Disc rot?
I've heard of something called "disc rot" that plagues some DVDs, and reportedly some import anime DVDs. I've been buying import anime for a few years now with few problems (and in those rare instances, usually just get a replacement disc), but I've encountered one this weekend that makes me worry.

One of my oldest sets is SAILOR MOON S from FX (white gatefold packaging). I've had it for about four years, and we've watched it several times in the past with no problems. However, we popped it in this weekend and one of the discs won't play at all, and another disc boots but stutters badly. There's not a scratch to be found -- they simply won't play now, when they've played in the past. I tried it on two different players with the same result.

Obviously the whole set needs replaced.

So my question is -- is this a common occurance? Has anyone else had this problem? If so, should I be worried about the rest of my import DVDs? I'm really afraid that the money I saved buying import will be wasted, as I'll have to re-buy my collection in a few years anyway.

Anyone?
Hey, there. Yes, I've encountered this before. It was with a DVD I bought in 2000. After a year, one section of the video stopped working. Basically, whenever I played up to that point, the video would freeze for a minute or two and then skip to the next chapter! It's horrendous!

In terms of frequency of occurance, here's some info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disk_rot

In my own DVD's, I'll be honest and say I'm not 100% sure as to whether or not disk rot is common. It's only happened to me once, but then again, I haven't checked my other DVDs.

I hope my post helped somewhat. Smile
Please visit my web site: Archangel's Perch
Personal disc rot is hard to gauge. The disc may have suffered slight damage and that's why it's not working. They can be fickle.
Or more likely the dvd player is being fickle... I have a Panasonic that would play any HK's, dvdr's, R1's great... then after a couple of years or so, it stopped reading the dvdr's... and then the HK's... still plays R1's fine though... and sometimes the others.. but when it stopped reading them, I bought a new player...

And some dvd players just won't play some HK dvd's... we've had this discussion before... what works for some people, doesn't work for others... Apex usually plays anything depending on the model... (older model played anything, but newer model doesn't) but the catch is it doesn't play them extremely well in the way of video quality, or it doesn't play them for long cause it just doesn't last as a dvd player. Usually about a year or so... but then they are cheap... shrug...
Yeah, tell me about it! Disks are easily scratched, etc. As for the one disk I had problems with, I played it twice around when I got it, then didn't play it until a year later. That's when it didn't work. And, it doesn't work on any other players either. Or my computer. Always the same problem. Maybe it's damaged? I have looked at it thoroughly and there doesn't seem to be damage, but hey, maybe it's microscopic! Either way, disks are definitely fickle.

I personally recommend Toshiba DVD players. I have one that's lasted 5 years without issue. Most of my friends use Toshiba as well and have had no issues either. Smile
Please visit my web site: Archangel's Perch
So called "disc rot" was a problem that laser discs suffered from because of their large size and the amount of flexing they were subject to. I've never had a dvd that's given me problems because of that-scratches are another problem, though.
I love anime-but I still have a life-but not by choice......?
You might see if your computer will read the discs, and, if so, burn copies before it's too late.
it sometimes happens with DVDs in digiboxes, because some of the boxes are sticked together with a certain glue, which damages the DVDs... Not only anime DVD, all kind of DVDs!
Don't tread on me, you bastards!

www.animemusicbox.de.vu
www.blackadderschrein.de.vu
Ya'll know what "disc rot" actually is? Basically the bond between the reflective layer and the resin on the label side of the disc is broken and the atmosphere corrodes the aluminum reflective layer, aka "disc rot". It'll happen it you flex the disc excessively.
I love anime-but I still have a life-but not by choice......?
Conservatory of the proceeds goes to pokerstars.de robert f. This digital onus is an article from biotech play poker update, published by thomson gale on poker stars 1, 2005. Citation details title: onyvax enrolls for dethronement ultimatebet phase iia clinical trial.