Help
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
I can't see how you can say WMP 6.4 is a POS. It's the best player I've ever used in terms of flexability, ease of use and hardware consumption.
Ok i will revert.. Wmp 7+ is a POS.. Wmp 6.4 is by far the best one from microsoft (or else why would they still keep in on new systems) But Kak i am telling you.. If you love Wmp 6.4 you will Love Media Player classic.. Its desinged to be a clone of Wmp 6.4 look and feel.. And its also a lightweight media player with more flexibility then Wmp. You can control how filters load by perfer or blocking them.. helps alot with the behavior of DirectShow sometimes.. and like i also mentioned all the built in DirectShow filters it has.. and again its only 1 meg in size no bloat.

Anyone who has to use their media player for more than playing media and checking their media is really doing way too much. As for the buzzing, it's when I play another audio file in conjunction with the movie (regardless of the player). I was getting my codecs at http://www.vorbis.org.
Well the problem is Xiph really only concentrates on Linux development first.. and then will kinda do Windows development second.. the OggDS filter's were written by Tobias.. and after long time Xiph finally accepted them.. They also hated teh name ogm for the file extensions.. because windows does have meta tag to determine if it has audio or video in it.. Windows use file extensions.. and generally Linux people run everything from command line type stuff so they could launch the player they wanted for teh proper Ogg file. but either way OggDS is somewhat buggy.. CoreVobis or MPC internal Filter is alot better..

Lastly, in the end, I'm trying to stray as far away from DivX and other computer Video formats, considering that I don't like watching movies from my monitor anymore and I'm not too happy with the TV-out software that ATI has. I've mostly been trying to replace everything I have on CD with DVDs.
Well i still encode to Xvid and such because its easier to backup and you can put more onto a DVD.. Plus i use my modded Xbox to play all my Media Files on the TV.. So i don't have to deal with TV output or anything.. And now that Standalone MPEG 4 players are starting to get popular.. (mainly in Europe thouhg) i will want to look into one of those..
It also makes me feel kinda sad that all the knowledge of video and video codecs will become instantly obsolete with a new revision. Considering I don't feel like reading the thesis length arguments that go back and forth at the Doom9 forums I really seem to fall back on how to get the "perfect video" and really just don't care that much anymore in the end.

Yea but the Principles of it will always stay the same.. but Procedures might change.. But in the end also i have a standard setting with Xvid that works most the time that i use.. it may not produce the bests.. but average with things it does great.. So i just still with that..
Quote:Originally posted by Schultz
Well for one i wouldn't use WMP its a piece of shit..

I'd have to say I'm with Kakomu here. In my opinion, every revision since WMP 6.4 has been worse. It's all opinion of the individual though, I still use 6.4 to this day, but still have friends of mine using 7.1 and 9. There are also alternatives to M$ WMP, such as VLC Media Player, which can be obtained here: http://www.videolan.org/ It's really low on hogging resources and plays just about anything. For all I know you could've been talking about just the new WMP versions lol.. I don't know..

Lastly, in the end, I'm trying to stray as far away from DivX and other computer Video formats, considering that I don't like watching movies from my monitor anymore and I'm not too happy with the TV-out software that ATI has. I've mostly been trying to replace everything I have on CD with DVDs.

I'm doing the same thing right now. I've been going through my folder and watching all of my old previously burned anime on my tv through an ATI card. This will help me find out what's worth upgrading to DVD. Setting up the video out isn't really that hard.. All you have to do is >>

Right-click on desktop >>
Select Properties >>
Settings Tab >>
Select Display device 1 >>
Advanced Button >>
Displays Tab >>
Set monitor to the 2 box looking button >>
Set TV to the circle button >>
Accept Changes.

This should set your TV as the main source for video etc, and will clone over so that the image on your monitor and TV are the same. Be sure to have your resolution 1024x768 or lower... otherwise it will be too big for your TV to display the whole picture at once. I have an S-Video cable coming out of my videocard and into the TV via composite (yellow-RCA) with a converter because my TV does not have a s-video input >_<.

EDIT: Schultz I see your reply now, sorry my post went through after the reply lol..
Also for those that like it.. Media Player classic Allows you to play broken AVI files.. or partially incomplete AVI files.. I also think VideoLAN has this feature also.. but just another reason to use it over Wmp 6.4 .
Quote:Originally posted by w0lf
Be sure to have your resolution 1024x768 or lower... otherwise it will be too big for your TV to display the whole picture at once.

I just realized that when I did TV-Out, the display property said that it was running at 1024x768, but was actually running at 1152x864 (my Monitor Res). Thanks for clearing that up.

In defense of WMP 8+ (I still hate 7 with a passion), it's able to play WMV/ASF files without the damn buffering wait period that WMP 6.4 has. THe only other use I have for it is when I'm doing major overhauls of my winamp play list (just recently, I organized nearly 1100 stray mp3s on my HD into my master list, boosting the count from somewhere around 3090 to a current 4175). WHen I'm messing with winamp, I need music to listen to, and the WMP 8+ playlist is able to play a continuous stream of music that 6.4 can't.

Lastly, on the subject of video players, is MPC a DVD player as well? Also, is there a way to disable macrovision through a software means (I'm a little leery of doing a firmware upgrade, considering the problems that arose with firmware upgrades with my CD-Burner and Video card) or a DVD player (that doesn't suck) that will disable macrovision and remain as good, or at least nearly as good as PowerDVD?
In defense of WMP 8+ (I still hate 7 with a passion), it's able to play WMV/ASF files without the damn buffering wait period that WMP 6.4 has.
I know i sound like a broken Record.. Media Player Classic can use the new ASF reader from 7+ so you don't have the buffering issues

Lastly, on the subject of video players, is MPC a DVD player as well? Also, is there a way to disable macrovision through a software means (I'm a little leery of doing a firmware upgrade, considering the problems that arose with firmware upgrades with my CD-Burner and Video card) or a DVD player (that doesn't suck) that will disable macrovision and remain as good, or at least nearly as good as PowerDVD?

Yes Media Player Classic can play DVD's.. it has its own Internal AC3 and Mpeg2 decoder or you can use PowerDVD's or WinDVD's if you want.. But i think the Macrovision stuff is done in the DVD Navigator Filter and the Video Drivers. But i don't know too many details because i don't work with Video out much.. I do know that Nvidia had sensitive drivers and sometimes they where miss tripped.. Though i will see if i can find out anything..
I use ATI, but I would appreciate if you find anything. In the meantime, i found a means to output the video to TV without going through my VCR, but it is a little roundabout.
I looked around, the corevorbis codec is for audio only. Which OGM container codec do yo use that allows you to use SSA subs and is better than OggDS?
I looked around, the corevorbis codec is for audio only. Which OGM container codec do yo use that allows you to use SSA subs and is better than OggDS?

Sorry i thought there was a seperate release of the OGG Filter inside MPC.. Since most of all his filters are standalone and inside MPC.. I use the internal one of MPC all the time.. But there is also another build of OggDS that fixes some bugs since it was open sourced.. i will try to find it for yea. Also i was talking to the developer of MPC and i think he said that he trys to hook the calls to Macrovision on NT systems and turn it off.. so you might wish to try it..

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  any canadians help? animeshop 0 2,744 07-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Last Post: animeshop
  Anyone help me with this... Krooner 5 3,858 09-02-2006, 10:20 AM
Last Post: Psygnius
  Tech Help Needed: looking to buy some new hardware Batz Kage 8 5,367 08-27-2006, 01:03 AM
Last Post: odin0425
  Help! I need to find this Music Video! Ka-Talliya 3 2,969 08-10-2006, 04:18 AM
Last Post: Ka-Talliya
  need help getting a ringtone! Ranmafan 5 4,036 07-07-2006, 11:21 PM
Last Post: Psygnius
  Help a brother out? darkanx 7 4,864 06-04-2006, 07:30 PM
Last Post: Cidien
  iTunes Help! gubi-gubi 2 2,337 05-13-2006, 12:42 AM
Last Post: vegeta76
  computer help needed Batz Kage 12 4,918 03-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Last Post: Batz Kage
  A little technical help Homeless Joe 9 5,480 01-25-2006, 11:52 AM
Last Post: Homeless Joe
  Need help locating game pictures Cidien 13 6,878 01-20-2006, 05:33 AM