Opinions required.
Every year, in the city I live in, a very cool film festival is held. I usually attend it to watch a couple of movies but this year I'm doomed. There are about 15 movies I want to watch and the friggin' festival only lasts for 2 weeks! I suppose it's because it's the festival's 25th aniversary, they really outdid themselves this year!
Anyway, I just don't have enough time to watch all of these movies so I need to choose the ones that seem like the're the best. If you guys have watched any of them, please give me your opinion.

The Doll Master
Fighter in the Wind
Oldboy
Tokyo Noir
Vital
Sword in the Moon
One Missed Call
My Mother the Mermaid
Bunshinsaba: Ouija Board
Natural City
Arahan
Oseam
Parasite Dolls
Appleseed
Back to Gaya
[Image: ergobanner0fy.jpg]
ive only seen two out of that list

Sword in the Moon (friend has it on VCD) and i have to say that i was dissappointing...OK as in the norm story for Korean kungfu/swordplay period movies
and alot of it you couldnt see as it was mainly in the night

and Fighter in the Wind (same friend has this on VCDaswell) which was alot more better but still nothing special but some of the fight scenes are awesome..thus i choose this one out of the two ive seen

oh and i sooo wanna see the new Appleseed but waiting for the R2DVD or decent Fansub
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
Appleseed was definately interesting. It has that appeal that isn't what everyone would like. Would love to see it again to get a better appreciation for it
I am "Pedro" I am an afro warrior-----
Excel saga
Does the new appleseed have a release date for R1 yet? Can't find any info on it.
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Oldboy

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE IT NOW!!!!!!! Amazing film! Everyone should see it... It's based of a manga aswell although I havent read it yet but I am so checking it out. I also downloaded one missed call and im going to watch it soon so ill let you know if it's any good. (Sounds a bit like Phone though)
Thanks for your opinions. The funny thing is I just might be able to watch all of them or at least almost all of them. The schedule is wonderful! I'll have to watch 2 movies a day and 3 on the 26th but it's not going to be as bad as I had imagined. Not to mention both Back to Gaya and Oldboy will premiere here in regular movie theatres. I'd still like to know what you think about 'One Missed Call' Gubi-Gubi.
gubi-gubi Wrote:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SEE IT NOW!!!!!!! Amazing film! Everyone should see it... It's based of a manga aswell although I havent read it yet but I am so checking it out. I also downloaded one missed call and im going to watch it soon so ill let you know if it's any good. (Sounds a bit like Phone though)

You were so right!! I watched Oldboy on Friday night and it's nothing short of a masterpiece! The movie is truly amazing! I bet it's going to win this year's prize at the festival!
Yesterday I watched Oseam, Natural City and Parasite Dolls.
Parasite Dolls sucks!
Oseam is great! The animation is nice and although simple the story is very good and the viewer really bonds with the characters. It's also quite sad. I don't think I've ever cried so much in a movie theater! I tried holding back the tears but they just came pouring down my face, I was so ashamed. :o
Natural City is a nice movie, not great, but more than worth watching (it's visualy stunning). What a person can't expect is a typical sci-fi movie because it's all about loneliness and human relations. The director himself told us that. He decided to make this movie after reading about a man who lived in France with a dog as his only companion. Two months after the dog died the man who couldn't keep on living without his friend killed himself.
Tonight I'll be watching Vital and Ark. I'll tell you what I think about them tomorrow.
its like an open wound

then some salt being poured into it

:p

Lucky you im so enviuos wish i has a flim festival like that
it wpould be alot better than seeing the DVD/VCD's Big Grin
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
Andromeda18_ Wrote:Natural City is a nice movie, not great, but more than worth watching (it's visualy stunning). What a person can't expect is a typical sci-fi movie because it's all about loneliness and human relations. The director himself told us that. He decided to make this movie after reading about a man who lived in France with a dog as his only companion. Two months after the dog died the man who couldn't keep on living without his friend killed himself.

That's a sad inspiration for a movie. Sad It's even sadder when you can relate to it .
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
Gotta watch appleseed and Noir... Appleseed is so a foreshadow of Ghost in the Shell. I swear the delima the story shows along with is just awesome. I hope it's the new 3d version. Masamune Shirow has gotta be the best story-oriented anime maker on earth.
rav96 Wrote:its like an open wound

then some salt being poured into it

:p

Lucky you im so enviuos wish i has a flim festival like that
it wpould be alot better than seeing the DVD/VCD's Big Grin

I'm really glad I have the chance to attend such a movie festival! Variety magazine considered it one of the 20 best movie festivals in the world! Of course watching 15 movies in about a week is money and time consuming but I'm loving it, even if some of the movies weren't as good as I expected. Like Vital an Doll Master. Vital had an interesting story but in a general way it was quite insipid. The Doll Master which I expected to be great turned out to be like one of those horror movies done in the 80's where a bunch of youngsters get together in some isolated place and are murdered one by one. It wasn't even scary! It's true I don't get scared easily but still...
But you know Rav, Oldboy will premiere here in regular movie theaters this month so it will definitely premiere in England as well. Don't miss it!
I actually enjoyed "sword in the moon", it wasn't great but it wasn't bad either. It was a love/friendship story and I wasn't expecting that but I still liked it.
Ark is a FF Spirits Within like movie. It's not as well done but it has an interesting story.
Back to Gaya is wonderful! It's done in the same style as Shrek but as a movie it's much better. I mean I like the Shreks, they're pretty funny but this one has a really cool story!
I absolutely loved Fighter in the Wind! The movie's director was there and talked to us a little, he even learned a few sentences in Portuguese! I personally think that movie was great. How I wish I was as strong as Baedal! Maybe I should train in some mountain... Big Grin
I also watched Wonderful days, even though I've had it on dvd since Christmas 2003. I just like it so much I thought it was worth watching in a giant screen.
Yesterday I watched My Mother the Mermaid. I didn't expect it to be anything special but it was. It's a drama and a romantic comedy with a hint of fantasy. Within it's genre it's very good! The director was present at the festival as well.
Today I watched Arahan and Appleseed.
Arahan was another one I thought wasn't going to be good but it was. It wasn't fantastic (but good nonetheless), but then again I don't think fantasy comedies can be fantastic. The movie is really funny, and the fights are amazing even if the final battle was a bit too long. The girl in this movie is the most beautiful Asian girl I've ever seen! Honestly, So-yi Yoon is a goddess!
Now, all of you anime fans, buy, download, steal Appleseed! I don't care how you get your hands on this movie, just do it! It's amazing! As far as the story goes it's typical Appleseed (I personally loved it) but the great thing here is the animation. It's 100% 3D (which I don't usually like very much) but with the cell-shading and the amazing use of colour and light & shadows it looks awesome! This one is a must!
And so now, the only movie left to watch is One Missed Call tomorrow. I'm really hoping it's the horror movie I've been waiting for, a really good, freakish one like A Tale of Two Sisters. Since it's been directed by Takashi Miike, the director of Audition I'm confident it will be good. I do hope so!
After watching all of these movies, most of which are Korean I've come to love Korean cinema. The movies are fresh and original even when not great. I'm also impressed by the directors' humbleness who were among us viewers like regular people, unlike Jennifer Tilly whose invitation to the festival was withdrawn because she made too many excentric demands.

Attached Files
.jpg   03.jpg (Size: 128.82 KB / Downloads: 1)
.jpg   14.jpg (Size: 177.46 KB / Downloads: 0)
Andromeda18_ Wrote:But you know Rav, Oldboy will premiere here in regular movie theaters this month so it will definitely premiere in England as well. Don't miss it!

yeah im definatley gonna go watch it Big Grin

and hells yeah i sooo want Appleseed but want a good source Fansub or the darn R1/R2...coz otherwise the animation would be wasted if poor source/encode
gahhh im foaming Wink

on a side note my mates and i have made our second short movie filmed last weekend Big Grin..(inbetween my uni deadlines eek sooo many)
working title "Limbo" (approx 5 mins)the first was "Cognizance" (15mins)
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
And the winners are:

Oldboy - Best Picture & Best Screenplay
My Mother the Mermaid - Best Picture competing in the Orient Express section
Vital - Special Jury Award
Natural City - Best Visual Effects

There were other winners as well but since I didn't watch nor speak of those movies I don't think it's worth mentioning them.

Anyway, "One Missed Call" was everything I was hoping for! Big Grin Great horror movie! Not as good as "A Tale of Two Sisters" but still very good. It's a bit reminiscent of "Ringu" but it manages to be original. People kept jumping in their chairs in the movie theater. Like I said before, I don't get scared easily but this movie kept my heart rate high from the beginning to the end, I was completely stressed. Sugoi! Big Grin

rav96 Wrote:and hells yeah i sooo want Appleseed but want a good source Fansub or the darn R1/R2...coz otherwise the animation would be wasted if poor source/encode
gahhh im foaming Wink

on a side note my mates and i have made our second short movie filmed last weekend Big Grin..(inbetween my uni deadlines eek sooo many)
working title "Limbo" (approx 5 mins)the first was "Cognizance" (15mins)

If you wait until May you'll be able to buy Appleseed on DVD. Geneon is going to release a Limited Collector's Edition: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclop...hp?id=4194

Is there any way you could show me your short movies?
well you see my freind who is the director and main script writer hasnt done any online proper website for em yet coz hes been sending them of to critis and short film fest and competitions...but once he wants to put em online i'll post a link...if not i might just rencode them to a small rm file and upload em on the net

i did all the cinematography in the first flick
i did some in the second...also i cant act coz i just end up laughing Wink
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
rav96 Wrote:i did all the cinematography in the first flick
i did some in the second...also i cant act coz i just end up laughing Wink

I know what you mean, it's just too damn embarrassing! Big Grin