Which Hentai do I buy people for X-Mas?
Quote:I ask again, whats the difference between R1 and HK DVDs? Also, six_plus_one, whats that on your avatar?
Allow me to clarify:
R1 means "Region #1" (US & CAN), meaning that R1 DVDs are the official, studio-released DVDs for the US/Canada (the 'real' ones). Since R1 DVDs are only intended for US/Canadian audiences (other countries have their own versions of the release with different languages, etc.) DVDs are often encoded with 'regional restrictions' that disable playing them on DVD players from other countries. This sucks. You can sometimes update the firmware on certain DVD players to bypass this feature or you can find yourself a nice 'all region' DVD, (or one with no regional coding). This brings me to HK...

HK is short for "Hong Kong". You know all of these DVD collections of entire anime series on two or three discs for really, really cheap? They're actually all 'rips' made from original R1 or R2 (UK, Europe) DVDs (or Laserdiscs or VHS or TV in some cases) from companies in Hong Kong, hence the 'HK'. These 'rips' are essentially 'copies', if you will, but have been expertly made and come with pretty packaging and the like. The good folks at AC, MAC, AV, FX, MI, etc. etc. (different HK anime studios) put out these (generally entire)-series collections in one little bundle. Sometimes it's to distribute a version of the subtitles where fans or third-party translators have gone and redone them to replace poorly worded official subs. Sometimes it's to release a classic series that is otherwise no longer available for purchase or is not available in a certain region, (as HK DVDs are most always 'all region' coded). In all cases it saves a heck of a lot of money and time. Quality is sometimes an issue, but most series have at least one high quality set, made with loving, expert care, that rivals the R1/R2 discs. Some might be quick to call them fakes or pirates but these sets are usually done very, very well and, in many instances, have more beautiful packaging than their R1/R2/R4/etc. counterparts, so you never get a cheap or 'counterfeited' feel. HK DVDs are also refered to as 'Import DVDs' or just by the company name or collection title. This here website deals exclusively in HK DVDs and it's definitely the way to go if you love anime but don't necessarily have a fortune to spend. Smile

*Whew* I think that's all correct. Hope that helps a bit. Smile

Oh, and as for my avatar, it loosely reads "Now accepting applications for Japanese girlfriends." Hehe Smile
Hehe Smile

Messages In This Thread
Which Hentai do I buy people for X-Mas? - by six_plus_one - 09-15-2003, 06:41 PM