Anne Freaks, up coming GTO prequel, and other stuff I read
I had Anne Freaks preordered about 3 months and it finally came in this week. By the description on the back cover, it is about a guy that is caught burying his mom by this girl. Instead of freaking out though, she gives him tips on how to not get caught. I'm gonna add that they left out the third main character and he is another person the girl (Anna) helps out after his family is all murdered. She wants their help in killing her father.

No much happens beyond that, but this first book feels like the first inning of a baseball game. You know, almost nothing happens in terms of action, but the whole direction of the game is setup from there. There is killing everywhere. Anna seems like a crazy bitch but there is obviously more to her and the other two characters that must be explored. Even while there is a lot of death, there isn't that much action, probably cause this isn't an action title, but more of a heavily character driven tale that will take some time to fully develop.

It does however get a little confusing around the introduction of the second guy. I think it is because you don’t really know wtf they are doing with this guy (no thanks to him not being mentioned on the back cover prolog) and you're not sure where this part of the story is coming from.

But it was an interesting read. I guess I was expecting more action from the preview I got, so I was a little disappointed, but I know that was because of what I was expecting it to be like. It was a lot more thoughtful than that. would suggest it to you if you like narratives that take a while to become fully realized, and characters that are NOT formed with a cookie cutter.

Other then Anne freaks, I really liked the last Vampire Hunter D book Demon Death Chase. It was a hell of a lot better than the second book. The fourth one, which comes out in August, has an awesome character in it if they continue to use him. He is a biker, and has a ridiculously long name that he demands you call him by.

I also got Bleach 11, and I am happy to say it didn't suck like 9 and 10 did. I'm waiting to get Bleach 12 and the first Claymore, the later of which I have waited on for a while.

Oh, and one after the next issue of Wolverine (it is the only comic I have every had more that one issue of and only recently) they will begin the Origins book. SPOLIER: Some interesting stuff has been discussed in the last four books of Wolverine. Apparently, even as far back as his Japan days people were trying to turn him into a beast weapon. Oh, and he had a pregnant wife that was Killed by Winter Soldier!!! That one freaked me the fuck out.

The biggest excitement of all for me however is that the GTO prequel Manga is being done by Tokyopop. Suffice to say I preordered it right away. I can't wait for Onizuka in his Biker Gang days^^.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Books? What are those :p

Never heard of it but that Anne thing sounds like a mighty fine anime.

I've caught up with the bleach anime eps and I've been hooked from like ep20. Took a long time to grab me but it gets really good after a while.
Blight Wrote:The biggest excitement of all for me however is that the GTO prequel Manga is being done by Tokyopop. Suffice to say I preordered it right away. I can't wait for Onizuka in his Biker Gang days^^.

I've bought/read 3 volumes of Shonen Junai Gumi so far and I can tell you it's hilarious! You won't see as much of his Biker Gang days as you might expect since Onizuka is trying to leave that behind in order to pick up girls. He's tired of being a virgin (funny thing is he's still a virgin at the age of 22! :p) and wants to get some action. That leads to some truly 'laughing out loud' situations and humongous boners! Big Grin

By the way, Anne Freaks sounds pretty interesting.
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
so gto prequel is looking good???!?!?!?! i'll have to check it out for sure seeing as how gto is my favorite manga of all time.
uno...dos...tres...el shoompo
if you know how to use irc, you can check out http://www.gotlurk.net and check out the packlists. volumes 1-4 are scanlated on there.

The group I'm doing editing with is still doing the project despite it being licensed :S
http://www.illuminati-manga.com
[Image: kogepansigcopy.jpg]
I'm excited about this prequel, and the Anne Freaks thing sounds cool. I also registered at illuminati-manga.com now.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
I'm a big fan of GTO and Shonen Junai Gumi. I was suprised to find out that there's a lot more volumes of Shonen than GTO. The one volume called Bad Company is also good.. about how Onizuka met his best friend. It's interesting to see Onizuka with longer hair.

I only read the first and second chapter of Anne Freaks and wasn't really into it. But if you say it gets more interesting later on, I'll give it another shot.

I'm currently obsessed over Gantz, Beck, and Tenjo Tenge manga.
I got Claymore the other day. It was pretty interesting. Seems in this world there are monsters that run around called Yoma eat people. People are too weak to fight them so an organization has, through trial and error, made people that have mixed blood with the Yoma. This gives the strength to deal with the Yoma (and do things like swing the giant Claymore swords they wield), but they are half monster now, and it will eventual consume them completely. Oh, and they are all women because guys can't hack the transformation lol.

I thought it was nice for a first book, but like most first books, you are never very sure where the story is going because they writers are more concerned (and rightfully so) with introducing the characters. You meet three important people, Claire, the main character, this little boy tag along that makes me worry because I hate that character type, and some guy that is her organization contact. Other than that, killing Yoma. I'll be interested in seeing more of this. I think her and Gutz would get along well lol.

Also got Bleach 12 and the goodness has continued once more. I really, really want to read 13 now.

I guess you have read AF as either a scan or you can read another language version Nina? I'm getting ready to preorder 2 and if it is still slow that will disappoint me.

Also, it when I ordered Shonen Junai Gumi, it said it was vol 1 of 5, which obviously confuses me now. You know anything else?
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Blight Wrote:Also, it when I ordered Shonen Junai Gumi, it said it was vol 1 of 5, which obviously confuses me now. You know anything else?

Well, it goes like this. Shonan Junai Gumi was originally published in 31 volumes, later it was re-released in 15 volumes. Tokyopop is planning to release the 15 volume version. Each of these volumes is roughly the size of two of the others. The French edition, which I'm buying, will be comprised of 31 volumes. Perhaps the 15 volume version is better. At least it doesn't take so long to complete the series.

You can see all the original covers here: http://www.mangaverse.net/html/shonancouv.htm
i just finished reading anne freaks. i don't really know how it's going to be, they set up some interesting things but i don't know if i like how it's written or flows that much, i'll probably check out the next volume and see if it gets any better though.
btw how is the artwork in claymore? the story sounds interesting but if i like the cover picture. idk about you guys but sometimes the artwork just bugs me and even if the story is good, i just can't read it.
I'm reading AF scans. I usually read scanlations first and if I end up liking it, I buy the mangas. Whoa, Shonen was released to 15 volumes! Looks like Tokyopop is selling them for $12.99 per book. I will definately pick these up.

I saw the cover for Claymore vol. 1. Story and cover didn't look that interesting to me. I'll wait til I hear plot reviews of this from other people. The cover picture made me think of Berserk somehow.
I went the store where I usually by manga (english version) today and found Anne Freaks vol 1 staring right at me. I couldn't resist myself and brought it home. Damn you Blight for making me spend money!!! :p Big Grin