Mistwalker the new Square?
It's hard to say now, but who knows? Blue Dragon reminds a lot of Dragon Quest and Chorno Trigger while Lost Odyssey reminds me very much of a Final Fantasy game. I sure hope Mistwalker turns out to be more like the old Square. I've been so disappointed with most of the stuff they have put out since PS2, with the exception of FFX. Even the director of FF XII left for Mistwalker! So who knows about that game. So what I'm asking is, what are the chances in like ten years from now of rpg fans to be anticipating the next Mistwalker game instead of the next Square game?
animefan777x Wrote:It's hard to say now, but who knows? Blue Dragon reminds a lot of Dragon Quest and Chorno Trigger while Lost Odyssey reminds me very much of a Final Fantasy game. I sure hope Mistwalker turns out to be more like the old Square. I've been so disappointed with most of the stuff they have put out since PS2, with the exception of FFX. Even the director of FF XII left for Mistwalker! So who knows about that game. So what I'm asking is, what are the chances in like ten years from now of rpg fans to be anticipating the next Mistwalker game instead of the next Square game?

Well, the whole creator for FF left to form Mistwalker. Also, Akira Toriyama, the charecter designer for Dragon Quest Chronotrigger, and obviously Dragonball/Z is collaborating on Blue Dragon so there you go. There is a hell of a lot of talent at Mistwalker right now, so it is possible, we will just have to see where the new boys at Square take FF 12 cause if it blows, we will have our answer.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Yes I think that the success of FF XII is the key. I think Square fans are growing impatient after each less than average release. And on top of it all, there are very few of the original members left. It would be sad to see series like Final Fantasy, Front Mission, and Mana go, but I suppose it is bound to happen eventually.
animefan777x Wrote:Yes I think that the success of FF XII is the key. I think Square fans are growing impatient after each less than average release. And on top of it all, there are very few of the original members left. It would be sad to see series like Final Fantasy, Front Mission, and Mana go, but I suppose it is bound to happen eventually.

I doubt they will disappear though. There are to many fan boys for square that think about FF when they touch themselves. I'd be like the girlfriend that treats you bad for them. They don't care cause they have low self-esteem lol.
Lets not forget Kingdom Hearts which is brilliant and they made a few good gba games in the meantime aswell.

I think its a little early to say that mistwalker is going to be big, they haven't made anything yet and if the Japanese market for xbox stays as it is it will be the last rpg they'll make for that system. Only 2% of japanese gamers want a 360. And there are not many western xbox fans who like rpg's. That's what the ps2 was for this generation.

Plus if square ever came into financial problems a remake of ff7 is all they need to get some cash back. And its not like the guy from mistwalker made ff on his own. I'm positive square has more than enough creative talent left.
elcoholic Wrote:I'm positive square has more than enough creative talent left.
Then where has it been?
I mean on the gamefaqs board, one guy was defending them by saying they stopped making most of the games & only produce them or whatever, but then again another guy says that's bull.

I'll buy FF12, & probably DQ8, but my faith in either is not strong.
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html
Good question. The same goes for all of Japan. Not many epic rpg's have come out lately. And the guy who formed mistwalker hasn't left square that long ago did he? So while he was there his ideas weren't so special anymore. Why assume they will be now?

But then again, FF12 is looking great. I'm really looking forward to the new battlesystem since I can't find the patience to play traditional turn based games anymore.
elcoholic Wrote:And the guy who formed mistwalker hasn't left square that long ago did he? So while he was there his ideas weren't so special anymore. Why assume they will be now?

Maybe that is why he left, all new arse's with new half-assed ideas screwing the future of the company. A seasoned veteran of any field can see where changes will take them and he probably jumped ship for the reasons we are talking about square right now. I mean, how many damn spin off games do we need of FFVII? They are piledriving it in to the ground.

But yes I can't wait for Kingdom Hearts 2. Which is out in Japan right now, so WTF are you doing Square, hurry the fuck up!

elcoholic Wrote:But then again, FF12 is looking great. I'm really looking forward to the new battlesystem since I can't find the patience to play traditional turn based games anymore.

I get more scared the more I learn about it. I heard it would be a lot like FFXI battle system, which will suck balls. I HATE the MMO battle setup. Nightmares of .Hack are now infesting my mind. And that news is what makes KH2 the only bright spot in their future line up for me. I'll give it a try before I condemn it, but I'm not going let my hopes run rampant over its awe-inspiring graphics.