Phone Fraud Help
Sad Anybody I could use any information you have on fighting against a group who committed fraud through phone calls. My mom got ripped off by some company claiming to clean old credit information. They asked her to send a check for $200 and they would hook her up with better credit and an offer for a credit card with a 15,000 limit for her to use. So, far it seems they ripped her off because some time has passed and they haven't sent anything and they have cashed the money from the check. When she tried to call and ask what was happening with the credit card and information, they cussed her out and began hanging up on her.

The Group called themselves the Visa Credit Corp.
I have their phone number and will soon have the information from where the check was cashed or whatever the bank will tell us.
Basically, I all I want is any helpful tips or websites that you could provide so that she can get her money back.
Thank You any Information is appreciated.
BTW the phone number is 1-866-804-5469. Its toll free and when I try to do a reverse listing on the number I don't get anything.
Legaly I don't think you can do anything. You send the check of your free will and there's nothing on paper that proves they have a service to give you for that money. If you find their adress you can pay them a visit but I don't recomend that without knowing who your dealing with if you get my point.

If they call themselfs Visa credit group you could contact visa and inform them about some people who are abusing their name. Maybe they can take action to stop them from doing what they do to other people in the future but getting your money back is impossible I think.

I must say that this was not a smart thing to do and if you accept offers like this you kinda bring it onto yourself but good luck anyway.
There has to be some sort of mail fraud going on if he mailed the check using the USPS correct? I figure that'd be his best bet. Not really sure though.
Did you contact you bank about the fraud check? You need some kind of ID and if you say the check was used for fraud then bam you got someway of getting the money back. Also contact the BBB.
you'de have to report it. if you take it up to your bank they should help you.
[Image: ffc.jpg]
tsunami Wrote:Did you contact you bank about the fraud check? You need some kind of ID and if you say the check was used for fraud then bam you got someway of getting the money back. Also contact the BBB.

I don't think that'll work. I used to work at a bank. They're not gonna give him his money back because he got gypped. If he actually wrote and signed a check to these people and they cashed it, then they've done their job. They're not entitled to insure him or anything like that with his check purchases.

It's 'fraud' as far as the bank is concerned if someone stole his check or made thier own check and signed it using his account number or presented a similar fraudulent check to them. This was a legitimate check that those people presented and cashed.
How about Better Business Bureau? Will they do anything?

The rule of thumb is never ever buy anything from phone solicitation. If it sounds too good to be true, it ain't true.
BBB doesn't do crap. All they ever do is to blacklist you as in leave the record in. That's it.
It doesn't help if that company isn't a member of BBB.
Umm.. call the police. Call the media.

I really hope your mum doesn't do something like that again.