DVD Players Recommendation
I think this has been done before but I can't find it in the 'search' I did from a year ago till now.

I'm looking for recommendations for good and durable dvd players.
Preferably play all formats, dvd/dvdr/vcd/svcd/cdr etc.

I guess I have bad luck with dvd players. Over the last 6 mths, almost all of them died on me. Only 2 left and those 2 have to be the ones I dislike the most.
My favorite, JVC XVN55 had to die 1 week ago and it only lasted abt 9 mths. WT*!!!

My budget is anything below $300. I don't want to spend too much on dvd players only to have them die on me within a year.

All recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Unfortunately, I've started to think of DVD players as a disposable commodity these days. From now on, I plan on spending under $75 for a player and enjoying for as long as it lasts. You can get them for as little as $40 in many stores so why waste money.

The biggest problem is in the drive motors. Almost all of them have gone with either a single bearing or no bearing motors which wear out from use. This seems to be the number one cause of dead DVD players these days and the minimum charge to repair this part is over $100.

So, my recommendation is to go out and buy some cheap, generic DVD player that can handle DVD-Rs, MP3s and possibly even DiVX videos (just saw one for $59.99 the other day that handles all of those not far from my house).
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
yea Divx certified players are starting to pop up in us and canada.. its been in Eurupe for a while.. So far i got cheap player and it does alright.. my pioneer that i have had for 3 years hasn't given out on me yet.. funny.. my cheap one went out few months after i got it.. or i messed it up.. stopped working after i tried a dvd-r on it.. must of not liked that at all..
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?...pe=product

That's the cheapest one ive ever got...Ended up buying it for a gift and the other one I got 2 of for myself but they stopped making it I believe...The one above works decently from what ive seen only has a sound problem in my house due to my dads set up...Damn Home Theatre System LMAO...Anyways hope it helps
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
I think I should just get cheap dvd players so if they were to die within a year, i won't feel bad about it.

Damn...whoever told me that expensive dvd players usually last is going to eat up all my dead players.... :p
Japschin Wrote:I think I should just get cheap dvd players so if they were to die within a year, i won't feel bad about it.

Damn...whoever told me that expensive dvd players usually last is going to eat up all my dead players.... :p

Fact of life man ALMOST NOTHING is built to last...
[Image: IA.jpg]

'The depths of my soul are rooted in dark thoughts. But than we all have darkness and light in us. If we are all light on the outside we are nothing but darkness underneath. There comes a time when the darkness must come to light.'
- Shinobu Sensui -

It is only when you refuse to give in with all your heart that you begin to transcend your humanity. - Alucard

Trade List
R1 Collection
HK Collection
The most AWESOME DVD player ever is this Philips player. It's only like $60 or so (pretty cheap), and it's region free (after pressing 4 buttons), plays DivX (off the fly, no special programming needed), Xvid, Mpeg, mp3, DVD, DVD-R, RW, ANYTHING you throw at it.

I just burn my Anime AVI's to a DVD-R (can get about 12 episode or more on each DVD) and you just put it in, and it will play them. The quality is amazing, I've never had a single problem with the player, and it's probably the best DVD player I've ever had.

It's the Philips DVP642. It roooocks. I got mine at my local Target.
Puppet Master Wrote:Fact of life man ALMOST NOTHING is built to last...

Sad thing is if they cared they could build them to last. I'm not an environmentalist, but that does piss me off. Wasting our natural resources on purpose for profit. Same thing with cars. They could make cars eat up so much less gas, but they don't. Bastards.
dvd_master Wrote:The most AWESOME DVD player ever is this Philips player. It's only like $60 or so (pretty cheap), and it's region free (after pressing 4 buttons), plays DivX (off the fly, no special programming needed), Xvid, Mpeg, mp3, DVD, DVD-R, RW, ANYTHING you throw at it.

I just burn my Anime AVI's to a DVD-R (can get about 12 episode or more on each DVD) and you just put it in, and it will play them. The quality is amazing, I've never had a single problem with the player, and it's probably the best DVD player I've ever had.

It's the Philips DVP642. It roooocks. I got mine at my local Target.

Hm... I may sell mine and buy one of these...

Mine's kind of a piece of junk, and the controller is just sad. Have to press play at least 3 times to get it to play, such a spotty controller.

I wish I wasn't leaving in a week for vacation, hesitant to buy anything right now lol. (online that is)
I have the same Sony dvd player I have had for almost 2 years and it works great. I do wish though it would play more types of media. In my classroom there is this nice panasonic player that plays regions 0-5 and many other types of media. I think that when the Sony dies, I am picking up a panasonic one...