Poll: Which is the most nerdy hobby???
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Video Games
3.13%
1 3.13%
Anime/Manga
6.25%
2 6.25%
Collectible Card Games i.e. Magic, Yu-Gi-Oh
15.63%
5 15.63%
Book RPG's i.e. D&D, Rifts, etc...
34.38%
11 34.38%
Cosplay
25.00%
8 25.00%
Message Boarding for any of the above
15.63%
5 15.63%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

most nerdy hobby
Quote:Originally posted by Batz Kage
No, it's being like me!
I R Nerd, hear me roar!
*doesn't roar*

I DUB YOU 'RIOT NRRRD"!!!!

(anyone remember the riot grrrl movement???)
Quote:Originally posted by rarnom
I am sorry if I offended you, it wasn't my intention. This thread is all about having a sense of humor about the hobbies we partake in and the type of people that typically are into them. By saying something is nerdy doesn't mean it is 'stupid' by any means. This all comes from a conversation my friends and I were having and how we noticed that typical video game fans are much less nerdy than anime fans, and there was like a food chain of nerdiness from minor nerdiness to extreme nerdiness.

Rarnom you didn't offend me, not one bit. If I gave you that impression then it was by mistake. You know, I totally look like a dumb blond, high heels, tight clothes, hyper-short mini skirts, etc, and I know that the first thing people think when they see me is that I have nothing in my head but air. However, that's not at all how I am and I don't get offended just because people think that of me. I was a bit pissed about this whole subject because I think people shouldn't be labeled like that. Where I live there's no such thing as jocks and cheerleaders and the popular people at school and the unpopular. People are people and they stand out more or less based on their personality even if they're the ugliest people on earth. So because I'm not used to that kind of social stratification I see it as an injustice and I can't stand injustice.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Define Nerd!

Nerd is a Loser?

and im indeed am but at least i have

PASSION!

something to live for! how many can say that?

Anime,Gaming, BMX and Drumming (& Jessie) is what im on this rock of blue,green and white for!

so forget it if someone calls you a nerd, screw them - who gives a flying f*ck
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
nerd
1. A creature in a Dr. Seuss children's book, If I Ran the Zoo. 2. A socially inept or unattractive person. 3. A person who is more interested in pursuing intellectual interests than in keeping up with trends in fashion. Since the Internet revolution, "nerd" has become a less pejorative term, and "computer nerd" is even used with admiration.

The term "nerd" started with Dr. Suess.
I prefer the term Otaku which is similar to the way we use nerd here in North America but seems more clearly defined.

The biggest nerds I've ever encountered are of the Star Trek variety. In this I use definition 3 from the above definition even though I've met one or two anime nerds that can rival the legions of Star Trek nerds.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
oh for christs sake, we watch cartoons! wow, what a big deal, get over it.
I would consider CCGs and D&D stuff to be nerdy. At least with anime it is just cartoons and video games are normal to play I mean who doesn't play games electionic or not. I also think cosplaying is a bit nerdy I mean come on it is kinda stupid to dress up like a fictional character, I guess you can put it right up there with people who try to look like celebs.
Cosplay all the way. Not that it's bad but you are displaying your nerdom to a mass of many. And that is pretty nerdly.
- The Original Lord Of Darkness -
"Ahh The Murthless Laugh of the Damned"
Quote:Originally posted by tsunami
I would consider CCGs and D&D stuff to be nerdy. At least with anime it is just cartoons and video games are normal to play I mean who doesn't play games electionic or not. I also think cosplaying is a bit nerdy I mean come on it is kinda stupid to dress up like a fictional character, I guess you can put it right up there with people who try to look like celebs.

You know this is my opinion as well. I am into anime, video games, Rifts and other Paladium book rpgs (Robotech, Heroes Unlimited, TMNT, and many more...), and I am going to cosplay at a con this Labor Day. At the last con my badge name was "king of nerds". But I think that the 'nerdiness' comes even more from the mentality and way they act, not in the way they look. That also goes along with Zagatto's comment about Star Trek fans. Those people always seem so bizzare. There was a guy at my college who was the head of a Star Trek club. He was always holding open meetings in his dorm room and I would go check it out because it was guaranteed to be SUPER bizzare.

The 'nerd food chain' conversation started after we were at our local gaming hang-out buying some rpg books and we were like 'those CCG dudes are like the kings of nerds'. That is really a hobby that has a pretty focused group of fans. I know that in magazines they have Magic the Gathering ads and they show all these 'cool' looking people playing and holding up their cards, but NONE of those people are playing Magic or Yu-Gi-Oh at the gaming places around here. What I find most amazing is their level of commitment and intensity. They get SO PISSED during the games. I find that the best kind of entertainment...

Like I said before, either way, it takes some serious balls to be so nerdy.
Cosplaying is the stuff of the gods. When there are people who know what they are doing. Not when it is a guy in a salior moon outfit, or an overly large girl thinking, she is a member of the Salior Scouts. then it is how Kakomu put it "ew"
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
nerd
3. A person who is more interested in pursuing intellectual interests than in keeping up with trends in fashion. Since the Internet revolution, "nerd" has become a less pejorative term, and "computer nerd" is even used with admiration.

Then what do you call a person that is as interested in pursuing intellectual interests as keeping up with fashion trends?
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
I think most of my friends (and myself) are pretty geeky and nerdy in our own way. Some of my friends think I'm a big geek for liking anime so much and using my money on dvds and asian candy instead of other things. Plus I don't go out of my way to make friends or party with everyone. I get good grades, like to read, and most of the time am seen by myself. I only have a handful of people I would call my friends and I like it that way. I've always thought being a nerd was kinda cool :p I've met a lot of people who are into "geeky" things and some of them are good looking and fun to hang out with. I wanted glasses for a long time but I have perfect vision - I guess I'm a wanna be nerd then Sad So Andromeda, I think what you're getting at is that being a nerd isn't a bad thing - There are people who are nerdy, smart and likeable as well.
Did you know this is The 20th Anniverory of Revenge of The Nerds. Click Here
I found it amasing we are discussing this at the very moment of this great B-Day.

Quote:Originally posted by Andromeda18_
Where I live there's no such thing as jocks and cheerleaders and the popular people at school and the unpopular. People are people and they stand out more or less based on their personality even if they're the ugliest people on earth. So because I'm not used to that kind of social stratification I see it as an injustice and I can't stand injustice

I wish it was that way at most schools but is unfortunely not so. People get segergated into groups with out even knowing it. It sometimes hurts far more than it should. People just want to be included, to feel that they matter to someone other than them selves. I can't wait to get back the states and find that nich in North Dakota that loves anime, Magic Cards, and other "geekie stuff". My brother "who is way cooler than I am" once desribed me to a group of his friends when I was coming to visit. He said, "He is a dweebe, but he is that loveable dweebie that you like to have around. Not to make fun of but because he helps in ways that Pot and beer just can't." I love my brother and although that isn't the best complment I have ever recived it meant alot because it was truthful and well meant.
[Image: slay6.jpg]
I am known as the Red leader of the Ichi Hentai!
if you notice in england, (or london rather) most schools don't have any of that nerdy/geek stuff - its split into a hierarchy of those who can beat everyone up, those who can protect themselves, and those who can't fight to save their life... lol - i think i prefer the geek/nerd business actually, lol.
i play video games, watch anime, play dnd, take computer classes. i am what you would consider a nerd. But i go to bars, have a girlfriend, go to concerts, travel, watch movies, listen to music, now am i normal?
Things people do to entertain themselves. Now if all you do is just play dnd or dress up as an anime character your getting to be pretty nerdy with no life out side of it.
Quote:Originally posted by animeshop
if you notice in england, (or london rather) most schools don't have any of that nerdy/geek stuff - its split into a hierarchy of those who can beat everyone up, those who can protect themselves, and those who can't fight to save their life... lol - i think i prefer the geek/nerd business actually, lol.

Soooooo true - guess thats why ive never really been called a Nerd

coz im coolCool with a Passion

yeah right im a LoserRolleyes no denyingRolleyes
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/