Ramen Anyone? ^_^
What I don't understand is why the government doesn't simply outlaw or regulate it better? Is there really that much money being made with it that they stay out of it?
Health isn't the government's problem. That's like blaming McDonald's for making people fat. If you don't want MSG, avoid it.
[Image: 4c1.jpg]
^^Made by Blight

"If teachers were paid more, we'd be able to afford better drugs." -Eikichi Onizuka
I am just wondering, why is MSG bad for you?
[Image: top_1.jpg]
~Romance in the Scent of Summer~
MSG is basically a drug that makes crap taste better. It overstimulates receptors all over in your body if you have too much and can cause some serious health problems.

And it's nearly impossible to avoid msg. Even if you go to a restaurant that claims not to use msg you may still be getting it because the manufacturer that made the ingredients the restaurant is using could have used it.
Plus, it in the short-run, it also tends to de-hydrate your body. Best thing to do after eating something with MSG is to drink lots of fluids, preferably something free of caffeine and alcohol (both also notorious for de-hydrating the body) such as water, juice, or milk.

Haha, check it out, I have exactly 666 posts at the time of posting this. Go figure! Big Grin
Macross. An experience often imitated, but NEVER duplicated. Shame on those who think otherwise.

Visit MacrossWorld for all your Macross needs!
Robojack Wrote:Plus, it in the short-run, it also tends to de-hydrate your body. Best thing to do after eating something with MSG is to drink lots of fluids, preferably something free of caffeine and alcohol (both also notorious for de-hydrating the body) such as water, juice, or milk.

Haha, check it out, I have exactly 666 posts at the time of posting this. Go figure! Big Grin
That might explain why when I eat out at chinese places I drink 4-5 glasses of coke, which doesn't really help, but eh. Normally at other places I drink 2-4 glases.
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html
onizuka17711 Wrote:Health isn't the government's problem. That's like blaming McDonald's for making people fat. If you don't want MSG, avoid it.

It is actually the governments problem. If it wasn't we all might still be eating craptastic beef with rat poison sometimes processed with the dead rats even... they didn't stop making it that way on their own.

Of course that example is more severe than msg, but I think it falls in the same category.
Cidien Wrote:It is actually the governments problem. If it wasn't we all might still be eating craptastic beef with rat poison sometimes processed with the dead rats even... they didn't stop making it that way on their own.

Of course that example is more severe than msg, but I think it falls in the same category.
In reality, this example is not exaggerated. Food and Drug Administration allows a certain percentage of rat meat in hot dog because it's almost impossible to get rid of them all in processing plant. I forgot the exact number of permitted percentage but it's there.
Kiruyuki Wrote:I am just wondering, why is MSG bad for you?
MSG (monosodium glutamate) is an unnatural amino acids. It probably interferes with the body's natural production of enzyme and protein production. There is no definite studies that proves that MSG is linked to health problems. Some studies suggested that MSG might cause probelm in human nervous system and eventually increase the risk of getting Alzeimer's desease and such. Basically, it could damage your nerve cells. Nothing is proven 100%. Nevertheless, it's good idea to reduce the consumotion of MSG.

Nowadays, there are ramen noodles that advertise they don't use MSG in their products. One brand I heard of is Green Ramen. Maybe you want to look into that if you like it so much.
Yeh thats like the 'Sudan 1' dye that they put in lots of food here like chili powder and the ever popular 'Pot noodles'. But the food was recalled, and removed permanently - so yeh it is pretty much the governments problem.
We'll be so amazed if we found out how much toxic garbage the food companies are putting in our food. I wonder if anybody knows that some companies make cattle food with deseased dead cows.
Cidien Wrote:It is actually the governments problem. If it wasn't we all might still be eating craptastic beef with rat poison sometimes processed with the dead rats even... they didn't stop making it that way on their own.

The government is not responsible for stupid people. If you want MSG, eat it. If not, avoid it and don't bitch about it.
[Image: 4c1.jpg]
^^Made by Blight

"If teachers were paid more, we'd be able to afford better drugs." -Eikichi Onizuka
The government might not be responsible for stupid people, but they are responsible for filthy corporations that are willing to make money at any cost. Have you heard of acrylamide? It's a highly toxic, cancer-causing substance that is a byproduct of potato chip processing and commonly found in a bag of potato Chips. For years, the companies have been withholding this infomation until recent state law changes that forces companies to reveal this information.
onizuka17711 Wrote:The government is not responsible for stupid people. If you want MSG, eat it. If not, avoid it and don't bitch about it.

Seriously dude, i've already addressed this comment. It is 100% impossible to avoid msg unless you make ALL your own food and read very carefully everything you buy.

I doubt anyone actually wants msg. All it does is make crappy food taste better by tricking your brain.
hbk101 Wrote:The government might not be responsible for stupid people, but they are responsible for filthy corporations that are willing to make money at any cost. Have you heard of acrylamide? It's a highly toxic, cancer-causing substance that is a byproduct of potato chip processing and commonly found in a bag of potato Chips. For years, the companies have been withholding this infomation until recent state law changes that forces companies to reveal this information.
I work at a chip factory >.> <.< I always thought I was helping the world by satisfying a fat kid's wish for potato chips, who would have known there's a chance I might be helping to kill the poor bastard..

Edit: That's a crappy pun-ish thing there.
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html