Brainstorming
Well I have this paper that is due next week and I am drawing a blank on one of the questions. The case I have to do my paper on is Roe v. Wade. The question I am drawing a blank on is why was the case so controversial. The paper should be eay after that but any help on this subject would be appreciated. Especially since the site the prof. gave us doesn't say much. Thanks in advance for any help. Hopefully I can get this use htese expand upon it and get it done so I can go on to the other hw I have over spring break. Oy vei.
[Image: ryo5il.jpg]
Ryo of Inferno...Taooo Jiiiinnn
http://www.tourolaw.edu/Patch/Roe/

I think this is what you're talking about. I read the first paragraph and well, this english is a bit above my current level. So if you could say what the case is about in normal english i can give it a thought.
elcoholic Wrote:http://www.tourolaw.edu/Patch/Roe/

I think this is what you're talking about. I read the first paragraph and well, this english is a bit above my current level. So if you could say what the case is about in normal english i can give it a thought.

Hm I will have to read that later when I have more time.
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
If I'm understanding right, you're asking why Roe v Wade was controversial. Um. The Supreme Court decision on that case gave women the legal right to an abortion. (Or, I think more precisely, declared that women had a constitutional right to an abortion.) Now do you understand why it was controversial? (One of THE most controversial SC decisions ever.) I mean, before that decision, most women were consigned to back-alley butchers if they wanted an abortion. (The rich, of course, have always known how to get what they want, no matter what.)

So-called pro-lifers have actually curtailed women's rights to an abortion through harrassment and threats to doctors who are willing to perform abortions, and even through clinic bombings. But technically, the Supreme Court decision still holds.

If Roe v Wade was overturned ... well, I'm sure you can figure out what that would mean. This is one reason why many people are concerned about who gets on the Supreme Court. Those justices can make a big impact on people's lives in the US. (Hey, just look at the Gore/Bush election ... if you want to call that an election.)

Check out wikipedia. For sure, there has to be a lot about Roe v Wade there. You might also check about.com. If you simply googled Roe v Wade, I'm sure you'd find plenty of info.

Hope this helped. (Hope I understood you correctly.) Smile

PS. I decided to check out wikipedia myself. Technically, the decision was based on the constitutional right to privacy, which meant that state laws banning abortion were unconstitutional. LOTS of info. Check out it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roe_v._Wade
i think the the whole abortion issue is very interesting. it's hard to justify either point of view and it really hinges on one question, when does life begin. some argue that life begins at conception, in which case abortion would be murder. others say that life begins at varies other stages of development, or at the point where the baby is able to survive without the mother. but the question, for now, is a philosohical one.
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
What if a child is conceived out of rape? What if the childs birth is a great threat for the mothers life? What if the child is horibly deformed and has no chance of a long, fruitfull life?

These are some of the instances that would call for an abortion to be justified in my view.

Abortions will be done wether you like it or not so might as well have it controlled by the government instead of making people go abroad or worse, having someone who's not qualified do it for money.

Its a woman's right to make the decission, not the governments to forbid it!
there are a lot of interesting scenarios and questions that go along with abortion. personaly i don't think the matter can be solved yet, it's just interesting to discuss, imo
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
I don't know about abortions. The kid could be adopted or something as there are so many people who want children but can't have one. I do however agree that it's the womans choice to have an abortion. At the same time though I don't see why it has to be only the womans choice as the baby is only half hers. It's a tough discussion but it's not anyone elses decision to make apart from the people it concerns so as elcoholic said it should be done in a safe clean environment as if done wrong can cause the death of both the baby and the mother. What does piss me off though is religious people who get involved with it saying God wouldn't want his children to die. There's references in the Bible where God kills fetuses in the womb. Religious people have no right to impose their beliefs on people who might not think the same... Oh and don't get me started on those who bomb clinics or whatever...