private servers for Lineage 2 legal?
Supposedly they allow you to play for free...can someone enlighten me on this? I'm sorry if this type of post is not allowed, please feel free to delete if necessary...
1) Who are you and why would you create an account here and ask instead of on the lineage boards?
2) Lineage sucks anyways.
3) I doubt very much it's legal and I don't know how somebody would even be able to set up and run a server for a mmorpg. Most information in mmorpg's are stored on the servers and the cost of running them outside of the main company would be huge. It wouldn't make sense for anybody to create and allow free access to them even if they knew how to do so.
some mmorpg's allow that such as ultima online and ragnorak online.

I have heard it is legal and the reason is because there are no updates no hacker protection none of that unless the people running it privetly want to deal with it.

If it is legal though it's probally through a loop hole so you would want to be careful also.
Cyrus
Cidien Wrote:1) Who are you and why would you create an account here and ask instead of on the lineage boards?
2) Lineage sucks anyways.
3) I doubt very much it's legal and I don't know how somebody would even be able to set up and run a server for a mmorpg. Most information in mmorpg's are stored on the servers and the cost of running them outside of the main company would be huge. It wouldn't make sense for anybody to create and allow free access to them even if they knew how to do so.

Who am I? Well I registered and started posting about 1 year earlier than you. I was on the hkdvd scene when arcticnightfall was still in its ezboard stages and does it hurt that much to ask a question? Rolleyes

I've also traded with junkiejoe in the past so I'm not some queer that you make me out to be.
Its really a grey area. The Emulation software i don't belive is illegal since no code was taken from the game servers. But it could because you are stealing IP by using there client.. But either way if you have agreed to the EULA (when you first started playing the game) they probably disallow you running on private servers and thus your license for the game is revoked.. But i doubt they will come after you.
listy Wrote:Who am I? Well I registered and started posting about 1 year earlier than you. I was on the hkdvd scene when arcticnightfall was still in its ezboard stages and does it hurt that much to ask a question? Rolleyes

I've also traded with junkiejoe in the past so I'm not some queer that you make me out to be.

You have 4 posts - please forgive me if I didn't magically know you've been around the hk scene for so long. Still, the lineage boards would be the place to ask this kind of question. Or - you could email them yourself. Unless you just want encouragement from us to tell you it should be ok.

Emulation software is pretty much always illegal. Even old nes games and crap like that is illegal to have even if you own the game.
Emulation software is not always Illegal its the ROM's that are illegal to have..
Haha, that's true I suppose. =P