Questions for JunkieJoe
I've heard alot about of defective disks... I don't have any, but I do know that they can be replaced. I was wondering if there is a certain timeframe that a defective disk has to be sent in to get a replacement. The reason I think of this is that if there is a big set and they don't discover a problem until weeks after (just because it took them that long to watch to that point) is it still eligable for replacement?

Does how long you have the set matter for replacing the a defective set (if it's still the first viewing)?

I just want to know if I have to find defects within a certain amount of time. If so, are there tests you can run without spot checking the set (which may contain spoiling)?

Thanks Wink
spot chaecking as i usually do is effective but then there is always the gamble that all the spots you check are working and the rest isnt!

i was looking for a prog that checks DVD but all i could find were ones that check the integrity and not the pressed image itself

does anyone know of one?
Theres the...

Wrong way

the...

Right way

then the...

Rav way!

\m/
Quote:Originally posted by rav96
spot chaecking as i usually do is effective but then there is always the gamble that all the spots you check are working and the rest isnt!

i was looking for a prog that checks DVD but all i could find were ones that check the integrity and not the pressed image itself

does anyone know of one?

things that cehck the Integraty are checking the pressed image.. ;o) because if you can't read from the disc then you can't read from the pressed image..
i generally use a program called CDCheck that can check dvd's.. to make sure it can read everything.. But then again most people say that there Computers will read the discs but there dvd players won't.. so that doesn't help either..
Wow, that's very good to know, I never even thought to look for such a program. And, my DVD player plays DVDs my computer won't, so...

I really like my DVD player, I haven't come up with a reason for this yet, but it has been my experience thus far in life that combination sets (TV/VCR, TV/DVD/VCR, etc.) work twice as good as normal sets. I know there's the concern that if you break one part, it is difficult to repair. That rarely happens, though, and if it's the player part, you can replace it. I've used three combo sets in my life, and they're all still working. One, I really messed up and it quit working, but one year later I just randomly plugged it in again and it worked. It still works 100% It's odd bringing VHS tapes into it, but when I had a little combo TV/VCR it would play tapes that other VCRs wouldn't, without fuzzing up or anything. Maybe it's just been my luck, but it's worked for me EVERY time. The one I have now is a Sylvania TV/VCR/DVD and it has so far played anything.
A program that detects defects would be nice, but I was wondering for JunkieJoe... How long is the period of time in which given from purchase date to figure out how long I need to report a defect to get a replacement? (it's a real simple question actually Wink)

Oh, I found CDCheck here. Thanks for the information Schultz!
I asked JJ that before and his reply was," as long as it is a decent time lapse" but I pmed him before to ask if it is possible to send back the defective dvd which I bought/traded with him before I sent it back without notice.

MY ANIME COLLECTION
Quote:Originally posted by Japschin
I asked JJ that before and his reply was," as long as it is a decent time lapse" but I pmed him before to ask if it is possible to send back the defective dvd which I bought/traded with him before I sent it back without notice.

Decent time lapse is good... so it depends on the set meaning the bigger the set the longer you get to view for problems... would make sense.
it means months are ok, years are not ok
Well, I started this thread with a reason and that reason has been fulfilled. Last night on my Rurouni Kenshin set... I found a defect... A whole chapter cannot be played. (it freezes up and it won't play)

After discovering this I came up with a way to detect defects... I checked the rest of my Kenshin set and they're all fine besides the one. You can find a defect by fast-forwarding through the set... if it stops you check the spot. And I didn't even have to look at the screen, so no spoilers! I watched the display panel and I listened to the player, it works too!

I am sending the defective disc on Monday for a replacement. Just wondering... Is there anything else I need to add to my shipment, like a note or a message? Or do I just send the disc and nothing else?
Your name/address inside with disc in readable form... return address on the label usually gets pretty washed out during shipping, so please include one inside.