what r your thoughts?
hey i was just wondering what everyone thought about square making games for nintendo again. i for one hate it, because i like sony a lot more then nintendo.what r your thoughts on the subject?
Once the threads of fate are tangled they can never be undone..
I think that the GC is a great little rig but I doubt nintendo and square will get along all that long for two reasons. Nintendo has always stated away from more mature games they love to cater to the kiddies more then the adults with their games. Square does make some very semi adult orientated games( Resident Evil is one of the few exceptions for nintendo) Plus Nintendo for some reason just doesent take RPG's as serious as Sony does. I get the feeling they are telling Square what they want made and not letting Square have 100% creative fredom
I am "Pedro" I am an afro warrior-----
Excel saga
i hope it doesnt last because i want some real damn rpgs, right now im fine since im playing all my old ones such as kartia world of fate, wild arms, and the lunar legends.
I totally agree. I feel like it is slim pickings when it comes to good rpgs for the ps2. The psone had SO MANY sweet rpgs. I am really looking forward to Dragon Warrior 8. I hope it is as fun as the other games in the series were...
you think it is slim pickins on the PS2, get a Game Cube you will be in a corner fitting because of the lack of good RPG titles
Excel saga
Rarnom, while I totally respect your opinion, I must beg to differ. The PS2 currently has a wonderful library of RPGs, almost as plentiful as the PSOne did. I do believe that while the PSOne may have had more RPGs in total, nearly an equal number of them were quite disappointing.

Here's a list I posted in an earlier thread, that lists the RPGs I've enjoyed to this day on the PS2:

- Disgaea: Hour of Darkness
- La Pucelle Tactics
- Front Mission 4
- Xenosaga
- Wild Arms Third Ignition
- Super Robot Wars series (Japanese only)
- Harvest Moon: Save the Homeland
- Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter
- Final Fantasy X
- Final Fantasy X-2
- Final Fantasy XI
- Dark Cloud I, II
- Suikoden III
- Kingdom Hearts
- Shadow Hearts

And here's a list of games I'm looking forward to playing. I must admit, this fall and next spring are a great time for PS2 RPG players. There's a flotilla of quality titles coming, some of which include:

- Growlanser Generations (a collection of the entire Growlanser trilogy of titles, end of the August)
- Suikoden IV (Nov 2004)
- Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (end of August)
- Phantom Brave (sequel to Disgaea, at the end of August)
- Wild Arms: Alter Code F (complete remake of original Wild Arms, scheduled for November release)
- Wild Arms: Another Code F (brand new game, no relation to Alter Code F)
- Shadow Hearts II (Sept 2004)
- Xenosaga II (Feb 2005)
- Kingdom Hearts II (2005)
- Final Fantasy XII (2005)
- Tales of Symphonia (2005)
- Tales of Rebirth (scheduled to arrive on PS2 before GC, 2005/06)
- Dragon Quest VIIII (2005/06)
- Mega Man X Command Mission (later this year)
- several new Shining Force titles (courtesy of Sega)

Honestly, I've had a great time with most of the current titles I stated. Every company had their own ideas as to what next-gen games should be like, and most of them were brilliant. For instance, games such Disgaea, La Pucelle Tactics, and (most likely) Phantom Brave prove that cutting-edge graphics aren't needed for a fantastically fun gaming experience, while titles such as Xenosaga and Final Fantasy X, prove that storytelling can be improved with better graphics.
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
Rarnom, while I totally respect your opinion, I must beg to differ. The PS2 currently has a wonderful library of RPGs, almost as plentiful as the PSOne did. I do believe that while the PSOne may have had more RPGs in total, nearly an equal number of them were quite disappointing.

Fair enough. Smile Now that you list those I guess 'slim pickings' was the wrong word... and like Mantis said, of the three systems, the Ps2 does have the biggest library of rpgs so far.

btw, how was Front Mission 4? I loved 3 and I am curious if it is as good or better than FM3...
Square has produced crap lately.... FF11 with the need for online play (ohh no can't be phantasy star online.), unlimited saga (monopoly like RPG that sucks the big one) and Xenosaga (The game I slept through and beat at level 29. This was a enix production as I recall but hey they are a part of square now.)

I guess a change of systems would be good for Square. The Final Fantasy game for GC was pretty good. It would be cool to have a four person RPG that you can 3 friends (live players) to beat the game. That would be so cool cause then you could have you buds over and you can beat an RPG together while still being able to make it a single player game also cause the single player file would be different from the group file. Maybe I'm too optimistic. But hey group RPGs sounds cool.
Well I think I am just repeating myself from another thread I play single player RPG's for the most part. I got the FF game for GC because of the name. Graphics and sound it is a wonderful game. Game play itself just was a pain and was not fun. By the way the only reason I can't play multiplayer is brcause non of my friends want to get GC they all have PS IIs or X-Box
Excel saga
xbox is fun if u have a lot of friends a few xboxs and a few tvs in two different rooms because it has lan so u could have 8 on 8 in halo and its really fun. thats just about the only non rpg ill play
RPGs suck, Hadoken bitches!!! I think Square and Nintendo were great back in the day. the RPGs they made for Sony could not hold a candle to what Square and Nintendo had. Sure the Sony Rpgs were pretty, but for some reason I just couldn't play them anymore. They were concentrating more in the graphics than the storytelling.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
Quote:Originally posted by rarnom
Fair enough. Smile Now that you list those I guess 'slim pickings' was the wrong word... and like Mantis said, of the three systems, the Ps2 does have the biggest library of rpgs so far.

btw, how was Front Mission 4? I loved 3 and I am curious if it is as good or better than FM3...
Front Mission 4 is pretty good, though I wish they kept some of the features in Front Mission 3. The Wanzers move like slow behemoths, and not like the sliding menaces they were in the previous games, but the graphics and sound are definitely a step up from its predecessors. However, it was a lot of fun, and the English voice acting is superb, probably since even the Japanese version had the English VAs only.

If you enjoyed FM3, then you'll probably have a great time with 4. Just don't expect everything from 3 to be in FM4. I think that sums it up pretty well.

Also, Square Enix is currently developing a Front Mission Online title, which is about to undergo beta testing, but only in Japan, I believe. However, I wouldn't be surprised if the game would require you to pay a monthly fee, similar to FF XI.
yeah BACK IN THE DAY they made good rpgs together, now they suck ass.
They suck ass because you're making them suck ass. Stop comparing them so much to their predecssors, and just try to play the game as a fresh new game, with no grudges or favoritism towards past titles. You'll find that you'll enjoy the games a lot more that way, instead of thinking, "This sucks compared to the last one" all the time when playing.
Well How I rank them is
GC- colorful kiddy games and Sega leftovers
Sony - King of the RPG and titles for adults
Microsoft- Halo, Halo and more Halo but lots of potential
Excel saga