x-box next/worth it?
Now that its pretty much fact that the x-box next will not be backwards compatible and that you will have to pay extra for a system with a hard drive ( there will be multiple configurations) is it really worth it? I will keep my xbox, man there are still some great games scheduled for the xbox before game production ceases totally but is the next system worth it, computers have the option of upgrade which is easy and since new tech comes out about every six months it will never get old but do you really want to have to buy totally new hardware every 5 or 6 years and in this case still have to keep your old system if you want to keep playing the games you already have. Nintendo is making the revolution backwards compatible, why shouldn't m$ do the same. So does anyone else feel the same or what?
no backward compatibilty is a fatal mistake...but the did the HD ption so they can get the console prices cheaper...abit like the panasonic gamecube fro DVDs
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
Don't forget teh Ps3 will probably be backwards compatable also.. Another problem is that the xbox is totally changing architecture.. going from x86 to PowerPC.

Can make no judgements now but i will have to wait till the systems are out before decide.. Since all the new systems will pretty much have the same amount of horsepower behind them.
I think sometime in the future a hardware device plus some kind of software will enable backwards compatibility although maybe not immediately.

I think the next box is gonna be cooler then cool. I just hope the system sticks to the almost PC likeness which is why I like the box to a degree.
PC like id definately good fro moding ala divx playback and emulation...though they exist for other consoles the best by far is the Xbox coz of its PC likeness
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
As cool as it might be having to pay extra for a hard drive is a pain in the but, also I dont have the shelf space for another bulky system so they better make this one space efficient. Do you guys know that sony makes 57 dollars in profit for every slim ps2 they sell and microsoft loses 50 dollars for every system they sell at 149. Sony has yet to say whether or not the ps3 will be backwards compatible so I suggest to start praying and cross your fingers when e3 hits town. The ps3 will by far outclass the other two next gen and m$ and nintendo have even admitted this, not saying the other systems wont be good but nintendo has some catching up to do and the xbox next better be outrageously awesome to counter these depressing developments. That said some new xbox live news has me totally hyped, seems you can sell digital merchandise for digital bucks or even real cash, xbox live development is definitely one thing I can look forward to.
I would like to see where your getting this info that Nintendo and Microsoft has admitted this? Funny thing..

Xbox Next will use 4 PowerPC processors.. Probably G5 line or higher.. i think it will have 256 megs RAM and ATI graphics chip..

Ps3 will run cell Architechture. don't know how much ram or anything in it.. only other thing i know is it will use NVidia graphics..

Nintendo Revolution... i have no clue whats going to be in it.. But i do know that IBM is making the Processor and ATI making the graphics chip.

Btw Cell processor is jointly developed by IBM, Sony, Toshiba.

Notice IBM has there hands in EVERY one of the next generation consoles. They know what everyone is up to.. which i think is funny.

But i wouldn't make claims about which one is fastest right now.. and i most definatly don't belive nintendo or microsoft has said there's won't be as fast.. And none of them has seen the others.. plus the fact that no one knows anything about the next gen Nintendo.. damn are they tight lipped about it.
O btw i forgot to mention this..

Microsoft has finally turned a profit off the xbox. I think it was last quarter of 2004 but they finally turned a profit from the xbox..

And geo85 i think your numbers are off.. When Microsoft sold the Xbox at $300 they where STILL loosing on every xbox sold. and they have cut it cheaper.. And they are only loosing 50 now? its much more then that i hate to tell yea. But i don't think as much as used to as they have cut costs on there motherboard manufacturing.. trust me i know.. its alot smaller and alot less components on it.
the new nintendo system will be backwards compatible they released a statement like a month ago saying the new system would play all game cube games. so check the nintendo site if you cant believe someone.

-LE
[Image: delphinesig.jpg]

"Lightning strikes only once in the same place, so ill have to get you the first time." -LE

MY HK LIST

MY TRADE LIST
Yea that's about the only statement that they have made about it and that it will be Revolutionary.. other then that.. Nintendo has released next to none on it, which really makes me wonder what they are up to.
Schultz Wrote:Yea that's about the only statement that they have made about it and that it will be Revolutionary.. other then that.. Nintendo has released next to none on it, which really makes me wonder what they are up to.

I heard the new Nintendo system will play games made out of bologne!
[Image: bluetmp2.jpg] <-- Look, a broken link!

My Shiny Region 1 Anime Collection
Schultz Wrote:Nintendo has released next to none on it, which really makes me wonder what they are up to.

Nintendo is real good at that; I think it is part of thier gameplan.
[Image: kakashianbubanner3psdva9.jpg]
"OMFG, let me rush onto my NOAHS ARC!" by JunkieJoe
r00ster Wrote:I heard the new Nintendo system will play games made out of bologne!

now that is what i call Next Gen...
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
Actually at the last GDC (game developers conference) nintendo released that the system will be called the revolution, that it will be backwards compatible with the cube, it will have an online or wiFi setup, and that the processor and graphics chip are both IBM customs. The official xbox mag is who said that m$ loses $50 on each box sold at 149 so if you dispute the #'s do it with them. Second with Ibm toshiba and sony developing the cell chip it is said to run 10 time faster than the pentium 4, this was said years ago, and the screen savers on g4techtv chnl 105 on dig cable said that M$ and nintendo released statements admitting to sonys edge, they wont say anything unless its fact. I think all three systems will be great, but does anyone want to buy a new box and have to keep their old one? I actaully intend to buy all three systems but would like them to be backwards compatible so I dont have a ps2,cube,revolution,ps3,xbox,xboxnext,dvd,tv,digcable box, wireless headphone transmitter, tv all on my entertainment system, I just want to save space.
X-box sales have skyrocketed the past year so its normal that their loss becomes less since they are earning back more and more of the development costs and are getting closer to break even point with every xbox sold.

Cell chip has unbelievable ammount of calculations it can do. I read its power was 10% of the worlds fastest supercomputer and they were measuring it in terraflops whatever that means. Sounded impressive anyway but I've learned that speed isn't everything in a console.

M$ not having backwards compatibility will lose them alot of fanboys, especially if sony and nintendo will have it which has already been confirmed I think. Also I think a large part of next systems succes will be the online part and if sony and nintendo can get a good service going without having to pay for it that can give them an edge over M$ assuming they will still charge for it (and I know not many agree with my online stance, but they can do wonderfull things with it)

This is one exciting year in game land. I can't wait for the E3.