Can a higher quality DVD player show faults in a HK that lesser ones can't?
I thought I read about this in a thread here but I can't find it in search.

So anyway, I have been watching MI PC 4 disc Gungrave on my stand alone Coby DVD player and a few times grean squares have flashed on screen but when I tried it on my PS2 the squares did not show up.

I'm pretty sure my Coby player is better then my PS2 because it played the Banner of the Stars collection glitchy disc 2 better then my PS2 did not perfect but still better.

So what does it all mean?

:confused:
It could mean that your eye on the Coby player is more sensitive then the one on your PS2. So a minor scratch or imperfectoin on the dvd messes with your coby eye while the Ps2 it doesn't bother at all.
Schultz Wrote:It could mean that your eye on the Coby player is more sensitive then the one on your PS2. So a minor scratch or imperfectoin on the dvd messes with your coby eye while the Ps2 it doesn't bother at all.

That makes sense.

The eye being more sensitive to scratchs is something that is thought of as a bad thing though right? I mean it's not made more senstive on purpose for some reason is it?
Mot_Soldats Wrote:The eye being more sensitive to scratchs is something that is thought of as a bad thing though right? I mean it's not made more senstive on purpose for some reason is it?

Actually it is ment to be better. It will make a none scratched disc look better. That's the weird thing with top end players, when the are good they are very good and when they are bad they are very bad...
I've found that dvd players that have good video dacs do a much better job than ones that don't, my Sony has a 108 mhz 12 bit video dac and it makes almost anything look good.
I love anime-but I still have a life-but not by choice......?
I have a pair of integra (audiophile onkyo) players that will play everything I throw at them, while my cheaper players (sony, panasonic, apex) have a hard time with some disks.
I'm not too sure what quality Coby DVD players are like since I don't live in the states or Canada. But I do know for sure that Sony DVD players seems to great at playing HK DVDS. And when you said lesser quality DVD player, Sony doesn't seem to be a lesser quality one if you consider other "lesser" quality ones such as Teac, Digitrex and other cheaper brands.
[Image: mypic3.gif]
<death ain't so scary>
Ya sony really isn't a lesser quality player... They do make some cheaper ones but even those are decent players.

And while my old apex was cheap it played hks just fine. Only replaced it because I wanted a divx player.
I have a cheap $50 Philliphs DVD player. I was watching the GTO DVDs that I bought off this site, then I tried watching it on my parents $150 Sony DVD player and I got the green spots you were talking about. I also watched them on two of my friends PS2's and they worked fine. I dont really know what im getting at, but it just seems like the cheaper DVD players work better for HKs and things like that.
The GTO dvds don't work worth a crap anyways. Those and one decendents of darkness disc didn't work in the apex player I had and I couldn't get the GTO ones to work in any player in the house other than the computer so I just bought the R1's.
I think I just got lucky that i ended up with a DVD player that will play them. I would love to own the R1's but im freaking poor.
gubi-gubi Wrote:Actually it is ment to be better. It will make a none scratched disc look better. That's the weird thing with top end players, when the are good they are very good and when they are bad they are very bad...

Oh that's to bad I was hoping if I ever got A really good player it would be an end to any HK DVD worries I had, I guess it still would be software wise Noir FX/MI and of course Banner of the Stars collection FX come to mind.

Newer DVD Players should have an option to mimic low sensitivity, but maybe that is hard to do or something. *Shrugs*