Male or Female Lead Singer?
Hmm, the forums dead right now, but I'll ask anyway...

Used to, I HATED all bands with a female lead. I just couldn?t rock to them. But since my overnight exodus to being a punk rock fan, I have found two bands that have female leads and I really like them. Tsunami Bomb is the first, and they are good, but the newest band to land in my top five bands list are The Soviettes. Man they rule. They have a female lead and still rock hard. I was shocked. I?m not prejudice against girl performers, but they could never seem to satisfy me in terms of music. Maybe it was their all eclipsing typecast that they are pop only had a little bit to do with it, but I think it was mostly cause they were too sugary. The punk band girls are a lot more edgy, and it gives a lot of songs a sexuality and variation that makes them stand out. So now I like both.

So, what do you guys (um, I mean gals too) like?

P.S. Jessicka from JOJ has THE sexiest voice EVER!!!!
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
Welcome to the punk side, im a big punk fan too, I love Tsunami Bomb. You should check out Distillers, they're a pretty sweet band and they have a female lead singer. They have a very unique sound. Oh also check out Schoolyard Heros, they're cool too.
Blight Wrote:Hmm, the forums dead right now, but I'll ask anyway...

Used to, I HATED all bands with a female lead. I just couldn?t rock to them. But since my overnight exodus to being a punk rock fan, I have found two bands that have female leads and I really like them. Tsunami Bomb is the first, and they are good, but the newest band to land in my top five bands list are The Soviettes. Man they rule. They have a female lead and still rock hard. I was shocked. I?m not prejudice against girl performers, but they could never seem to satisfy me in terms of music. Maybe it was their all eclipsing typecast that they are pop only had a little bit to do with it, but I think it was mostly cause they were too sugary. The punk band girls are a lot more edgy, and it gives a lot of songs a sexuality and variation that makes them stand out. So now I like both.

So, what do you guys (um, I mean gals too) like?

P.S. Jessicka from JOJ has THE sexiest voice EVER!!!!
I tend to stick to groups with male singers. Punk groups with girl leads most of the time sound way too much like pop imitating punk.
[Image: 4c1.jpg]
^^Made by Blight

"If teachers were paid more, we'd be able to afford better drugs." -Eikichi Onizuka
onizuka17711 Wrote:I tend to stick to groups with male singers. Punk groups with girl leads most of the time sound way too much like pop imitating punk.

Then I definitely suggest to you The Soviettes. They aren?t pop at all. Well, maybe a little in a select few songs like Flashlight, but even that song is badass and the DUDE is singing most of it! The power of the lead in The Soviettes is what makes the difference. She just sounds...womanly? Instead of girly I guess.:confused: I just like them a lot and so I beat their drum.Smile
Idig Tsumai Bomb, i felt so bad falling asleep in those soft chairs at Warped tour 2003.
Who's the more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?
Though I dont really listen very much to bands with female leads that is not out of intention. There are not very many though in metal, well that dont suck anyway. Though Lucia has a great voice that can go well with just about any type of music.
geo85 Wrote:Though I dont really listen very much to bands with female leads that is not out of intention. There are not very many though in metal, well that dont suck anyway. Though Lucia has a great voice that can go well with just about any type of music.
Ever try My Ruin? I only listened to them becuase they did a track with Jessicka; girly metal isn't my thing.
My Soul Brings Tears to Satanic Eyes.

If Max Collins, Matt Skiba, Jimmy Urine, & Mark Phillips had a child it would be one fu*ked up mofo, but 'it' would be the God of music.

As-1D R077's temp homepage: http://www.freewebs.com/as1dr077/index.html
check out the eyeliners or girlish figure(decent girl punk bands). i like trip hop bands with female singers better(portishead, racermason) but thats just a personal preference.
Two female lead groups coming to mind (that I like) are No Doubt and Evanescence. Never really thought about liking male vs. female leads.. it really depends on the songs they sing and how it comes out.
I have a hard time choosing to like a band or not based on the gender of the performer. To me it's all about the music and how well the performer works with what talent they may have.

Just look at William Hung's musical career. There is a man with some serious limits but thanks to the wonders of modern marketing this guy is a top grossing performer.

My music collection is split about 50/50 between male and female artists. Some of my favourite female groups that come to mind right away are The Pugs, Portishead, Poe, PJ Harvey (nobody does sad/angry at the same time like her), Laurie Anderson and the list goes on and on...
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
I'd say about 90-95% of the bands I listen to have a male lead singer. However recently Kittie has become my favorite band. I love her voice. I never thought i'd like a slipknotish female band.
Well as far as rock bands go I love the bands that have a strong male lead vocal like Audioslave. But on the flip side the EuroDance I listen to almost all has strong female lead singers like Alice Deejay and Kate Ryan
I am "Pedro" I am an afro warrior-----
Excel saga
Mantis421 Wrote:Well as far as rock bands go I love the bands that have a strong male lead vocal like Audioslave. But on the flip side the EuroDance I listen to almost all has strong female lead singers like Alice Deejay and Kate Ryan

Woot for Audioslave. I have their new disc, Out of Exile. I was really pleased that they don't sound like Rage Against the Machine or Soundgarden; they have their own sound and it is real cool that they are distinct from their past.