Bleach
So who all saw the release of Bleach and what did you think of it. I personally thought it was ok except for ichigo's voice. Also once I found out that they changed "death god" with soul reaper, I stopped watching. Sad

Oh well, at least they left in the main theme music and video.
Animes I Own:

~Hellsing
~Chobits
~Read or Die
~D.N. Angel
~Last Exile
~X
~Love Hina
~Onegai Teacher
~Ninja Scroll
"Soul Reaper" is a better cultural translation, "Death God" is just the literal translation of shinigami. "Soul Reaper" just makes more sense than "Death God", since "God" usually refers to one entity of worshipped existence, and there would be like over a million Gods of Death, all of which are not famously known to the human world nor worshipped. Hence why I prefer the cultural translation, as opposed the literal word translation. If not a cultural translation, then the original "shinigami" would've been fine too.

I haven't seen the English version of Bleach, but I heard it was a pretty good dub so far.
i was surprised

i expected cartoon network to royally mess up that series but so far its fine (at least till kon comes) i heard his voice acting and it made me cringe
Cyrus
Hmm, hadn't realized it had been picked up. But then again, I've head my head in a car that I'm working on for like two months and haven't been on the net in over a month. It must not be Viz that got it since they are the ones using Soul Reapers as...damn. Looked it up. WTF. Hey it's on adult swim! How'd that happen? Damn, I really have been gone for a while. I'll have to check this out, but the fore mentioned Death Gods translation will bug me since I'm current on the US manga.

Edit: Ok two things. I like Rukia's voice less than Ichigo's, I think he just needs time to develop some personality in the role. Rukia sounds, well, dead lol. Second, she says she is a soul reaper. It says soul reaper on the AS site. Where the hell does death god come in?
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Blight Wrote:Hmm, hadn't realized it had been picked up. But then again, I've head my head in a car that I'm working on for like two months and haven't been on the net in over a month. It must not be Viz that got it since they are the ones using Soul Reapers as...damn. Looked it up. WTF. Hey it's on adult swim! How'd that happen? Damn, I really have been gone for a while. I'll have to check this out, but the fore mentioned Death Gods translation will bug me since I'm current on the US manga.

Edit: Ok two things. I like Rukia's voice less than Ichigo's, I think he just needs time to develop some personality in the role. Rukia sounds, well, dead lol. Second, she says she is a soul reaper. It says soul reaper on the AS site. Where the hell does death god come in?

Yeah that's what I was sorta thinking. I was more used to death god cus i've been watching the fansub. When I found out that they changed it, I decided to just stick with the fansub.Smile
Animes I Own:

~Hellsing
~Chobits
~Read or Die
~D.N. Angel
~Last Exile
~X
~Love Hina
~Onegai Teacher
~Ninja Scroll
i'm not even going to take time to watch them and just stick to the fan subs. in fact i'm dling eps 96 right now =)
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
AS was my first time ever seeing Bleach, pretty good for a first episode I thought. I liked the dub that doesn't mean much though, most people when they talk about dubs make me feel like I must me be tone-deaf. Smile

I heard someone say Bleach isn't very good until after 15 episodes or so, do a lot of Bleach fans feel this way?
Personaly i loved it, Ichigo voice was a bit diff then I expected but all in all it was great. I just started reading the US manga and all through it they are reffered to as soul reapers so I don't see what the big deal is about switching it from shinigame (death god) to soul reaper. its just an effort to connect better with an american culture, which is fine by me. good work AS.
voodo14 Wrote:I just started reading the US manga and all through it they are reffered to as soul reapers so I don't see what the big deal is about switching it from shinigame (death god) to soul reaper. its just an effort to connect better with an american culture, which is fine by me. good work AS.

I agree. EVERYTHING in Japanese is so damned literal in regards to naming, but that is just part of their culture. It isn't so over here. Seriously, when was the last time we actual called something a simple and direct name. I mean, how many bleeding people get called techs or associates in their jobs when they run a cash register or handle a mop. Now, (with out being derogatory; i do run a cash register too btw lol) our culture is just a lot more specific when it comes to naming and classifying things. Translation is more than text, and Soul Reaper sounds cooler than Death God. The whole issue of there being Millions of death gods was a good point for that. It is just silly. But more on point, culture is part of translation. If you are going to supper impose the language of a people on an anime, you need to integrate culture too. It does create a difficult balancing act between what needs to remain pure about the show/manga/game and what can be altered to be evoking, but that would be trick to making a truly great dub and why we see so few of them.
well whether or not the english dub is good is kinda irrelevent for this anime because this anime is one of those that you just want the japanese voices. im not saying you dont want the japanese voices on all anime but i mean u watch last exile dubbed and its great and work and you watch bebop dubbed and its cool too but if i tried to watch the samurai x movies dubbed it just sucks cus i mean when we have samurai we need japanese voices. It just fits way better. For some reason bleach is the same way maybe because of it's genre but it just feels weak when listening to the english dub of course like i said before its pretty good but it still lacks enough that im gonna stick to japanese dubbing
Cyrus
Cyrus Wrote:well whether or not the english dub is good is kinda irrelevent for this anime because this anime is one of those that you just want the japanese voices. im not saying you dont want the japanese voices on all anime but i mean u watch last exile dubbed and its great and work and you watch bebop dubbed and its cool too but if i tried to watch the samurai x movies dubbed it just sucks cus i mean when we have samurai we need japanese voices. It just fits way better. For some reason bleach is the same way maybe because of it's genre but it just feels weak when listening to the english dub of course like i said before its pretty good but it still lacks enough that im gonna stick to japanese dubbing

Wow great replies you guys. And Cyrus I felt the same way in that the dub felt weaker then the japanese dubbing.

Also Blight I felt the exact oppisite in that Death God sounded cooler too me, but I'll respect your opinion.Big Grin

Great replies you guys!Smile
Animes I Own:

~Hellsing
~Chobits
~Read or Die
~D.N. Angel
~Last Exile
~X
~Love Hina
~Onegai Teacher
~Ninja Scroll
I thought the dub was well done.
aka EngrishMajor
Lionheart Wrote:Also Blight I felt the exact oppisite in that Death God sounded cooler too me, but I'll respect your opinion.Big Grin

Well, ok. But how about we compromise on Death Reapers since it sounds cooler than either one.:p
Blight Wrote:Well, ok. But how about we compromise on Death Reapers since it sounds cooler than either one.:p

lol... I like the way that sounds too. +1 for Death Reapers. Big Grin
Blight Wrote:Well, ok. But how about we compromise on Death Reapers since it sounds cooler than either one.:p

Yeah ok I see nothing wrong with that.Big Grin
Animes I Own:

~Hellsing
~Chobits
~Read or Die
~D.N. Angel
~Last Exile
~X
~Love Hina
~Onegai Teacher
~Ninja Scroll

Possibly Related Threads…