Lip Sync
Notice how the english dubbing for anime is exceptionally well done. The lip sync is so precise you'd think the original language was english. The Americans has done a nice job. Compared to live movie dubbing, anime has the upper hand. This could be the case for most anime if not, all anime. You guys agree?
[Image: mypic3.gif]
<death ain't so scary>
in order for the lips to match the english dialog they change the script, and at times, its a big difference from original japanese version.
True. Truth is, I enjoyed the dubbing in The "Cowboy Bebop" movie over the sub because the show is so americanised... So. Is it a big difference in english sub as well? are you saying the english subbing is more accurate? In any case, the english subbing is very frustrating. Especially when it is unproffesionally done.
<death ain't so scary>
Most things are annoying when there badly done, including dubbing.

Anyway, I think most of the time the English dubs are pretty good. True, some details (and somethimes more) is lost during the translation, but the subs have the same problem. It's near impossible to translate from one one language to another without losing something.
RF_InSAnE Wrote:True, some details (and somethimes more) is lost during the translation, but the subs have the same problem. It's near impossible to translate from one one language to another without losing something.

Maybe but the subs will always be more acurate than the dub. Not too sure why everyone rates the Cowboy Bebop dub as weird stuff is added in that annoyed me a bit. Can't remember right now it was a while ago but it was one phrase... Ha that's going to annoy me now so gonna have to rewatch it tommorow! Couldn't really watch it dubbed though so gave up and watched the subs.
True, subs are more accurate to the original translation. However, sometimes, being more accurate can sometimes (but rarely) lose some meaning in the cultural differences.

And it's EXTREMELY rare that a dub would turn out overall better than the dub. However it does happen. Personally, I think the dub in Full Metal Panic was much better than the sub, especially with the later episodes. I'm one of those weird freaks that likes to watch the dub with the subs turned on.
gubi-gubi Wrote:Maybe but the subs will always be more acurate than the dub. Not too sure why everyone rates the Cowboy Bebop dub as weird stuff is added in that annoyed me a bit. Can't remember right now it was a while ago but it was one phrase... Ha that's going to annoy me now so gonna have to rewatch it tommorow! Couldn't really watch it dubbed though so gave up and watched the subs.

Some sort of COWBOY BEBOP spoiler coming up...

Are you talking about when Spike says something like... "I love a woman who can kick my ASS."
<death ain't so scary>
i rather have a direct as close as possible translation even if the mouth doesent match at all. I can put up with a minor annoyance like that but even if i watch an anime and in japanese it says that tree is gigantic and then in engish it says that tree is big then im missing the magnitude of the tree and just that little bit annoys me and i miss out.
Cyrus
Cyrus Wrote:i rather have a direct as close as possible translation even if the mouth doesent match at all. I can put up with a minor annoyance like that but even if i watch an anime and in japanese it says that tree is gigantic and then in engish it says that tree is big then im missing the magnitude of the tree and just that little bit annoys me and i miss out.

That's pretty much how I feel. I always feel like im missing something when im watching a dub and it puts me off.

YamiFan Wrote:Are you talking about when Spike says something like...

No I can't be sure what it was as I can't find my FX set but I think it was something like 'You're the best in Shanghai' or something and it was said a few times but not mentioned at all in the subs so was just a stupid pointless phrase added in.