Is this even real?!
gubi-gubi Wrote:Yes a duck is a duck but a white PSP is not a white person and a black PSP is not a black person. Linking the two is not some great representation of race relations its pretty damn offensive and is cheapening how far we have come in race relations.

I'm not going to argue with you about my stance, cause I don’t have to. People automatically see any contrast in race as negative. I don't. People should be proud of being black, or being Asian, and even be proud of being white. You should always have a sense of pride about your where you come from and who you are. You obviously don't know what personification is since SONY was just trying to give the PSP's the human characteristic of battling. They used a black person to represent the black PSP and the white person to represent the White PSP. SO FUCKING WHAT! Get over it. This is what causes people of different races to uncomfortable with each other. People can't just be open about shit likes this, and weather you want to admit it, that is a serious fucking problem.

evilomar Wrote:If those chicks were topless, I might have considered buying a shitty-ass PSP!

LOL. I wouldn't though. I mean, I'm afraid I'd see the rest of that poodle somewhere disturbing.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
gubi-gubi Wrote:Has anyone seen this? I can't believe it's even REAL! What went through Sony's head when coming up with this lol...

http://uk.psp.ign.com/articles/717/717138p1.html

Even if, like Sony said, there were no racist motivations behind this campaign they should've known people weren't going to react very well. In my opinion, people only react like that to this kind of thing because one way or another they are racists. If people didn't think in terms of race a campaign like this would be seen as completely harmless.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
Andromeda18_ Wrote:If people didn't think in terms of race a campaign like this would be seen as completely harmless.

If people weren't thinking in terms of race the advert wouldn't exist. The whole premise is race and that's the reaction they were aiming for.
gubi-gubi Wrote:Yes a duck is a duck but a white PSP is not a white person and a black PSP is not a black person. Linking the two is not some great representation of race relations its pretty damn offensive and is cheapening how far we have come in race relations.

And therein lies the problem. People see races instead of seeing people. Race relations this, race relations that, wtf?! We're all people and we definitely need to start seing each other as people and not as some colour. People only see evil in a campaign like this one because that evil is inside of them.
Diversity is a beautiful thing, diferent cultures, diferent people that's part of what makes this world worth living in. If only people could truly see the beauty in that there'd be no such thing as racial problems.

gubi-gubi Wrote:If people weren't thinking in terms of race the advert wouldn't exist. The whole premise is race and that's the reaction they were aiming for.

I don't think the premise is race, I think they're just making a good use of the white person-black person/white psp-black psp relation.
I agree completely with Blight and Elcoholic on this.

Blight Wrote:LOL. I wouldn't though. I mean, I'm afraid I'd see the rest of that poodle somewhere disturbing.

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I find it funny how people think this is racist:
[Image: whitepspeurope5gn.jpg]
but don't think this is:
[Image: whitepspeurope29kg.jpg]

You either think they both are or think neither is.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:And therein lies the problem. People see races instead of seeing people. Race relations this, race relations that, wtf?! We're all people and we definitely need to start seing each other as people and not as some colour. People only see evil in a campaign like this one because that evil is inside of them.

So because I care about not offending peoples feelings im racist? I'm ment to look at an image of two people with hugely exagerated races, with text that plays on the fact that they are black and white people and I am ment to just see two people? If that was the case why couldn't the black person be dressed in white or vice versa? I know what you are trying to say but I don't think it applies to this advert. You don't look at an advert for GAP or something and say oh they're black or oh they're white do you? You just see a model in an advert. This whole advert is making you notice the race of the people involved when infact it doesn't matter. The advert HAS offended people and hasn't done Sony any favours. You can't praise them for that. The idea of getting to a time when people see people not race is what we are working towards, this is setting that time backwards.

Edit:

Andromeda18_ Wrote:You either think they both are or think neither is.

My point still applies to those other pics to.
gubi-gubi Wrote:If that was the case why couldn't the black person be dressed in white or vice versa?

Because the black person already is black and the white person already is white. Making the white one black and the black one white would be a pointless waste of resources.
This is human nature, we might want to live in an wholey accepting and diverse society yet as some of you have pointed out we should be proud of our heritage and yet that seperates us. I would like to live in that idealic society yet I don't, I live in one of if not the most diverse cities on the planet, but we are nowhere near such an acheivement.

So since we must acknowldege the times we live in we MUST accept that there are going to be things that we might say, do, express, etc; that offend others, it's human nature, it's going to happen. So I say again, Sony knew that these ads would stir up the media, and they have.

Is this publicity going to bring people together, or make them settle differences, NO! Is it going to sell PSPs, probably!

Some of you seem to forget that Sony is about the bottom line, not making us feel all lovey dovey about one another.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:I find it funny how people think this is racist:
[Image: whitepspeurope5gn.jpg]
but don't think this is:
[Image: whitepspeurope29kg.jpg]

You either think they both are or think neither is.

It's simply because people are morons it's that simple.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
gubi-gubi Wrote:Same goes to that comment to. Who does Sony think it is to be trying to represent race relations? How is offending people on a billboard adressing the topic? It doesn't adress anything in anyway. Tell me how you think this is a positive thing?

That's the point and your problem in one. They are not trying to depict race relations, atleast that's not how you should see it. They are telling you the white psp is comming and the black psp is here to stay and won't be 'erased'. Nowhere does it say one is better/stronger/smarter than the other which is what racism is about, one being better than the other (in people's perceptions).

Should it just be made illegal to have white and black people together on a picture or something? Some people might perceive the way they look at each other as racist. I bet alot of the people who say this is racist are the same that just don't want colours mingling (non on this forum though). I also bet in the US the pic with the black girl on top would be the most controversial.
Well, the haters got what they wanted. They pulled the add.
Elcoholic Wrote:Nowhere does it say one is better/stronger/smarter than the other which is what racism is about, one being better than the other (in people's perceptions).

There are more levels to racism than just saying ones better than another. The Dave Chappelle Show to me features racist jokes. It's written by a white guy and a black guy and nearly every sketch is pointing out how different races are all the time. To me that's racist. I like the show, think it can be funny but to go on that much to me feels like racism. For someone to have how different races are on their mind all the time is someone who has racist views. The two writers were friends and were not saying one was better than the other but something just isn't right.

Elcoholic Wrote:Well, the haters got what they wanted. They pulled the add.

Not haters, offended people. Even if the add isn't racist it's inconsiderate and the fact that the makers couldn't see that (they probably did) shows they are as cold as ice.
gubi-gubi Wrote:There are more levels to racism than just saying ones better than another. The Dave Chappelle Show to me features racist jokes. It's written by a white guy and a black guy and nearly every sketch is pointing out how different races are all the time. To me that's racist. I like the show, think it can be funny but to go on that much to me feels like racism. For someone to have how different races are on their mind all the time is someone who has racist views. The two writers were friends and were not saying one was better than the other but something just isn't right.

Not haters, offended people. Even if the add isn't racist it's inconsiderate and the fact that the makers couldn't see that (they probably did) shows they are as cold as ice.

Sony got exactly 1 complaint from within the dutch borders yet american international policing made them put it down and that angers me. Dutch and probably europeans were not offended and yes, we have plenty of coloured people here.

The people from that group fighting for black people's right's just bring this under peoples attention to further their own goals, to get in the news. They themselfs are likely to be just as racist/biased towards white people as the kkk is towards black people. They brought it to people attention in a way that makes the add racist. Every article about it opens with 'sony has racist add'. Alot of people don't even try to make up their own mind after reading that line. They just jump on the bandwagon.

Its funny you mention Chappeles show since I was just thinking about that today. I saw this show on mtv where 2 (mostly black) teams have a comedic battle of improvisation, or atleast they say its improvised. Some of the things said on there about white people don't offend me cause i see the humor in it but if a white person would say the exact same things about a black person all hell would break loose. Same with the majority of black commedians or black 'rap' movies. They can say things about white peolpe that we would never dream of saying out load about black people because they would get offended. That's messed up in my view.
Elcoholic Wrote:Its funny you mention Chappeles show since I was just thinking about that today. I saw this show on mtv where 2 (mostly black) teams have a comedic battle of improvisation, or atleast they say its improvised. Some of the things said on there about white people don't offend me cause i see the humor in it but if a white person would say the exact same things about a black person all hell would break loose. Same with the majority of black commedians or black 'rap' movies. They can say things about white peolpe that we would never dream of saying out load about black people because they would get offended. That's messed up in my view.

Stuff like that is racist to me too. It can't work only one way. I can't stand these so called 'black' films either with actors like Martin Laurence who play up to and develop stereo types that are totally unecessary. They always have one idiot white side kick as well who doesn't get the whole 'black' thing and looks stupid. One film I refused to see was called National Security I think were Martin Laurence said something about being anti-mixed marriage then going over to a hot white woman and saying 'only if the guy is white'. What the hell have we come to were that's meant to be funny? Anything that goes on and on about race pisses me off. It's boring. All races are the same no matter how many films make out that we all fit into racial stereotyped roles.
And here I thought the PSP was like cheese you could listen to outside. But it turns out to be a tool of hate! Just like Microsoft Windows and the Dreamcast. Big Grin

I think it's a dumb ad but it is working I mean we're talking about it right now after all. Big Grin

As for the race part of it I can see other people being bugged by it but I don't care and I think it might be best for me to worry about what I think, it's just a billboard...