Help-what is this I have-Escaflowne
Hi folks,
new here....and pretty new to import buying....sooooo I"m starting to learn that there are different products for the same anime out there, first question is how can you tell what your buying if you can't see the package first or is that going to make a huge difference...so far the items I bought that I see have the FX logo on them have been really good but I also have one that has no logo and I can't find it here...
:confused:
it's Escaflowne...it's a blue cover with a scene with a lot of the characters..so far I just started watching it and whatever this is it's a great rip (if that's the term)....
it's 3dvds....english& japanese language, ntsc, hi-stereo, 4.3, mpeg2, english and chinese subs.....it says also D9x3 and a number F0038 ....(F003802 is the number on the disks)
the title is at the top of the box, The Vision of escaflowne (small e) the TV Series. 26 episodes
in the bottom left corner I presume are chinese characters...it's a nice overall package..but one of the disk holders doesn't work right.....

so anyone know?:confused:

next question....how often is FX copied and do these copies also copy their logo on the box...I notice the FX discs I have to have a distinctive look to them, I don't know if this is consistant...
these are the titles I have so far....

Love Hina (pink cover) FX logo on side and back, jenglish/japanese language, eng-sub, 3 discs L003-3 (says on disc) 26 episods

Hellsing- 2 disc,english/japanese language, eng-sub, 13 episodes, this one really has a nice package, H005-2

now and then, here and there, says FX only on the back, I"m thinking this is a rip of FX, the disks have a yahoo email addy and say some things on it, also not consistant printing with each disk, one has MA214E-03, the other two don't include that.
3 discs, english/japanese language, eng-subs, 13 episodes

Lain- now I"m getting the idea FX labels usually have their logo the side and back, but I"m not sure if this is consistant ...so this one does too...
2 discs, english/japanese language, eng. sub, 13 episodes
inside jacket gives you the episode titles on both sides, one side reversed (for effect) L001-1

so maybe someone can help me identify these...I guess if they all look and sound good it isn't a big deal but I'm trying to get to know the world of anime imports a bit better....

is FX the most popular import out there? seems a lot of the ones sold are FX.
thanks in advance, I can provide cover pics if that helps....
Lain_animegirlSmile
Quote:Originally posted by lain_animegirl
now I"m getting the idea FX labels usually have their logo the side and back, but I"m not sure if this is consistant
Not all Fx have their logo's on the package. Some Fx title's say "Animation World International Limited" these are rips of certain studios ADV, Funimation, Ghibli movies, etc.

As for specific companies of a certain set look them up in the reviews section on this site. They have sku# so you can match them. Hope that helps.
thanks,
it helps a bit, the only thing is that some of the sku# don't seem to exsist here...that's the numbers on the disc right?

well curious I be, I was looking at berserk and that's another one with a lot of different dvds out there...

do people just buy them according to the lang and subs or are people actually looking for who put them out because I don't see how one can tell that esp if buying online at auctions or some of the online stores...so was curious..so far all the ones I have a very good, no complaints but for the little glitch I found on one disc on the now and then dvd...

thanks for your help:-)
animegirl

do people just buy them according to the lang and subs or are people actually looking for who put them out because I don't see how one can tell that esp if buying online at auctions or some of the online stores...so was curious..
thanks for your help:-)
animegirl

The two aren't mutually exclusive - the lang (type) and subs (quality and type) are often dependent on the company produces the sets. FX releases are probably the most desirable because they are usually straight R1 rips and will have (depending on how the series was produced) two audio tracks and decent English subtitles. MI might also produce R1 rips, but sometimes they add Chinese subtitles or their own menus, etc.

It can be a lottery buying stuff on eBay so if you're not willing to take the risk buy from here - you'll get exactly what you pay for and not a cheeky substitution.
Playing: Final Fantasy X-2, Silent Hill and MGS (PSX).
Watching:

My Anime Collection
thanks Prophet Hero, I'll look into it for some of my import buys...I am in the US so I was debating if I should buy the imports out of the US because of customs.. but I'm guessing there are US buyers here and haven't had a problem.

anyway thats good info, ok another silly question....(I have never burned cds, dvds or that sort so I really am not familar with all the terms ) but what does RIP stand for? Rolleyes

ok side note but how does one get an avatar, I tried to get one but that didn't work, not sure how?

peace,
animegirl
Cool

anyway thats good info, ok another silly question....(I have never burned cds, dvds or that sort so I really am not familar with all the terms ) but what does RIP stand for? Rolleyes

ok side note but how does one get an avatar, I tried to get one but that didn't work, not sure how?

Rip isn't an acronym, but rather a more literal term for a direct copy, e.g. a R1 rip is a direct copy of the R1 original DVD.

I'm afraid you'll have to chalk up at least 50 posts before you can have an avatar so stick around!
Playing: Final Fantasy X-2, Silent Hill and MGS (PSX).
Watching:

My Anime Collection
...it's a nice overall package..but one of the disk holders doesn't work right.....

hehe, if you ask me, sounds like an MI set.