most influential anime
Quote:Originally posted by Mantis421
I was thinking that with all the anime out there which ones have changed the industry or were monumental in getting anime noticed good or bad...

Pay close attention to the getting anime noticed part. I was writing mostly about that. Maybe you missed this part(but then again t took me like three post to get my answer strait[that's right I forgot how to spell it the other way{nobody ever really uses this bracet so I felt like giving it a backrub or something}]). You know what, just forget about it I'm just a dumb ass that Rav owns.:eek:
Quote:Originally posted by Robojack
Oh, so now I'm supposed to be psychic, and make assumptions about the thread creator?

Yes.
Quote:Originally posted by ArkaidR
You know what, just forget about it I'm just a dumb ass that Rav owns.:eek:

Indeed! Your soul is forever mine

Mwahahahahaha

and i'll enter this thread properly when i can be asled to type out the essay ive got prepared to answer itWink
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
Yeah I think we all got off the topic alittle from my original post, no big deal thats what makes the boards interesting is the diffenent direction topics can go. Anybody know the record here for the most replies a non moderator post has ever recieved?
Would it not be argueable that Astroboy and Speed Racer were the two titles that captivated early US anime viewers
I don't think so. 95% of viewers didn't know they were anime at the time and probably still don't.
I'm going to get flamed here but...

Why does everyone like Akira so much. I think I'm the only one that thinks the story is bad. I didn't like Akira at all... I don't see why people worship this film.

DBZ and Sailormoons paved the way for anime to be translated and broadcasted on TV... from what I remember anyway... but I'll always have a place for Saint Seiya and Doraemon
I didn't like Akira, particularly since I've read the manga. The story was rather butchered. I agree with you how it's really overhyped. I saw nothing special about it when I watched the original version so many years ago, and the later remastered edition really didn't do much to impress me either.

Personally, what I really liked at the time was the movie SDF Macross: Do You Remember Love?, since not only was the animation was quite nice for the time, the story it told (and how it was told), and the music really left a mark on me, even till today. It was a creative and concise way of retelling the long and occasionally winded story (even I, a Macross fanatic, can admit that) found in the SDF Macross TV series .
Quote:Originally posted by inzomniak
I'm going to get flamed here but...

Why does everyone like Akira so much. I think I'm the only one that thinks the story is bad. I didn't like Akira at all... I don't see why people worship this film.

DBZ and Sailormoons paved the way for anime to be translated and broadcasted on TV... from what I remember anyway... but I'll always have a place for Saint Seiya and Doraemon

DBZ and Sailormoon made anime cheaper in America. It didn't pave the way. Shows like Robotech, Starblazers, Voltron, and Speed Racer. Now those shows paved the way here in the states. Everyone should respect Akira (go check out the thread) because of its influence. The animation and color blew everything else aside. It was one of Streamline's first projects and if not for Streamline it would have been until DBZ and Sailormoon before Anime would have had its first wave. Macross Do You Remember Love is still one of the most beautiful pieces of work I have ever seen, for its age it still holds to todays animation.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
To the best of my memory, Akira was the first anime movie marketed in North American theatres. I had to drive four hours down to Chicago to go see it at the time but I don't think there were any theatrical releases in North America prior to that.

It was a year or two later before I saw Lensman in the theatres and only in the past few years have the Miyazaki movies finally been showing up here.

Akira was groundbreaking stuff when it was released. Even today the animation stands out as very high quality with some amazing direction. It has always left a lot of people scratching their heads over the story line but it's the animation that makes it shine.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
I have to somewhat agree with you on that, Zagatto. While I said earlier that Akira didn't impress me much when I first watched it, its animation WAS the only thing that impressed me somewhat. Aside from that, I can't really say got me noticing anime, since I've been watching anime since I was a toddler.
Quote:Originally posted by Zagatto
To the best of my memory, Akira was the first anime movie marketed in North American theatres.

When was Akira shown in American Theatre? I remember watching Laputa: Castle in the Sky back in around 1988 in one of New York theaters. I am thinking that Laputa was US before Akira.
I think that was the UK version of Laputa, I don't know if they showed it in the theaters or not here in the States, but that version ripped the original script to shreds.
http://www.aboutheroes.com Best comic book podcast!!! Come and join in!
Ok,
I am saying that if it wasent for disney there would be no anime. he created animation and brought it out to everyone on a wide spectrum. so you cant tell me we had nothing to do with anime . cause you are fu*king wrong. maybe you should sit down and read some history. so it is all thanks to Disney for influencing japan to make animation new and better with more immerse stories and animation, they are just trying to work off something they loved and respected. so leave it at that and dont you dare tell me im wrong cause i know first hand. (watch the making of kingdom hearts they talk all about square soft getting started with making games cause of disney and what he could create)

so take it, process it, and get over it !

-LE
[Image: delphinesig.jpg]

"Lightning strikes only once in the same place, so ill have to get you the first time." -LE

MY HK LIST

MY TRADE LIST
Disney created animation? Hold on while I update my history books!
I always thought that Winsor McCay got things rolling in 1914 with Gertie the Dinosaur with further developments from Max Fleischer and Walter Lanz also working on animation in 1914. Then there was Otto Messmer in 1916 with all his characters that came out
All of that before Steamboat Willie was in theatres in 1928.

It's a good thing that Disney created animation though...

Oh wait... this is supposed to be about influence on Japanese cartoons. Then I guess IMOKAWA MUKUZOU:GENKANBAN NO MAKI(Doorkeeper) which came out in 1917 was also influenced by Disney then.

Of course just because Osamu Tezuka acknowledges that Disney influenced some of his style and animation techniques when he created Astro Boy that means without Disney he wouldn't have been able to create his famous story.

God bless the almighty Disney.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.