Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Your most disappointing anime this year?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Mine sadly would have to be Witch Hunter Robin, l had high expectations for this series but was disappointed with the general momentum, and overall feel. l was expecting monsters, super natural horror ala Hellsing, Boogiepop, instead we see episode after episode of witches and then getting caught week after week. Though beautiful and an evocative soundtrack, its a meh rating from me.
Though not from this year or even the last decade... Galaxy Express...

I was hoping for a retro epic... or even something with a more continuous storyline. There are barely any stories which are more than one episode long. Character development seems extremely slow... Tetsuro just never learns to stay on the train sometimes. Big Grin

I guess it's length made me expect a more engaging story... these days such a series would not last beyond 13 eps. On saying that the stories aren't objectionable... just a bit repetitive and quaint. I'll probably stick with it to the end though.
l saw his latest opus Galaxy Riders l think, kinda of dull in my opinion
I think I liked everything you hated about Witch Hunter Robin, overall it became one of my favourite series. heh.
Hellsing was a little disappointing in the end.
But Spiral the Deduction Connection was the anime that disappointed me the most. The first half of the series was okay and interesting, but after that it just goes down hill from there, and it provides No Answers for all of the important mysteries that it all began with, and that just really pissed me off, because that was the only reason I kept watching it, to find out the truth.
Unless there are more episodes of this series on the way, I'd have to say it's the most dissapointing anime I've seen in a while.
Mahoromatic was a big let down. It was like watching a kiddie cartoon for 8 year olds but with tit jokes and nudity. The combination just didn't work for me. FX's half assed job didn't help any.
The biggest disappoint as far as a DVD release goes is FX's Gundam 0083 Stardust Memory Perfect collection. An absolutely horrible release of one of my favorite animes. Lets just say I won't be buying anything else from FX.
Quote:Originally posted by vicnuts
Lets just say I won't be buying anything else from FX.

I find it funny when people say that. How many bad releases did MI do and people still buy their sets...but FX does a bad rip and everyone goes "I'LL NEVER BUY FX AGAIN!" Rolleyes
Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
I find it funny when people say that. How many bad releases did MI do and people still buy their sets...but FX does a bad rip and everyone goes "I'LL NEVER BUY FX AGAIN!" Rolleyes

I agree ... some people have gotten a bit to spoiled ... Start buying some MI, AV set's, you will get a lot more bad assed, tv ripped, engrish subbed set's then FX ever has done wrong ...

vicnuts: "FX's half assed job didn't help any."

I checked the same set (Toshiba SD-M1612), and i saw 0 of those problems you reported with the video (it's for that reason that i rechecked the set just to be shure Smile ). Maybe it's time for you to update your DVD players there firmware, sinds your dvd players don't detect the right decode mode. Note: when you have a disk that doesent play like it needs to, ask for a replacement...

General Comment: People, learn that dvd players are like pc software, you need to update them also to remove bug's / playback problems. You may be surprised what a firmware update can help.

Ontopic:

Worst serie's that i have seen up to now are:

Brain powerd ( nothing good can be said about this serie at all ).
Silent Mobius ( boring ).
Every FX release I've bought has had problems, from minor to major (with the exception of the ROLW remastered). I shouldn't have to "upgrade firmware" because of their DVDs lack of video quality. The difference between MI & AV in comparison to FX is that they don't stamp "Perfect" on everything they release knowing thats not the case.
FX rarely stamps perfect on anything. I can't think of anything at the moment. It's added by Import-Anime and caught on by alot of other places to signify a R1 rip.

MI and AV don't do R1 rips, that's a big difference. And FX does, and lots of times, R1's can be bad quality. Perhaps the R1's for whatever series bothers you so much has those same problems you don't like?

I've seen about 7 FX releases, and had no problems with them in terms of video errors. It really does sound like your DVD player, dude.
It's your DVD player if you're having problems with all FX sets...
Quote:Originally posted by vicnuts
I shouldn't have to "upgrade firmware" because of their DVDs lack of video quality.

Well, i shouldn't need to update my windows every freaking week becouse of some bug that was found somewhere, but you still need to do it to be shure it plays ...

I shouldn't need to upgrade my dvd software, becouse some video material will have a bug with that software (like a line into the video material), but it still needs to be done ...

Every software can have bug's, and upgrade's/update's are needed to fix those bugs, it's not becouse a fx disk exposes that bug on your players that it's all fx it's fault ...

Every FX release has problems ... well ... that clearly shows that your DVD players are the one's with the problems, sinds not every dvd from fx has been made by the same person (differende encoding technics), and arent all mode in the same factory, so it's impossible that every fx release has those same problems ...

I'll give you a example ... check ANF forum, for inuyasha FX. I had a problem that on playback there was a line in my video source (about 1 cm from the top), most other people dident have that ... i updated my dvd software ( bugfixes) ... guess what ... the problem in the video was gone.

Now, did i start to claim that all fx release are bad, no ... Yes, sometime's they do fuck up, nobody's perfect all the time. If you think that FX does all the ripping/dvd mastering themself, then you are dead wrong ( one person in this trait knows that better then the rest of us Wink ), so it's logical that flaws can find it's way in production run's... But that claim that all FX have problems, well then ... my answer to you, stop buying FX title's, and start buying some tv ripped/engrish sourced dvd's from AV or MI...

And also, the perfect term like was said by dvd_master, mail flora (FX) in person, and you will hardly see him use the term "perfect", he will use the product name's but thats it. Store's, and review site's will use the term *perfect* on the R1 ripped dvd's, so people know that it's a r1 rip. Mac also uses this term a lot on it's r1 rips ...

Your rip can NEVER get any better then the original material was (the max you can get is the same quality). Thats it ...
Alright, gotta disagree with a few bits.

The same people DO make FX's DVDs. He has a 'production company' that always handles all the releases, so all problems stem from them. There are actually perfect sets, without problems, just not as many as one would like.

And an R1 rip CAN be better then the R1. If the encoder has the brains to run some filters to rid out noise, fix color corrections, (properly) sharpen the video, then reencode properly it's very possible for it to turn out better.

Or menus, those can be changed for better ones. Extras can be added, annoying subtitle colors can be changed to good ones, etc. It's rare they do this, but whenever I have a R1 rip to do, I usually try to do some of that stuff.

MAC is the one who uses Perfect Collection term, that is true. It sounds like your DVD player was the one with the problems in the Inu Yasha FX set. It seems like it was handling interlaced video improperly, and you're 'upgrade' fixed that. All the DVDs are the same, no ones perect Inu Yasha dvds are different from another's.

Ah, well I'm through. FX is one of the better ones out there, even if their packaging sucks.
Some FX packaging is really nice like Knight Hunters (Black), Ghibli, Hellsing, Bebop, new kenshin, kenshin ova

Others are plain and utter puke: Ranma series (though most of the ranma sets packing from the other companies are ugly too), Ceres, the old Lodoss cover.

MI tends to have the most sexy ones in general though they have their fair shair of duds too. It's all about the sexiness. Big Grin
back to topic pleaseWink
LOL! I was wondering if this was going way off target. I think for me the most disappointing anime was Banner of the Stars. I think it just kinda lags and does not get as good as Crest of the Stars. It's not that bad, but it was a let down Sad

Oh and BTW... FX makes some really good sets. I have quite a few myself and have never had problem with them. The only one that had some very minor video problems was trigun. But for the price you pay what the hell do you expect!??!! To slam on FX and say that all of the stuff they put out is crap is just retarted. So IMO you need to stop your crying and get your self a better dvd player. Or stop buying Imports.
Pages: 1 2 3