise what is going on so subtitles differ in quality too. And lets not even go the way of dubtitles (though they have come in handy when someone was sleeping and i had to keep the tv turned low).

I guess bilingual is the best option as we get to choose our preference or even experience both.

Messages In This Thread
why do some ppl like their anime dubbed? - by CrayonShinChan - 09-26-2003, 11:55 PM