free app to play HKDVD to capture scree shots?
Hi,

Can someone tell me where can I download install a free app that plays HKDVD so I can capture screen shots for anime review?

Thanks
Cyberlink's PowerDVD has a trial version thats great!
Yup PowerDVD is great for taking screenshots, takes the subs and all which WinDVD didn't for me.

Another suggestion is hypersnap, it can take screenshots of video overlays like a DVD or even Divx/mpeg4 files. There is a demo but it puts an ugly stamp in the corner of the screenshot.
]
If you're desperate try virtualdubmod, load a vob file into it. Search for the screenshot you wanna take, press ctrl+1 to copy the frame onto your clipboard. Not very convenient though and can't take screenshots with subs.
For that Hypersnap one, can't you take a screenshot of the whole desktop (with the DVD player on) so the stamp appears on the part of the desktop and not the DVD, then just crop out that part?
what i found when taking a screenshot of the whole desktop manually (print screen, paste in paint) the video windows always come out Black)
Quote:Originally posted by JunkieJoe
what i found when taking a screenshot of the whole desktop manually (print screen, paste in paint) the video windows always come out Black)

Because typically when you play a DVD movie on your computer, it's not playing on the same layer as your screen is, it's actually playing on a seperate layer.
[Image: ShinnSig.jpg]
[ #Uke-Fansubs current projects: Gundam SEED Destiny ]
I'm downloading Cyberlinks 14-days trial powerDVD... To bad it's not a freeware. Thanks for the suggestion.
Or you can download the full thing from http://www.fukrulez.com . Not exactly legal, but we're an HK DVD community, aren't we? Smile
I already told him where to get it from. Big Grin
http://www.e-lunatic.org

*cough*

Rolleyes
Never is ever forever...

[Image: inuyasha.gif]
Quote:Originally posted by JunkieJoe

Same problem here with power dvd , i had to disable
the hardware acceleration of my video card (problem might be with directx ) but subtitles won't be on the screenshot.
Quote:Originally posted by Suzakuseikun
I already told him where to get it from. Big Grin

Yes, thanks again for the help. You can see I've gone crazy with MI SD part2 screenshots adding ;-)
well, that black screen is called video overlay. Essentially what happens is that the computer will use the Video card to display the video rather than using additional processing power to do so. The video card can also make the video look better, since it will employ smoothing, color correction and approprite resize algorithms. It will also make the video run smoother and at the appropriate frame rate. Basically, it's better to keep it on, than not to.

If you're really concerned about taking screen shots, use PowerDVD 4 rather than messing with hardware settings.
PowerDVD 5 fixes some errors in PowerDVD 4. 'Specifically playback of DVD+R.
Quote:Originally posted by kakomu
well, that black screen is called video overlay. Essentially what happens is that the computer will use the Video card to display the video rather than using additional processing power to do so. The video card can also make the video look better, since it will employ smoothing, color correction and approprite resize algorithms. It will also make the video run smoother and at the appropriate frame rate. Basically, it's better to keep it on, than not to.

If you're really concerned about taking screen shots, use PowerDVD 4 rather than messing with hardware settings.

Well, do not worry about me i've just dled windvd platinum 5 and it works perfectly Smile
(i had to turn on this time hardware acceleration in the windvd settings )