question about DVD and DVD+R
Ok I just need to understand something here, so if anyone can help, please do so.

What is the main difference between a normal DVD you get from here (imports) and a dvd+R. Assume I have one of each, and they both have the same movie with the same menu's etc, and both have the same image printed on the dvd.

Would there be any other differences?
Quote:Originally posted by animeshop
Ok I just need to understand something here, so if anyone can help, please do so.

What is the main difference between a normal DVD you get from here (imports) and a dvd+R. Assume I have one of each, and they both have the same movie with the same menu's etc, and both have the same image printed on the dvd.

Would there be any other differences?

Yes, the DVD+R would be purplish blue in color whereas the factory pressed one will either be silver or goldish in color on the playing side. The label on the DVD+R is probably not quite as good as the factory pressed one depending on what type of paper they used to print it out and label it with. (not quite as shiny or vibrant in color perhaps unless they used glossy photo quality paper and photo quality printing) Some factory labels are burned into the DVD and the DVD+R one will be pasted onto the DVD+R. Those with a silver type of holographic label burned into the DVD will not be silver on a DVD+R, it will be multi-colored with a rainbow effect.

Oh, and just so you know, the DVD+R would be a copy of the normal DVD.
Quote:Originally posted by Amethyst
Some factory labels are burned into the DVD

Wrong. All labels on DVDs (and CDs for that matter) are usually going to be a vinyl label that will be stuck to the DVD. In some cases, (such as PS2 games and CD-Rs) the label has the metal sheet with the pits directly underneath it, but stuck to the top of a plastic disc (which is totally cheap, since scratching the top of the CD will render the game unplayable at some point. Other cases, it will be underneath the top plastic layer.

The main difference between a DVD and a DVD-R is the actual medium of both discs. a DVD utilizes a sheet of metal with all the pits and whatnot that are pressed in between two or on top of a plastic disc. When it's stuck on top of a disc, it usually has an adhesive that makes it stick to the plastic and then the label is stuck to the top of that. In other cases (when the DVD is a dual layer DVD), the metal discs are put on top of a single layer of plastic and then another layer will be affixed to the top of that. I'm not sure if they're glued or melted. I'd assume glued.

DVD-Rs, on the other hand, have all the pits created by a ink. A laser will change the shape of the ink.
aha, ok im understanding this more now - thanks guys
Basically DVD+R and -R's you can burn yourself DVD you have to press in factories...