Codec Problem
I got a new PC a few months ago, and just afew days ago installed Win XP. Now the problem is all my avi movie files won't play properly as it did when I was running win98 on the same PC before. It plays, but it only played a little pert of the top left corner.

i tried everything I knew, Installing the codecs individually, use FFDshow individually, Xvid individually, both at once, all codec, reinstalling DirectX 9. Used GSpot, it said there is compatible codec and directshow. but the problem still persist.

.....maybe I should try putting DX7, since my 98 only up till DX7.
did you install the proper video card drivers? Which media player are you using?
Well you could be having problems with Overlay on your system.. why you get a piece of the video and not the rest.. What i would recommand is download Media Player Classic from http://sf.net/projects/guliverkli/ you can choose which video renderer you wish to use.. and alot of different options to figure out whats going on.. It also tells you which filters are loaded etc..
yea, what kind of video card do you have? try getting the lastest drivers as kakomu suggested. if you have an ATI card (not sure about NVIDIA) there is an overlay tab under the advanced display settings that you might want to check out. is it that there is a black box over the video or what exactly? if you can, post a screenshot. personally i use media player classic to play all of my files. you can also check out bsplayer or vlc.

also, koepi just released a compiled version of xvid 1rc2 that you might want to check out as well.
I use regular Media Player 6.4 which comes with WinXP. The file name is mplayer2.exe and it's in the same directory as the newer WMP. Also, how new is the video you're trying to play?
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
I use regular Media Player 6.4 which comes with WinXP. The file name is mplayer2.exe and it's in the same directory as the newer WMP. Also, how new is the video you're trying to play?

If you use Media Player 6.4 then you should check out Media Player Classic.. Its a clone look of Mp6.4 but ALOT i mean ALOT more option.s. It has internal decoders for Mpeg 2 / AC3 plus its own avi file reader which can play broken avi files.. you can have full control over filters loading into your Direct Show graph.. Like totally blocking them etc.. so for anyone that uses Media Player 6.4 this is a must replacement..
I'll back Schultz up on this one.
MPC is easily the best program for playing movies that I've seen.
It handles Quicktime as well as MPeg and Divx file with equal ease.
It doesn't use hardly any resources and gives tons of flexibility.
Gullible isn't in the dictionary.
thanks people,

i'll give everything here a shot
good news, problem solved. I downloaded MPC, which is great and not sucking resource like WMP9. From there I know it not the codec problem. cause I played a VCD and DVD on MPC the same problem show up. but when i played the on cyberlink DVD player its alright. so i Check the direct show, which I couldn't find on WMP9, and tried every setting. the sweet spot is the old renderer.

The source of the problem is maybe the video card, its old.:p and maybe my ignorant