? about Fushigi Yuugi FX Box Set
Ok people...

anybody else got this set, the Fushigi Yuugi FX gorgeous box set, the black one with the gold foil emblems on it?

You seriously might want to check the first disk in each of the sets... Suzaku and Seiryu... not the OVA's, and see if they are beginning to deteriorate... like my set is... (I was hoping it was just my set, but Eric1030's set I was going to buy is the same way) both those disks are seriously marked up... not from scratching, but maybe from the layers seperating from the disk itself...

I am so pissed... I don't even know if the disks will even play... they may still do so... but I sure as heck am having a very hard time backing them up!! So glad we kept the other HK set...

Makes me worried about any of the other untold amount of HK disks I have in my collection...

So let's hear it... anybody else have the same thing going on??
I also have this box set. The dvds on the Suzaku set don't seem to have any problems, same for the OVA ones but I did notice some marks on the dvds of the Seiryu box. They're slightly lighter in color around the center than on the outside. The truth is they're working perfectly well and I can't say they weren't already like this when I got them so I guess I'll just have to wait and see...
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Yeah like Amethyst said above we both have the same problem that being the first Disc's in both of the 3 disc sets included in the box have bad disc #1's. Its the first time I've seen this and I own alot of HK DVD sets.
Well I'm seriously hoping I don't see any more of my HK disks like that since I have quite a lot... it is almost like it has etched markings throughout the disks... one of my disks, the Seiryu one is almost completely covered in the markings... the Suzaku one is only half covered...

I'm hoping they will still play... lol... right now I'm trying to back them up, but it is taking a very long time with all the read errors on the disk... sigh...
I think you might be experiencing DVD Rot. I've known about it for a long time, but I've never experienced it myself, at least not yet. Actually, I've seen some cases of CD Rot happening, but not to a DVD yet.

Here's more info on it here...
http://hometheater.about.com/cs/dvdlaser...vdrota.htm
Thanks for posting that Psygnius. I have heard about DVD rot for a while and even experienced it on a R1 disc I had a year ago (The Matrix).

I would check my boxed set as well but right now almost all my anime is packed up in preparation for my move next month. I will try to remember to check my set in November when I open things up again.

Now that I think of it, disc three of my Cowboy Bebop perfect collection has been experiencing problems lately (one of the sets I loan out a lot). I will have to look if the problem is disc rot or scratches. I had figured the problem was just getting beaten up in its travels but disc rot is just as likely a candidate.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Of course... now that I think about how many sets of HK DVDs I own and how few of them have experienced DVD rot I'm thinking that the reliability is still pretty good for them.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
Zagatto Wrote:Of course... now that I think about how many sets of HK DVDs I own and how few of them have experienced DVD rot I'm thinking that the reliability is still pretty good for them.

Yeh for the price they hold up pretty well for the most part. Worrying a bit about some though. Those little 'skips' that some sets have I think have got worse on a few sets. Maybe that's the first sign Sad
This doesn't fit the description of delamination as described in this article about dvd rot "Symptoms of the rot include picture break-up and freezing at a specific place on the disk. The main cause is believed to be poorly designed cases. Delamination shows up as a coffee-like stain that prevents the disc from playing." from here:

http://hometheater.about.com/gi/dynamic/...920%2F6009

It is more like the disks have been etched all over it... and I know they aren't scratched because they haven't even been out of the case holders or played!! I can't find an actual picture of a dvd with rot... the link is broken...

A gentleman on AN said the disks were bubbling... and he's seen it on quite a few US made disks that are mass produced from low quality disks... if you want to read about it, just go to the forum under HK DVD Discussion same topic as this one... and I can't link it cause it wants me to log in... lol..
I had this problem with some laserdiscs but I didn't think it could happen to dvd x_x

*makes dvd-r backups of all owned hk sets*
aka EngrishMajor
Liete Wrote:I had this problem with some laserdiscs but I didn't think it could happen to dvd x_x

*makes dvd-r backups of all owned hk sets*

Ah man, I don't even want to contemplate that prospect... laugh... I have 800 listings (that's not disk count folks, that's just seperate listings) just for anime, not counting hentai...(it's not that big of a list people, don't get excited... lol) but then some of those are already dvdr's... May have to rethink keeping 2 copies of anime... nahhh... got too much stuff as it is already....
hummmmmmmmmmmmmmm think i answered this for you Wink But, since not everyone knows the answer i will post it here too.

There are 2 respective conclusions to this and (amethyst has had her disks replaced btw), i believe that they are very interesting.

1. Sub Standard Media (Either FX or the Printer) used crap processing. Now this isnt badtalking FX, im pointing things out. Since it seems to have happend in the same "printing frame" i think that one of thier printers cut some serious corners.

2. These could be those "bootleg" fx (yes bootleg of bootlegs) disks that were around some time ago. There have been threads regarding them.

Either way, both of the disks in question have been examined by myself and another dealer whom has been selling items on media for a very long time (i go back to laserdisk days), and it is definately NOT laserrot. It is just crap printing.

B
laugh.. that's sorta good to know it's not laser rot... from the definitions I'd seen of laser rot, it is more like a coffee stain... not an etching.. but then I don't know what delamination of the layers looks like either...

But it is sucky to know that bad printing of disks on low quality materials was probably at fault since it puts into question the quality of all dvd's now HK or otherwise...

As for the copies of bootlegs... I'm confused... I know it can and probably was done, but wouldn't that likely be the entire set instead of just 2 disks out of 8? Not to mention that was the high profile FY box with the gold foil emblems... so wouldn't that be really difficult to copy and reproduce? Or did somebody just take off with 2 of the disks and replace them with copies before they were sent out?

I guess it's gonna be pretty hard to tell if the FY box set was an original or not... looks pretty good anyway... laugh.. so guess it doesn't matter at this point.

Thanks again!!